• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Lr1721 An Act To Expand Classification Categories For Motor Vehicles In The State

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a meeting coming up with Representative Golden to assure there is clear language in Maine's LR1721 bill to exempt the need for motorcycle license to operate an Autocycle, and exempt helmets for children in an autocycle.

I also made contact with Representative Rykerson who introduced LD 278 to exempt cars and light trucks meeting CAFE standards to be exempted from Maine sales tax (it has a chance in the Legislature, though I suspect the Governor would not approve since he wants Maine to move away from an income tax base, and towards a consumption tax base, but who knows) to agree to include autocycle's like Elio in his bill! Possibly one more reason to buy an Elio if you live in Maine!

From: "Rykerson, Deane" <Deane.Rykerson@legislature.maine.gov>
Date: February 10, 2015 5:46:06 AM
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Subject: RE: LD278

yes, I will look into the Elio and include it in the bill.

Rep. Deane Rykerson, Maine House District 1
1 Salt Marsh Ln
Kittery Point 03905
www.rykersonforkittery.org

I just got this back from Joel Sheltrown, he has some good suggestions for anyone else bird dogging a bill somewhere.

Date: February 10, 2015 10:24:19 AM
To: John Painter <johnlpainter@me.com>
Subject: Re: Maine Autocycle language

Excellent work John. Of the definition we are using, you might have a problem with "tandem seating". It isn't necessary. ( I think I included it) but everything else important. If they come back with a watered down definition of autocycle like AAMVA's it won't work. AMMVA definition doesn't even include Seat belts. If the legislation is written as : " an autocycle is a motorcycle etc" then we would be included in any registration and inspections required of motorcycles. At that point, we would have to be exempted from the sections dealing with helmets, footpegs for passengers, etc. Also, the be exempted from M license requirements.

I haven't looked at CAFE in ME but I'm sure we would blow away CAFE requirements there. 84 /49 is pretty impressive. I'm in Boise ID. Testifying before the House Trans Committee. Keep in touch!

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi John,
Today I have sent e-mails to these Maine representatives and senators.
The first three are the Sponsor (Jared) and the Transportation Committee Co-Chairs (brief acknowledgements & Thank Youse), those with REPRESENTATIVE and SENATOR capitalized are my (area) legislators. The additional fourteen others are those bordering around southern Aroostook County (Washington County & northeastern Penobscot County).

I'll paste the list first, then the main e-mail content I sent.
Note that I stated that if this cannot be enacted in Maine, I will probably be leaving (by around the time production begins).
So I'll sign off now - "later" - Rob Hart-Cordell (Weston).

LIST:
Representative Jared Golden of Lewiston (D) House District 60
Representative Andrew McLean of Gorham, Committee Co-Chair (D) House District 27
Senator Ronald Collins of York, Committee Co-Chair - Senate District 34

Representative William R. Tuell (R-East Machias) House District 139
Representative Joyce A. Maker (R-Calais) House District 140
Representative Sheldon Mark Hanington (R-Lincoln) House District 142
Representative Stephen S. Stanley (D-Medway) House District 143
REPRESENTATIVE Roger L. Sherman (R-Hodgdon) House District 144
Representative Ricky D. Long (R-Sherman) House District 145
Representative Dustin Michael White (R-Washburn) House District 146
Representative Robert J. Saucier (D-Presque Isle) House District 147
Representative Anthony J. Edgecomb (R-Fort Fairfield) House District 148
Representative Carol A. McElwee (R-Caribou) House District 149
Representative Roland Danny Martin (D-Sinclair) House District 150
Representative John L. Martin (D-Eagle Lake) House District 151
Senator Peter Edgecomb [northern Aroostook] Senate District 1
SENATOR Michael Willette (Republican-Presque Isle) Senate District 2

e-mails
The first paragraph was added to all those who are not my local legislators - other than those and the first 3 (sponsor & chairs), they're all THIS:

Greetings,

Although I am (in southern Aroostook County and) not in your representative district, I am writing to all of our nearby Maine (state) Representatives and Senators who live around the area: THE most northeast regions of the northeastern USA, often known as "the other Maine".

I'm writing to state my support for and to encourage others toward the same regarding Maine Representative Jared Golden's Lr1721, "An Act To Expand Classification Categories For Motor Vehicles In The State", supported by (Co-Chair of Maine Legislature's Transportation Committee), Representative Andrew McLean and Co-Chair Senator Ronald Collins.

(At least part of) this measure is attempting to re-establish an "autocycle" classification of motor vehicles, which was formerly in effect (Public Law 2009 Chapter 55, "An Act Relating to Autocycles"), but with certain limitations now outdated, it "sunsetted" some time after its passage.

Under federal regulation, a motor vehicle with less than four wheels is classified as a motorcycle. A three wheeled "motorcycle" with fully enclosed driver/passenger cab and automobile type seating and operating controls is (informally) classified as an "autocycle" ... yet state classifications, licensing and regulations are determined by each state as they choose: some as motorcycles, some as autocycles and some as cars.

Some such vehicles are being developed / brought into production, which are designed for high fuel efficiency & low cost, are less expensive to produce, purchase and operate, particularly as daily commuter (for work or school) vehicles as well as utility (fleet) vehicles, which are typically occupied by only one (or two) people, yet provide a significant alternative to typically much more costly, fuel-hungry, 4 to 6 passenger "family" vehicles.

A current example is the Phoenix, AZ -based Elio Motors autocycle development, described and promoted at this Internet website, www.eliomotors.com
Elio Motors is conducting a nationwide effort to unify autocycle-related regulations, so that people can move freely from state to state with these vehicles without having irregular restrictions imposted on their use - and their personal safety.

A relevant need to encourage development, production, distribution and USE of these highly efficient vehicles is to include in the bill exemptions from the requirement of motorcycle license endorsement and helmet use (limitations) for these 'autocycles'. Many people do not want and some (like myself: aging and disabled) can not use motorcycles - or their limitations and risks - as relate to daily transportation use.

Relevant Issues

(1) Although autocycles are classified as motorcycles due to having fewer than four wheels in contact with the driving surface, they are fully enclosed with car-like seating & driver/passenger comfort & protection, are operated with standard automotive controls, handle and maneuver like standard automobiles, and therefore bear no further relationship with motorcycle driving skills, regulation or driver testing. Autocycles are too wide and too long and can't pass road tests as motorcycles as required by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

To emphasize that point again: beyond having only three wheels, autocycles are in no other way related or similar to motorcycles either in operating skill requirements or in required (obvious) safety training differences from cars. The training and testing required for motorcycles are not relevant (or even possible) for these autocycles.

(2) Helmets are extremely unsafe in such fully enclosed vehicles using 3 point safety restraints (seat belts with shoulder harness), as reflected by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators - with members in all 50 states, AAMVA determination that the added weight of a helmet worn by persons so restrained have proven to present high risk and probability of serious neck injury, including fatalities. Engineers confirm that helmet requirements will actually lower autocycle safety rating by resulting in higher risk of significant injury to driver and passenger in a crash, to points including paralysis and even death.

AAMVA "strongly recommends" - "best practices" for states to follow for consistency:

(1) Requiring a helmet inside a completely enclosed vehicle will reduce the driver’s ability to hear a warning horn, siren, etc., or perhaps another motorcycle attempting to pass.

(2) Such vehicles are completely enclosed like all automobiles on the road today. They aren’t designed for helmet use and a number of operators will find it almost impossible to deal with the reduced headroom and vision restriction while wearing a helmet.

(3) Airbags have sensitive calibration designed to deploy based on the norm. Adding a 3-4 lb. helmet adds 30-40% weight to the head and interferes with this calculation. According to safety engineers, Safety Rating would be reduced because of helmets.

(4) Most importantly, requiring helmets where occupants are also using the required 3 point safety restraints presents a situation that could result in grave consequences. Three point safety restraints required by law prevent the body from moving forward, but not the head. The weight of the helmet will pull the head violently forward in a collision. It is widely accepted in the industry that this action can easily result in severe whiplash (at a minimum), paralysis or even death.

The dangerous situation requiring helmets while using 3 point safety restraints, is the exact reason why the HANS (Head and Neck Support) device is compulsory in many racing sports: the industry which clearly demonstrates that even at low speeds (as little as 30 MPH) severe injury and death do often occur - due to the helmet weight.

I thank you and encourage your concern with both improvement in legislations toward vehicle affordability and fuel efficiency for we the nation's citizens - in our economic times - particularly as concerns reduced dependency on petroleum imports and driver/passenger safety.

For my part -personally - this Elio Motors autocycle most probably represents my last chance to own my own car. All my previous vehicles were old "clunkers" purchased a bottom prices, patched up and restored with parts from other ("parts car") clunkers, and nearly all the mechanic and body work done myself, excepting chassis alignments and electronic diagnosis - since I don't have the equipment for those tasks.

With aging and disabilities including arthritic and other musculo-skeletal degeneration, I am no longer able to perform such broad and extensive repairs & rebuilding - nor can I afford the cost of paying professionals to do this for me. Quite frankly, if I cannot access and use this vehicle in Maine, I will have to consider (within the next year or so) selling my off property and moving away to some other state (makes me very nervous just to consider leaving here).

Sincerely, Robin Hart-Cordell
Weston, ME
(southern Aroostook County)

P.S. I haven't had a car (any car) running since 2011. It gets old.

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi John,
Today I have sent e-mails to these Maine representatives and senators.
The first three are the Sponsor (Jared) and the Transportation Committee Co-Chairs (brief acknowledgements & Thank Youse), those with REPRESENTATIVE and SENATOR capitalized are my (area) legislators. The additional twelve others are those bordering around southern Aroostook County (Washington County & northeastern Penobscot County).

I'll paste the list first, then the main e-mail content I sent.
Note that I stated that if this cannot be enacted in Maine, I will probably be leaving (by around the time production begins).
So I'll sign off now - "later" - Rob Hart-Cordell (Weston).

LIST:
Representative Jared Golden of Lewiston (D) House District 60
Representative Andrew McLean of Gorham, Committee Co-Chair (D) House District 27
Senator Ronald Collins of York, Committee Co-Chair - Senate District 34

Representative William R. Tuell (R-East Machias) House District 139
Representative Joyce A. Maker (R-Calais) House District 140
Representative Sheldon Mark Hanington (R-Lincoln) House District 142
Representative Stephen S. Stanley (D-Medway) House District 143
REPRESENTATIVE Roger L. Sherman (R-Hodgdon) House District 144
Representative Ricky D. Long (R-Sherman) House District 145
Representative Dustin Michael White (R-Washburn) House District 146
Representative Robert J. Saucier (D-Presque Isle) House District 147
Representative Anthony J. Edgecomb (R-Fort Fairfield) House District 148
Representative Carol A. McElwee (R-Caribou) House District 149
Representative Roland Danny Martin (D-Sinclair) House District 150
Representative John L. Martin (D-Eagle Lake) House District 151
Senator Peter Edgecomb [northern Aroostook] Senate District 1
SENATOR Michael Willette (Republican-Presque Isle) Senate District 2

e-mails
The first paragraph was added to all those who are not my local legislators - other than those and the first 3 (sponsor & chairs), they're all THIS:

Greetings,

Although I am (in southern Aroostook County and) not in your representative district, I am writing to all of our nearby Maine (state) Representatives and Senators who live around the area: THE most northeast regions of the northeastern USA, often known as "the other Maine".

I'm writing to state my support for and to encourage others toward the same regarding Maine Representative Jared Golden's Lr1721, "An Act To Expand Classification Categories For Motor Vehicles In The State", supported by (Co-Chair of Maine Legislature's Transportation Committee), Representative Andrew McLean and Co-Chair Senator Ronald Collins.

(At least part of) this measure is attempting to re-establish an "autocycle" classification of motor vehicles, which was formerly in effect (Public Law 2009 Chapter 55, "An Act Relating to Autocycles"), but with certain limitations now outdated, it "sunsetted" some time after its passage.

Under federal regulation, a motor vehicle with less than four wheels is classified as a motorcycle. A three wheeled "motorcycle" with fully enclosed driver/passenger cab and automobile type seating and operating controls is (informally) classified as an "autocycle" ... yet state classifications, licensing and regulations are determined by each state as they choose: some as motorcycles, some as autocycles and some as cars.

Some such vehicles are being developed / brought into production, which are designed for high fuel efficiency & low cost, are less expensive to produce, purchase and operate, particularly as daily commuter (for work or school) vehicles as well as utility (fleet) vehicles, which are typically occupied by only one (or two) people, yet provide a significant alternative to typically much more costly, fuel-hungry, 4 to 6 passenger "family" vehicles.

A current example is the Phoenix, AZ -based Elio Motors autocycle development, described and promoted at this Internet website, www.eliomotors.com
Elio Motors is conducting a nationwide effort to unify autocycle-related regulations, so that people can move freely from state to state with these vehicles without having irregular restrictions imposted on their use - and their personal safety.

A relevant need to encourage development, production, distribution and USE of these highly efficient vehicles is to include in the bill exemptions from the requirement of motorcycle license endorsement and helmet use (limitations) for these 'autocycles'. Many people do not want and some (like myself: aging and disabled) can not use motorcycles - or their limitations and risks - as relate to daily transportation use.

