• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Locked In

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First let me say that I stand by everything Coss said.
However, I think it's fair to let you know that someone here does feel your pain.

I think the switch is a disappointment to some of us for a number of different reasons.
But I also suspect that it was necessary to stay within real-world constraints for cost and production rate.
And then there's also those up-side things like tighter vehicle tolerances and weight savings.

As far as a scam and/or incompetence...

You can easily interpret many of the "forward thinking statements" that way if if you're inclined to.
But I suggest that it was more likely enthusiasm for, and overconfidence in, the original vehicle design...
And ditto for statements about the marketing strategy, business plan and subsequent projected time line to production.

On occasion, EM has proven not to be the most all-knowing automotive deities the perhaps we'd hoped they were.
But they seem to have stayed on this thing like a hungry terrier on a bone for how many years now?
They've ticked some of us off a number of times with some amazing, but relatively small, stumbles and blunders...
But it seems that they're still on the path to selling me a unbelievable vehicle at an unheard of price.
I agree. Paul has been fighting uphill to provide this vehicle to us. Yea we have put some money down, and waited a couple years, but Paul has been doing all the work and put a lot more money in than we have. We can have a few gripes about not having yellow for an option, or not having the dent proof composite panels, or the funny gauges, but if Paul pulls off the "Must Have 4 things", we are going to have a blast. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. This thing is just about there. It is entering the birth canal almost, we can almost see the light at the end of Paul's tunnel. If he asks me to put my money where my mouth is, I don't mind committing to buy one. It would be nice if I could help out more. Anyway, this is so close and he is sticking to his must haves from day one. That is one tenacious guy. Kudos to him.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm # 12,957. The fact, they are changing the body material from plastic substrate to steel at this point in time is very disturbing to me.
The word (Scam) or (Incompetence) comes to my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!
After reading your comment and seeing you have posted only two messages,
the word "troll" comes to my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm # 12,957. The fact, they are changing the body material from plastic substrate to steel at this point in time is very disturbing to me.

I guess you've never collaborated with experts on a project before. What may have looked like "the best way to achieve the desired results" can change with input from another group that has expertise [Roush, I assume] in that area. The fact that the old GM plant already has the equipment on site, less dies, to stamp the body panels out of steel, and with little or no human intervention [automated], and a cost/weight savings was proven and agreed upon, I say gentlemen, start your robots! Apparently, ignorance isn't bliss in your case.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Hi Henry, welcome to the forum.

Your message above screams for assistance in the common sense department, and I don't mean that in a rude or angry way, just that if you are a conspiracy theory type guy, your time was 2-3 years ago. If you feel that because the body material is changing, that means that Elio is either trying to steal your money, or they don't know what they are doing, then I'm sorry you lost your $1000. Maybe you can learn from your mistake, and not give $ to a company that is so horrible in the future.

Good luck to you.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I submitted the electronic form to lock the price at $7000. I have been "all in" for well over 2 years so I also assumed that I was going to get another $500 toward the final price of the vehicle (IF PRODUCTION EVER HAPPENS). I also wonder about the $500 promised to induce my deposit, will this still be given or did I give that away to lock up a price of $7000 for the base model? I would like to see an official answer from Elio motors on this issue.

it is my understanding that, if you Lock In with an All In reservation, when the time comes to figure the cost of the Elio you order :

$7,000 base price + cost of options chosen + whatever tax/tag/shipping charges apply will = some amount ????

from that amount ???? they will subtract the amount of your deposit + the amount of whatever bonuses you earned by making that reservation

if you don't Lock In, the same process will take place with the exception of starting the process with a $7,300 base price

as of now, the only people given the option for a $7,000 base price are those of the in the first 65,000 reservations who are in the "All In" category .... I didn't find it difficult to decide that it would be best for us to Lock In and save the additional $300

for info directly from EM, check out this link ===> https://www.eliomotors.com/lockin/

Last edited:

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes I did; Jerome called me and we talked for about an hour discussing all of the misconceptions that people have brought up since the Commitment form went out; the next day the Marketing Team sent out that email covering all of the topics that have come up; it was almost the same conversation I had with Jerome the day before. That afternoon I got an email with the link to "signing" the commitment and got this after I hit "Send":

View attachment 11061

So I've completed step one; now I'm just waiting for the confirmation email.

Seems the problem came up a lot for people that started at "Want In" (which I did).
3 days after I was "Want In" I switched to "All In" and that's what confused the system.
(Dam computers ;))
<Even though I retired from MIS/IT work for 27+ years, I offered to help if they needed it>
I received an e-mail from EM saying the problem has been resolved and told me to use the "original e-mail address" when I went for my 1K all in. So I did and got the same message you have and got locked in for the 7K base price. Only problem is I've since closed that original e-mail I had w/ yahoo so I have no way of getting their confirmation. No matter, it's still a long way from receiving my ELIO so they'll figure it out to update their system to my current e-mail address. All is good.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First let me say that I stand by everything Coss said.
However, I think it's fair to let you know that someone here does feel your pain.

I think the switch is a disappointment to some of us for a number of different reasons.
But I also suspect that it was necessary to stay within real-world constraints for cost and production rates.
And then there's also those up-sides like tighter vehicle tolerances and weight savings.

As far as a scam and/or incompetence...

You can easily attribute many of the "forward thinking statements" to those if if you're inclined to.
But I suggest that it was more likely enthusiasm for, and overconfidence in, the original vehicle design...
And ditto with the marketing strategy, business plan and subsequent projected time line to production.

On occasion, EM has proven not to be the most all-knowing automotive deities perhaps we'd hoped they'd be.
But they seem to have stayed on this thing like a hungry terrier on a bone for how many years now?
They've ticked some of us off a number of times with amazing, but relatively small, stumbles and blunders...
But it seems that they're still on the path to selling me a unbelievable vehicle at an unheard of price.
I agree. The fact that the base price has been locked in at 7K that I can hang on to, I really don't care at this point whatever changes they make. I still wonder how EM can keep the price that low and get all the safety features including airbags is beyond me but hey, who's complaining?? So come on fellas and let's do this, lock in your commitments and we're that much closer (hoping) to owning our ELIO.

Top Bottom