• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A move to steel body panels rather than composite would shorten the Elio's useful life by half or more where I live.
You appear to have forgotten that the chassis is entirely steel, so the life of the chassis will be the same, regardless of the body panel material.

Aluminum would be a better option....like the first generation insight. It would cost more though.
Honda lost money on every g1 Insight it sold and it still cost too much. Not a good option for Elio.

I have read that Aluminum Oxidation is more detrimental to Aluminum panels then rust is to steel panels.
Negative. Open the hood or crawl under any g1 Insight that's lived in a Northeastern state and compare the condition of the steel and aluminum parts. It's absolutely no contest.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
You appear to have forgotten that the chassis is entirely steel, so the life of the chassis will be the same, regardless of the body panel material.

Excellent point GPA, which we've all missed.
Living In the PNW like Sethodine, we don't have rust problems here (which is really strange); but having come from South Chicago originally, I know all about rust problems.
I would have preferred having a composite body on the Elio, but being steel isn't really a deal breaker for me; either body material is fine, and long as it looks the same and performs the same.

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are quite correct, Awesome - but I did not forget. The chassis seem to last a bit longer, at least unless and until they are made from 32 gage Chinese steel like some body panels seem to be. Better yet is body-on-frame - harder and harder to come by in a smaller vehicle now as it is heaver and doesn't crash test as well as monocoque, My '99 S10 (dreadful POS) has "flow through ventilation" in several places but still passes inspection. I was hoping for a body that would not fail so quickly in the first new vehicle I have ever been able to afford (the S10 cost $500 40K miles ago). We shall see.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't allow the tin worm to set up house in your vehicle. Inspect every year with a bright flashlight, mirror(s) and patience. When you spot rust, disassemble as far as you can, remove the rust and clean thoroughly, and attack with POR15 or other rust-abating coatings. Seal leaks and holes with spray undercoating to keep water out (make sure you don't make a moisture trap). Maintain seals around doors, windows, trunks, etc. If rust develops in areas you couldn't see, fix it when you discover it! If you keep on top of it you can keep the vehicle going for longer than you'll need it.

I pulled the rear bumper on my 7-year-old truck this spring so I could attack the very bad rust that was eating it away. How many trucks have you seen with rusted-through bumpers? Mine won't be one of them. Front bumper is due as well.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Honda lost money on every g1 Insight it sold and it still cost too much. Not a good option for Elio.

It also had a steering wheel and stereo so we shouldn't use those in an elio either? They only sold around 15k. The technology and R&D on the completely new hybrid design was a big factor. Not the fact it was aluminum.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry Horn, that is false equivalence fallacy. The steering wheel and stereo where conventional (cheap, even) and didn't push the cost up.

Yes, the all-aluminum chassis was a major factor in the cost of the Insight. It would have been considerably cheaper to make (and not the wonder car it is) if it was steel. I'm pretty sure I read the manufacturing alone cost more than they sold it for, excluding R&D.

Yes, making Elios panels out of aluminum would be a bad choice as it would greatly increase the cost in direct conflict with Paul's "Must Haves".

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Negative. Open the hood or crawl under any g1 Insight that's lived in a Northeastern state and compare the condition of the steel and aluminum parts. It's absolutely no contest.

However, the frame can be protected with an oil/wax undercoating, and I hope they offer an optional belly pan for both aerodynamics, and to shield the frame from salt. Much easier to just protect the frame vs the whole body. Plus the composite panels resist dings to keep your Elio looking good longer.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
However, the frame can be protected with an oil/wax undercoating, and I hope they offer an optional belly pan for both aerodynamics, and to shield the frame from salt. Much easier to just protect the frame vs the whole body. Plus the composite panels resist dings to keep your Elio looking good longer.

I was under the impression that the "frame" or chassis would be "dipped" or epoxy coated...I would be amazed if it isn't.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the "frame" or chassis would be "dipped" or epoxy coated...I would be amazed if it isn't.
If it's a difference between steel @ $6800 and composite @ the present estimate of $7300, I'd capitulate for the higher price.
Believe me, that's a major concession for me and my beliefs. Regardless of the major objectives, this was a major selling point.

Stamped metal unibody... OK.

Metal body... NO!

And OTB, you cannot be amazed, because, as in the Highlander, there can be only one. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom