• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Maintenance Questions..

2ndrew

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just though of this this morning after doing some work on my own car...

Will there be a central jack point in the front of the Elio, and how safe would it balance with only one wheel in the back?

Maybe it just won't be recommended at all to do that, but it would make things easier if you were changing your front brakes.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Will there be a central jack point in the front of the Elio, and how safe would it balance with only one wheel in the back?

Maybe it just won't be recommended at all to do that, but it would make things easier if you were changing your front brakes.

I 'normally' jack one side at a time, jack stand it, and move to the other side. Shouldn't be a balance issue doing it that way. That said, I've already got an "Elio jack adapter with stability outriggers" in my head that I can quickly attach/remove for my floor jack, and lift the entire front end evenly and safely. Just waiting on getting it (my Elio) back to the garage, take some measurements, and fire up the MIG welder.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I 'normally' jack one side at a time, jack stand it, and move to the other side.

Same here. I've had two hydraulic jacks let go when the oil seal failed. They drop like a stone. I've also seen what happens when a car falls off four axle stands (never do this)!

I don't like jacking up the entire front end. To change the oil I put my car's front end up on a pair of ramps. No reason why that can't be done with an Elio, too. The advantage of this, if the sump plug is at the rear of the engine, is that the slope helps quickly drain all the oil and the rapid flow takes any residual chunks and gunk out with it.

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you saw the video posted about the engine oil changes should be easy. Both the plug and the filter are in very accessible locations. We will have to wait and see how cramped the engine compartment ends up being though, which will really determine whether it will be as easy as it should be.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you saw the video posted about the engine oil changes should be easy. Both the plug and the filter are in very accessible locations. We will have to wait and see how cramped the engine compartment ends up being though, which will really determine whether it will be as easy as it should be.
Someone all so posted a link to an oil changing pump that takes the oil out where you put it in.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Dobieone

Elio Fan
Reaction score

Oil change my plan is Car Ramps
That's how I change oil now

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good question jay3wheel. Hopefully they will provide an access hatch of some sort for oil changes and other minor maintenance needs. I just hope they don't use those plastic push pin things to attach the belly pan and access doors. I hate those things. (My old Caddy has a million of them).

Top Bottom