• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Nstg8r, it looks like it could be very useful - I will have to try some when my gallon of Peganox runs low/hardens. (Of particular interest, clear!)

I did all my Porsche 914 suspension components in the stuff after sandblasting. Accidentally dropped my rear swing arm from workbench height. It took a little chunk out of my garage floor, but after wiping off the impact dust the POR-15 was unscathed .:eek:

I've got a Snapper lawn mower with one season on it that I'm going to try a little experiment with since the underside of the mower deck is still relatively smooth. Going to clean it real good and prep it like I did the suspension parts [sandblast and soak with Metal Ready]. Then lay on a nice thick coat of the glossy POR. If the suspension components are any indication of tough this stuff is, the grass clippings should slide right off instead of sticking. I'll let everybody know how it worked out.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't want my plant manager prone to mistakes, thank you very much.

After reading further, It is clear that I made a mistake. I don't have a fixed opinion about steel outer panels, but I was happy with the composite outer panels. CI suppose that change is the only thing that is guaranteed at this point.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We had a 90s dodge Caravan. The paint would not stay on the hoid. Saw many others the same way. Don't know if it was aluminum but it does illustrate a problem with metal body parts... making sure the chemistry is right with any coatings you apply.

Last edited:

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We get a lot of hail down here in the south. I'd far prefer composit pannels to steel.
For the record the dude said, "completed metal body with painted pannels on it."The composit pannels will be painted. I think the body, the roll cage etc. is metal.
MK

Last edited:

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What Frick said was clear to my ears. After working five+ years at the Subaru/Isuzu Plant in Lafayette, Indiana, I have a fairly clear vision of just how the painted shells come down the overhead lift from the Paint Department. They travel UP the conveyor into paint after leaving the Stamping/Body Assembly area. Unless we hear a retraction DIRECTLY from Elio, this is where they are going (steel body panels). I'll wait until the production units start to roll out the door - and if they haven't changed back to their original SMC panels, I'll look elsewhere.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the extended video @ 9:41...
"Coming down trim leg 4... we would complete the rest of trim... on this line we would be putting exterior panels on... "
I'm thinking that it would be more difficult to install most of the Elio components...
If they started with "welding", installing and painting all the "metal" exterior panels in building B.

So yeah, I do think there is a chance that Frick is describing the Unibody only when he says (@ 1:10)...
"...and building B which is the body shop which will have the welding, the painting, and the coating, of the metal body."
And (@ 1:33 )... And then ultimately we'll take the completed painted body from here over to building A general assembly."

On the other hand, there a lot of discussion on this site about how difficult (if not totally impractical) it would be for EM or a partner...
To produce the quantity of molded exterior body panels needed to keep up with full production.

If the exterior body panels are going to be welded metal, it would make sense to start with them on.
You wouldn't want to powder coat the completely assembled vehicle.

And there was no mention of painting the "exterior panels" separately.
Everything that EM can do "in house" @ Shreveport is going to save them packing and shipping costs.

Regardless of the reason, I for one feel like I may become a victim of a bait-n-switch.

One can only hope otherwise.

winecheese.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ekh

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My parents condo open air parking had 10 plus year old Honda civics and crvs 50 yards from the beach in Hawaii and steel hasn't been a problem since the pre 90 steel panels rotting in various Buicks, Plymouth and vw. Seems like the problem with rust was prior to 1990, so I imagine por or similar rustproofing products were developed then were responsible. Seems like 95 percent of the cars in production or more must have steel panels, so why would ELIO MOTORS do anything out of the mainstream there? Especially if it's not relevant for mpg requirements. Options and the aftermarket can take care of aluminum and carbon fiber options in future years. I empathize with those where rust never sleeps, just can't picture it after living where it's not an issue...nh, Virginia, nj, Colorado...which is pretty representative of rust prone areas!

Last edited:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sigh.. temper tantrums.

It amuses me that people got excited about the elio when all they new were the 4 tenants and vague prototypes often throwing in the reservation money with little more than a glimmer of what might be. As more details get exposed in concept or even fully endorsed those same people seem to think they were slighted, sold a bill of goods, and simply cannot except the beauty that they originally saw in the elio.

Please people, don't lose focus; remember what it was about the elio that excited you and realize it is still there. If you are no longer excited, well don't look for an excuse to move on, just move on.

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My parents condo open air parking had 10 plus year old Honda civics and crvs 50 yards from the beach in Hawaii and steel hasn't been a problem since the pre 90 steel panels rotting in various Buicks, Plymouth and vw. Seems like the problem with rust was prior to 1990, so I imagine por or similar rustproofing products were developed then were responsible. Seems like 95 percent of the cars in production or more must have steel panels, so why would ELIO MOTORS do anything out of the mainstream there? Especially if it's not relevant for mpg requirements. Options and the aftermarket can take care of aluminum and carbon fiber options in future years. I empathize with those where rust never sleeps, just can't picture it after living where it's not an issue...nh, Virginia, nj, Colorado...which is pretty representative of rust prone areas!

I know a composite body isn't part of the 4 tenants, but it sure would be nice not to be constantly touching up rusted spots after the first few years like I have to do on my 17 year old Mercedes SUV. Prevention is a lot easier than repair, and a lot less work. No metal treatments I've seen on new cars hold up in the long term after the sacrificial treatments are used up.

Top Bottom