• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manual Or Power Steering?

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back in the old days very few cars had power steering. We didn't go to the gym. We went for a drive.

My 1966 Chevy II SS did not have power steering and definitely could have used it, along with better brakes. My 1977 Chevette also did not have power steering and I honestly didn't feel it was necessary in that little crap-box.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the first vehicle I was a '65 Jeep CJ5 .... it not only didn't have power steering, no heater or air conditioner (the heater came in a box in the back of the Jeep and was considered to be a dealer installed option), no top (that too was a dealer installed option), no radio, you could reach down and touch the gas tank that was mounted directly below the driver's seat .... I don't recall the lack of power steering being a problem, nor of it being a problem with a Chevy Sprint and Chevy Chevette .... hopefully the light nature of the Elio and a good rack and pinion steering system will prove to work well

Jim

Last edited:

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the first vehicle I was a '65 Jeep CJ5 .... it not only didn't have power steering, no heater or air conditioner (the heater came in a box in the back of the Jeep and was considered to be a dealer installed option), no top (that too was a dealer installed option), you could reach down and touch the gas tank that was mounted directly below the driver's seat .... I don't recall the lack of power steering being a problem, nor of it being a problem with a Chevy Sprint and Chevy Chevette .... hopefully the light nature of the Elio and a good rack and pinion steering system will prove to work well

Jim
My 89 jeep wrangler did not have power steering either and I had no problems. It did come with a heater but no radio. The only person who complained about it having no PS was my 5ft tall sister who I tried to teach how to drive a stick. She could not turn it when stopped she could not shift it either so, after a few minutes she just gave up.
The lack of power steering is the least of my worries about this project.

For all those wondering about my picture it is of my little 25lb Puggle (pug, beagle mix) dog who used to be a stray and has buckshot in her. I or my vet did not know this until she was
X-rayed for a bad knee. She used to chase cows before I got her.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Power steering on a 1200# vehicle with Rack & Pinion Steering shouldn't be an issue. Cool photo of your cattle herding Puggie. You may show this to your sister only if she has a sense of humor.
image.jpg

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. And it makes sense since it's too light! I'm still confused with the power of the engine...is it 70 HP or 55 HP? I also thought I read it somewhere where it can go 60 mph in 9.6 sec. Is this adequate for it's size and weight?

I recall seeing data once stating it may vary depending on which contributes best for 84 mpg. To locate it, I suggest checking within a reply to posting in Elio owners or Elio Motors. Enjoy the adventure, the seaching, the journey, a la Elio.
Terrence :)

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Q. Will there be an option to upgrade to a power steering.
A. We have package protected for electronic power steering. If you hydraulic it's a whole different thing. So if you do electronic power steering, it's an electric motor that mounts onto your steering column. This steering column accommodates that and we have the package space for it.
I have that on my Prius, works very nicely.

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, hello to the board. After following Elio's progress for the last year, I decided to reserve one for 100 all in this week. I am in the cult.... I have driven with power steering my whole life. Can someone tell me what it should feel like driving a elio w/o it. Since the autocycle is only 1200 pounds, does it really need it. How much extra would it have cost if they put power steering in it. Thanks.

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing power steering discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Put it this way, my 17 year old daughter is learning to drive on a non-power steering car. It's a Suzuki Swift, the car with same engine and gearbox as the Elio prototypes.

If she can manage, I shouldn't think any able bodied person should struggle on a car that will weigh even less than the Swift.

Btw, welcome to the loony bin! :D

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manual steering on a vehicle with skinny wheels is not likely to be a problem.
The learning curve is usually learning to turn the wheel while the vehicle is in motion forward or reverse. (more difficult when stopped)
It requires just a tad more planning ahead.
On the road in motion, you'll never notice the difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom