• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, SMC has a raw material to cured component of around 3 minutes. The SMC comes as fiber infused resin slab. They slap it into a heated mold of the component [male/female], and the heat and pressure form the component. Very quick, very easy, fairly durable final product, dimensionally stable, and the tooling is much cheaper to produce.

This site explains the process nicely:

http://moldedfiberglass.com/processes/processes/closed-molding-processes/compression-molding-process

Although we use prepreg composites. I was unaware of this process. It does alleviate my concern. Our cure cycles are much longer.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before we start gathering to burn down the plant can we see what Elio Motors has to say?
I sent them an email addressing what I was last told vs. what we have learned from the videos that were put out.
As soon as I get a response I will post it here.

Oh, OK. { returns Kaiser blade to sheath }

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you saying it weighs more?
Why does the blog say otherwise?
Quote: "It offers significant weight savings over stamped steel and other metals,..."
Fiberglas, specifically, is heavy stuff. Nowhere near as light as more modern composite plastic materials. But you said fiberglass.
Elio WAS planning on composite plastic body materials. They may have changed their minds -- and judging from the language used, I believe they have changed them, to stamped metal panels instead. The may --or may not -- be heavier than the original plastic material would have been, may or may not be as costly or hard to procure in quantity, and may or may not offer good corrosion resistance.

All TBD.

This change may also mean changing the method of attaching panels to the stamped unibody frame. That has both engineering and manufacturing implications. And depending on just what material they do use (you can bet it's not going to be titanium), the ability to remove and repair it after an accident may change too.

In short, changing the skin of the car echoes up and down the chain. It's not a trivial change, and if it happens, it's being introduced very, very late in the design --quote-- test -- validate -- manufacture process. You don't make signifiant design changes at this point unless you have a very good reason.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Although we use prepreg composites. I was unaware of this process. It does alleviate my concern. Our cure cycles are much longer.

SMC is not the process we use either. Only prepreg CF and Kevlar on the components we make. Definitely more time and labor intensive. Then again, I don't suppose an Elio will be pulling 10g's in the corners. :D

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fiberglas, specifically, is heavy stuff. Nowhere near as light as more modern composite plastic materials. But you said fiberglass.
Elio WAS planning on composite plastic body materials. They may have changed their minds -- and judging from the language used, I believe they have changed them, to stamped metal panels instead. The may --or may not -- be heavier than the original plastic material would have been, may or may not be as costly or hard to procure in quantity, and may or may not offer good corrosion resistance.

All TBD.

This change may also mean changing the method of attaching panels to the stamped unibody frame. That has both engineering and manufacturing implications. And depending on just what material they do use (you can bet it's not going to be titanium), the ability to remove and repair it after an accident may change too.

In short, changing the skin of the car echoes up and down the chain. It's not a trivial change, and if it happens, it's being introduced very, very late in the design --quote-- test -- validate -- manufacture process. You don't make signifiant design changes at this point unless you have a very good reason.
So is stamped metal (steel?)? Or not? Curious, but I can live with steel or SMC since I believe the weight will be similar with either steel or SMC (from recent posts). Unclear from recent posts if the panel material has been decided? I believe aluminum or carbon fiber panels would have to be aftermarket options? To keep the base price at $6800?

Last edited:

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can wait until such time as Elio makes a FINAL determination on exterior body panels. This is Paul's baby...after all: He and Rousch must determine what direction is more economically feasable in lieu of cost/profitability. However, I am more concerned in such a drastic switch - this late in the game - from an ideal which was expressed, time and time again, since the inception of this concept (and, like it or not, we are still talking concept here), that what we all were lead to believe was a product that did not have steel as exterior panels (whether that be fiberglass, SMC, or another resin-based plastic/polymer material) was a key, selling point to many. We are not discussing the merits/demerits of the Elgin Dash here, nor the lack of the basic color yellow. This is a MAJOR, MAJOR critical decision on Elio's part; one I'm certain they shouldn't take lightly. IMHO, this decision will cripple the future viability of Elio as a major player in a market share they are poised to corner. The alternative...well, does anyone here remember the Yugo? Another cheap alternative vehicle marketed as an economic "and" vehicle. That did not go well. If Elio wants a cheap, throw-away vehicle, go with steel panels. At least the USS (U S Steel) plants north of me in Gary and East Chicago will thank you.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the record, I didn't say fiberglass, EM did.
Quote from the 03/14/16 blog: "...molded fiberglass..."

Again, they followed that with...
" It offers significant weight savings over stamped steel and other metals, which benefits overall fuel efficiency."

I'm not saying that you're wrong Ekh, but you and Elio are saying two totally opposite things.
And therefore, you both can't be right on this one. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom