• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Life After The 2017 Introductory Model... How About The Elio Ii?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have read criticisms and diatribes regarding pickup truck and SUV use for years. What often isn't considered is the resource consumption associated with having multiple vehicles. I have had a pickup and a commuter vehicle for most of my adult life. And that has made sense to me given my rural living and urban/suburban work. But when one considers the carbon footprint of the second vehicle (the commuter), it makes more environmental sense to use the pickup exclusively.

There could be an argument made that the 5% of the time I need to haul things or tow my tractor from point to point or move 4-5 people around or yank my Zero-turn mower out of a mud hole or commute in poor weather could be solved by renting a truck or other large vehicle. There are efficiency and convenience factors which come into play.

I might be projecting, but I assume the majority of people are not trying to be douches. Yes, they (and I) look like douches commuting alone in that large vehicle. I do not think any observer has enough information to adequately judge.

Independent of all of that, the infrastructure needs to be capable of supporting commercial traffic as well. Outlaw my 1/2 ton pickup if you must, but there are commercial needs for vehicles of all sizes. This seems to have gotten lost in the lane sharing/brick pattern/lane narrowing discussion above.
I'm not judging anyone's choice of vehicles for whatever their reasoning, only replying to a truck owner who sees no apparent value in some else's choice of or for the development of a narrow vehicle and how it may free up parking space for your pickup. Drive what you like, like what you drive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is sort of a moot point, but growing up I lived in a suburb about 30 miles from NY City.
From time to time I was sent to one of our downtown offices for about a month at a time.
(32 AOTA for those familiar with NY.)
I did not drive in to the city. I drove to the train station and left my car in the parking lot there.
Then I took the Erie RR to Hoboken, grabbed the "Tubes" (you may know it as PATH) into the city, and the subway to Canal St.
So, Yes! I actually understand commuting.
What I don't understand is why those large companies with no real infrastructure stay in the heart of cities. Telecommuting is so much more effective.
Perhaps because it provides for non-telecommuting jobs and keeps the cities alive and vibrant........otherwise everybody would be moving to your neck of the woods and it would become crowded. If everybody tell-commutes there would be no market for the Elio commuter.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps because it provides for non-telecommuting jobs and keeps the cities alive and vibrant........otherwise everybody would be moving to your neck of the woods and it would become crowded. If everybody tell-commutes there would be no market for the Elio commuter.
Yes there would; they still need a way to get to Starbucks :p

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is definitely life outside of Metropolis. In fact, it is the heart of the country.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't know about that. City folks might not like the coons scratching at their door trying to get in.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The apparent USA's City pickup truck driver mentality (a pickup truck used as a single occupant urban commuter) makes the idea of efficiently increasing the use of the existing number of parking spaces by 33% in any crowded City difficult to understand. Those folks may not even care about the concept of narrow and/or more space efficient commuter vehicle design.

It seems smart to plan for future transportation needs that may help to prevent those big cities from sprawling into our peaceful and quiet countryside.

When I bought my small pickup, I needed one, I then moved and now no longer use it like I used to. Why would I get rid of it? It has been paid off for more than 10 years. I looked at other vehicles yet would still keep my truck after buying one. It is nice to have the option of being able to carry items. I also don't understand how you can speak for a group of people that you know nothing about.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I bought my small pickup, I needed one, I then moved and now no longer use it like I used to. Why would I get rid of it? It has been paid off for more than 10 years. I looked at other vehicles yet would still keep my truck after buying one. It is nice to have the option of being able to carry items. I also don't understand how you can speak for a group of people that you know nothing about.
That's the definition of politics, isn't it? Impose your desires on strangers you do not know.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Having owned several pickups, I know all about owning a pickup. Drive what you like, like what you drive. I have no idea why you would sell yours and wasn't speaking for the group, only responding to one with my sarcastic post regarding narrow vehicles requiring less parking space to make more room for our big trucks and Elio's.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Derailed-topic[1].jpg

This thread it starting to go in a bad direction; and we really don't need arguments like this; too many things are getting lost in translation.
So back on track, or I'll close it.

Top Bottom