• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Massive Airbag Recall

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does it bother anyone else that we're recalling 10-15 year old cars. The exploding airbag could be serious, I get that, but I see a lot of recalls that IMO should be nothing more than normal wear and aging.

BTW, I think it's been pointed out that Elio has 2 airbag suppliers on their partner list.

Hmmm... Not in this case. This sounds like a design flaw to me.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So this begs the question, if the belts (Harness) in my race car are good for two years or the first crash till they need to be replaced. What is the service life of an airbag?

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So this begs the question, if the belts (Harness) in my race car are good for two years or the first crash till they need to be replaced. What is the service life of an airbag?

According to the report, it looks like it depends upon the climate; which is a little disheartening in and of itself.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How old are they? Do you live in a sunny area where UV can break down the fibers in the belts...most of them have a place where they get sewn over that opens up in a crash. Lets you get a visual on if they need to get thrown away. Most have aged out and should be replaced. I won't hold my breath till that happens.

Top Bottom