Relevant Issues

(1) Although autocycles are classified as motorcycles due to having fewer than four wheels in contact with the driving surface, they are fully enclosed with car-like seating & driver/passenger comfort & protection, are operated with standard automotive controls, handle and maneuver like standard automobiles, and therefore bear no further relationship with motorcycle driving skills, regulation or driver testing. Autocycles are too wide and too long and can't pass road tests as motorcycles as required by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

To emphasize that point again: beyond having only three wheels, autocycles are in no other way related or similar to motorcycles either in operating skill requirements or in required (obvious) safety training differences from cars. The training and testing required for motorcycles are not relevant (or even possible) for these autocycles.

(2) Helmets are extremely unsafe in such fully enclosed vehicles using 3 point safety restraints (seat belts with shoulder harness), as reflected by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators - with members in all 50 states, AAMVA determination that the added weight of a helmet worn by persons so restrained have proven to present high risk and probability of serious neck injury, including fatalities. Engineers confirm that helmet requirements will actually lower autocycle safety rating by resulting in higher risk of significant injury to driver and passenger in a crash, to points including paralysis and even death.

AAMVA "strongly recommends" - "best practices" for states to follow for consistency:

(1) Requiring a helmet inside a completely enclosed vehicle will reduce the driver’s ability to hear a warning horn, siren, etc., or perhaps another motorcycle attempting to pass.

(2) Such vehicles are completely enclosed like all automobiles on the road today. They aren’t designed for helmet use and a number of operators will find it almost impossible to deal with the reduced headroom and vision restriction while wearing a helmet.

(3) Airbags have sensitive calibration designed to deploy based on the norm. Adding a 3-4 lb. helmet adds 30-40% weight to the head and interferes with this calculation. According to safety engineers, Safety Rating would be reduced because of helmets.

(4) Most importantly, requiring helmets where occupants are also using the required 3 point safety restraints presents a situation that could result in grave consequences. Three point safety restraints required by law prevent the body from moving forward, but not the head. The weight of the helmet will pull the head violently forward in a collision. It is widely accepted in the industry that this action can easily result in severe whiplash (at a minimum), paralysis or even death.

The dangerous situation requiring helmets while using 3 point safety restraints, is the exact reason why the HANS (Head and Neck Support) device is compulsory in many racing sports: the industry which clearly demonstrates that even at low speeds (as little as 30 MPH) severe injury and death do often occur - due to the helmet weight.

I thank you and encourage your concern with both improvement in legislations toward vehicle affordability and fuel efficiency for we the nation's citizens - in our economic times - particularly as concerns reduced dependency on petroleum imports and driver/passenger safety.

For my part -personally - this Elio Motors autocycle most probably represents my last chance to own my own car. All my previous vehicles were old "clunkers" purchased a bottom prices, patched up and restored with parts from other ("parts car") clunkers, and nearly all the mechanic and body work done myself, excepting chassis alignments and electronic diagnosis - since I don't have the equipment for those tasks.

With aging and disabilities including arthritic and other musculo-skeletal degeneration, I am no longer able to perform such broad and extensive repairs & rebuilding - nor can I afford the cost of paying professionals to do this for me. Quite frankly, if I cannot access and use this vehicle in Maine, I will have to consider (within the next year or so) selling my off property and moving away to some other state (makes me very nervous just to consider leaving here).

Sincerely, Robin Hart-Cordell
Weston, ME
(southern Aroostook County)
Excellent!! Very nicely written.

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Excellent!! Very nicely written.

Thanks John. Except for my own reflections, most of the content came from Joel Sheltrown, who has been very helpful with information and advice. Of course I reformat a good bit of the information, so the messages don't look like anyone's "form" pages.

Attachments

• Maine autocycle plate.jpg
    Maine autocycle plate.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 362

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks John. Except for my own reflections, most of the content came from Joel Sheltrown, who has been very helpful with information and advice. Of course I reformat a good bit of the information, so the messages don't look like anyone's "form" pages.
Congrats are in order for your EXTRA efforts in helping secure the Elio's legitimate place in personal transportation.

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanx Crayz.

I got started e-mailing with Joel Sheltrown in early April of 2014. He's "The Man" who gets legislators and their state motor vehicle departments awakened about (and straightened out with) these great vehicles.

P.S. our Elios will probably be built on the same day (#6922), but I'm before you. Nyah, Nyah! :)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanx Crayz.

I got started e-mailing with Joel Sheltrown in early April of 2014. He's "The Man" who gets legislators and their state motor vehicle departments awakened about (and straightened out with) these great vehicles.

P.S. our Elios will probably be built on the same day (#6922), but I'm before you. Nyah, Nyah! :)
you deserve to move up 1000 places on line!!- which is easy for me to say as it won't effect my position!! lol

Top Bottom