• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Massive Airbag Recall

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny, I got a notice in the mail from Chrysler to take my van in immediately for this. So I tried to make an appointment with the dealer, who replied (in writing), that I will be notified by mail when parts and instructions become available, they have no service parts from Chrysler. So now what? Dangerous to drive, (my recall is about sporadic unintended detonation, not the shrapnel thing), and no dealer has the ability to fix it yet? Even though the mail from Chrysler is telling me to make an 'immediate' appointment? Maybe to just get on line...

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny, I got a notice in the mail from Chrysler to take my van in immediately for this. So I tried to make an appointment with the dealer, who replied (in writing), that I will be notified by mail when parts and instructions become available, they have no service parts from Chrysler. So now what? Dangerous to drive, (my recall is about sporadic unintended detonation, not the shrapnel thing), and no dealer has the ability to fix it yet? Even though the mail from Chrysler is telling me to make an 'immediate' appointment? Maybe to just get on line...

Not to stifle innovation here, lets say park the van and rent one for the time it takes to get yours repaired. Is your family's safety worth the cost?

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My thots actually, I have been getting it all in writing first though, or I know how that ends up. Luckily it is just me in the van usually, so only jeopardizing myself, although that is bad enough. I won't even take the dog in it now. Worse, its not even a year old yet.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hog, the last recall I know of on Chrysler vans is for the ignition switch. Just like GM, extra things swinging on the key can cause the van to be turned off.
The "fix" until you can get it in, is to take everything off the ignition key. Nothing swinging, nothing to cause accidental turning off of the engine. My Daughter recieved her recall notice a few weeks ago.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got the same ignition switch recall on my '06 Grand Cherokee. Actually, happened to me three times. All of them on the highway. All of them with cruise control engaged. All of them "luckily" on a straight stretch. All of them scary as hell! :eek: In this case the ignition key is in a perfect position that if you move your right knee (as you would when you engage the cruise control), it bumps it, and rotates the key to "off". This locks the steering wheel, and gives you less than two seconds to figure out what the heck happened and get the ignition back to the "On" position without going all the way to "Start". I'm super careful about where I move my leg now driving that thing.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got the same ignition switch recall on my '06 Grand Cherokee. Actually, happened to me three times. All of them on the highway. All of them with cruise control engaged. All of them "luckily" on a straight stretch. All of them scary as hell! :eek: In this case the ignition key is in a perfect position that if you move your right knee (as you would when you engage the cruise control), it bumps it, and rotates the key to "off". This locks the steering wheel, and gives you less than two seconds to figure out what the heck happened and get the ignition back to the "On" position without going all the way to "Start". I'm super careful about where I move my leg now driving that thing.
Not being a Chrysler guy, the steering will lock without being in Park?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Apparently it will. Never tried it on purpose though. Might have to do a little experiment in the driveway and get back with you on that. As I said before, I was on a straight stretch every time it happened. Surrounded by traffic, so moving to another lane was not an option. I'm "assuming" that the steering wheel lock mechanism on our Cherokee is a mechanical pin that engages something on the steering wheel shaft. Only steering columns I've had apart are on my old Porsches. '70's tech...completely mechanical. Good question Earl!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Okay...I'm back. Here's the deal. The key is on the dash just to the right of the steering column...not actually "on" the column like my Subaru. Started the engine, popped it into drive, turned the key towards "off", but it would only go to "accessory" with the shifter in drive. You do however shut the engine down and loose your power steering. I think it would be a good thing if the ignition switch would be 'locked' in the on position while the shifter is in anything except park. Maybe that's the design flaw they'll address with the recall.

Top Bottom