• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
45 years of Riding Motorcycles has taught me you can never make people happy. No madder what you put on the ELIO someone will have an issue with it.
If a bike don't have ABS then they want it, Put it on and they gripe. Then type brand of tires . get it home Mod the darn thing out to fit your needs.
Have the stuff on these new cars I never use while some of it is nice to have drove and rode for years without it.
Heated seats, and all that stuff come at a price. another 100 here another 50 there next thing you know a 6800 dollar good idea cost 30K

You nailed it Smitty. I saw on a FB post a few weeks ago... someone asked about ABS, EM said the vehicle will have ABS, traction control, stability control. Someone then actually posted "what if I don't want ABS?" lol :rolleyes:

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to invest in a quality wireless back-up camera set up with a lot of features and a couple of small "cheap" blind-spot discs.
I'll probably have less than $50 invested.
When you folks are done with yours, could you come over and pick my nits too?
;)

Elio Motors is going to offer a back-up camera as one of their options... and they did say at low cost... with no prices in mind, Paul Elio also stated that just about anything you can get in a car now days, you can get in a Elio....

We have to change the laws for motorcycles, to only use back-up camera's, I believe all new cars has to have back-up camera's by 2018...

They do have a new motorcycle helmet that is coming out, it has a back-up camera built into it, a real hi-tech helmet... phone, music, etc...

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner..#2225

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
They do have a new motorcycle helmet that is coming out, it has a back-up camera built into it, a real hi-tech helmet... phone, music, etc...

Proud to Be.. an Elio owner..#2225

It it amazing what is available today! My helmet does not have a camera however I did install a great aftermarket bluetooth communications system. The Sena SMH5-FM only cost me $120 and allows me to stream anything from my phone into my helmet along with receiving FM radio signals and taking phone calls without having to remove my helmet. I have had it for about 18 months now and Sena keeps making it better by adding new features via software updates such as they now have a universal intercom feature which makes this setup compatible with nearly every other brand of bluetooth intercom available on the market today.:)

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It it amazing what is available today! My helmet does not have a camera however I did install a great aftermarket bluetooth communications system. The Sena SMH5-FM only cost me $120 and allows me to stream anything from my phone into my helmet along with receiving FM radio signals and taking phone calls without having to remove my helmet. I have had it for about 18 months now and Sena keeps making it better by adding new features via software updates such as they now have a universal intercom feature which makes this setup compatible with nearly every other brand of bluetooth intercom available on the market today.:)
I've been using the Sena now for about a year and find the features useful and easy to use.:cool:

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do get a chuckle out of concerns expressed about no rear view mirrors - never had one on any of my motorcycles over the last several decades, so even when I'm driving a car, I'm always looking in the side-view mirrors. Drivers will adapt.

Sitting in the P4 yesterday, I would say the side mirrors are situated with just a bit wider stance than the mirrors on my Harley (wish I'd had a tape measure, staff didn't know the dimensions and couldn't point me to an online source for those details), but they are definitely placed farther forward away from the driving position. My expectation after yesterday's demo is that with production mirrors, I will have all of the rear view that I need.

As for backup cameras, I didn't see anywhere in the cockpit where there'd be room enough for a display big enough to make the resolution detailed enough to be worth a hoot. And no, a smart phone display is too small without reading glasses - which I don't wear to drive...

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do get a chuckle out of concerns expressed about no rear view mirrors - never had one on any of my motorcycles over the last several decades, so even when I'm driving a car, I'm always looking in the side-view mirrors. Drivers will adapt.

Sitting in the P4 yesterday, I would say the side mirrors are situated with just a bit wider stance than the mirrors on my Harley (wish I'd had a tape measure, staff didn't know the dimensions and couldn't point me to an online source for those details), but they are definitely placed farther forward away from the driving position. My expectation after yesterday's demo is that with production mirrors, I will have all of the rear view that I need.

As for backup cameras, I didn't see anywhere in the cockpit where there'd be room enough for a display big enough to make the resolution detailed enough to be worth a hoot. And no, a smart phone display is too small without reading glasses - which I don't wear to drive...
Happy to read your input here on the mirror placement and your feeling about a LACK of need for a backup camera.

I have yet to have to opportunity to actually sit in one of the Elio's, but "rear vision" was one of the key things I wanted to check first hand.

Thanks again for sharing your views!

BriansElio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mirrors with integrated blind spot glass would be great for the inside part of both mirrors. May be the only way to get decent views to the side and rear.

I have those on my '13 Chevy Sonic... I don't particularly care for the factory integrated ones. I do like the blind spot mirrors and have had them on most all of my vehicles.

Top Bottom