• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Manufacturing Rate

BADBOY

Elio Addict
apparently Southwest does not fly from Houston Hobby to Shreveport. Bush Airport plane fare $250 + getting there from my home 50 miles + ride to Elio + food costs = maybe worth paying Elio to deliver to Houston.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
I think that as the cars roll out, they will run across a few issues and they will have to stop the assembly line reassess, correct and continue. I'm sure this will slow production in the beginning. So if I were you guys I would expect a slower production rate for the first few months.

Frim

Elio Addict
apparently Southwest does not fly from Houston Hobby to Shreveport. Bush Airport plane fare $250 + getting there from my home 50 miles + ride to Elio + food costs = maybe worth paying Elio to deliver to Houston.

American Airline St louis to Shreveport $472 + 50 mile Travel to St Louis + drive back to St Louis + overnight stay+ meals for 2 days.
I think I will have mine delivered. But I like the idea of driving it back. I won't rush into that decision.

KD

Elio Addict
I think that as the cars roll out, they will run across a few issues and they will have to stop the assembly line reassess, correct and continue. I'm sure this will slow production in the beginning. So if I were you guys I would expect a slower production rate for the first few months.

Which brings to mind...How many vehicles does it take for the majors to get a new line up and running before a good solid quality (sellable) vehicle comes off the line? I'm thinking their first ones (tens, hundreds?) are not all that until all the tooling, harnesses, supply chains are all in place and up to speed. :hat:

Ty

Elio Addict
A few months? When they are producing a car a minute, which the line can do, it takes a worker about 10 minutes to learn their particular job and very little longer to learn where the breakroom and bathroom are. The only issues I'd expect would be if parts are shipped to the plant in the wrong configuration or made incorrectly. ALL those problems will be fixed in the first week. It just won't take the people long to learn their jobs. I watched a guy being put on a new station. He watched the supervisor do the job one time. From then on, he didn't need any assistance. It isn't very hard.

The logistics of getting the cars out of the factory and loaded into their various transports would be the only real challenge once all the parts are on the line and available. I believe that Elio will hire out the logistics of moving Elios around the country. I don't see why they would presume to be able to do it themselves.

I predict a slower than optimal line for about a week... but only because they will want to make sure they have parts runners going smoothly (and some parts areas only get refilled about weekly - think screws and nuts). They'll run for a while till they know it's smooth. Then, they'll hire a second shift and bring them all in the week prior to starting and have them watch the station they'll be performing and shadow the dayshift for a couple of hours. The next week, dayshift will end shortly after the evening shift gets there and the transition to full-time, full-speed 2nd shift will begin immediately. There won't be much in the way of slowdown or "learning curve". All those jobs are pretty simple.

Ty

Elio Addict
Which brings to mind...How many vehicles does it take for the majors to get a new line up and running before a good solid quality (sellable) vehicle comes off the line? I'm thinking their first ones (tens, hundreds?) are not all that until all the tooling, harnesses, supply chains are all in place and up to speed. :hat:
I only saw a line change. But, they typically run similar lines for new models and sell the first ones that come off the line with maybe the first one being reserved for something internal.