• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mirrors And Other "cheap" Stuff

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
45 years of Riding Motorcycles has taught me you can never make people happy. No madder what you put on the ELIO someone will have an issue with it.
If a bike don't have ABS then they want it, Put it on and they gripe. Then type brand of tires . get it home Mod the darn thing out to fit your needs.
Have the stuff on these new cars I never use while some of it is nice to have drove and rode for years without it.
Heated seats, and all that stuff come at a price. another 100 here another 50 there next thing you know a 6800 dollar good idea cost 30K

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that they will have an adjusting piece so you can adjust the mirror from inside the car. They are trying to keep costs down so you can always swap on better knobs if you like.

I do worry about the blind spot since you can't see out the back. When I pick it up at the factory, I'll probably drive straight to the nearest Napa and get 2 blind spot mirror for the side mirrors. I'd certainly pay more for it as an option if they offer it. I think that the company is crunched to release a prototype like the p4 which is why certain small details have been overlooked

Yeah I tend to agree. I think there were other more important factors they were looking at in the P4. I don't think anybody should judge the final production model fit and finish by what we see in the prototypes.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rickb---This is one of those cases where technology has advanced faster than legality. The law requires rear view mirrors even if you have cameras. Several manufacturers (BMW is one IIRC) are trying to get the law changed but as of right now it's no joy.
Does the current law apply to motorcycles? I know Tesla is pushing for legislative change for cars.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
45 years of Riding Motorcycles has taught me you can never make people happy. No madder what you put on the ELIO someone will have an issue with it.
If a bike don't have ABS then they want it, Put it on and they gripe. Then type brand of tires . get it home Mod the darn thing out to fit your needs.
Have the stuff on these new cars I never use while some of it is nice to have drove and rode for years without it.
Heated seats, and all that stuff come at a price. another 100 here another 50 there next thing you know a 6800 dollar good idea cost 30K
Nice to have the choice of many options to personalize Elio to meet individual needs without affecting the $6800 price for the basic Elio owner.........I'd love to see an Elio with $23,200 of options.......it may fly.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
JP,

I'm an avowed Elio skeptic, but these postings of yours are ridiculous nit-pickery of the rotten type. Blind spot mirrors? What? There's hardly any car there to block the rear view. If you just adjust them properly (95% don't, sadly), you'll see all you need to see.

Criticizing door trim pieces on a test mule? REaaaaaalllly?? Window curvature? o_O Oh, my! Who gives a frackity frack!? Does it drive safe and get 49/84, and WILL IT EVER BE PRODUCED??

Geeeezzzzzzz :rolleyes:

Did you not read my post on this thread that said I would buy them if they are not optioned? They are only 5 dollars so no big deal. While I expect little from a prototype, they are simply things I notice. And I never criticized the trim, or window curvature. I care because I am investing my hard earned money into a vehicle I hope to drive into the ground. Even though it is cheap, I don't want a half-baked Elio either. The topic of this thread was to talk about cheap things we will be adding to make our cars better, like lock boxes and blind spot mirrors. I'd rather Elio not cut any corners but I guess you do not agree..... I'm frustrated with American cars, particularly the interiors, because they look cheap, half-assed and throw together. Excuse me if I don't want that on my car. The Devil's in the details, even small things like mirrors and trim. So you could say I give a frackity frack :eek:

Kail

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I would like a finished looking car too. But at this point I would settle for a car. The longer they delay trying to come up with the perfect car the less likely that any production Elio will ever see the road. If they figure out a way to actually maintain their price point. the car should be able to pay for itself in four years (assuming you currently spend about $50/week on gas), pretty good considering most cars never pay for themselves compared to your previous vehicle. If everything goes as well as I hope. Just buy another at that point and hopefully the car will have a more finished better looking trim.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like a finished looking car too. But at this point I would settle for a car. The longer they delay trying to come up with the perfect car the less likely that any production Elio will ever see the road. If they figure out a way to actually maintain their price point. the car should be able to pay for itself in four years (assuming you currently spend about $50/week on gas), pretty good considering most cars never pay for themselves compared to your previous vehicle. If everything goes as well as I hope. Just buy another at that point and hopefully the car will have a more finished better looking trim.
Welcome Kail, but let Elio take the time they need to make it right out of the box to insure a happy Paul Elio, happy pre-order customers, and thumbs up media reviews to insure continued brisk sales and lock in a loyal customer base.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
early on during the 10+ years I worked in RV sales I quickly learned that many folks see to expect the same quality of engineering, workmanship (AKA fit and finish), amenities, options, and equipment in a low cost, entry level camper that is found in high dollar units .... it just ain't gonna happen .... the reality is, if they projected the selling price of an Elio to be $100,000+ it would be reasonable to have higher expectations than one that sells for under $10,000 .... from what I've seen so far, they project manufacturing a good vehicle for the money .... if they can do so, that will be a remarkable achievement

Jim

Kail

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am an product development engineer for a company that on occasion works with inverters. So often it happens that the product dies before it can even get off the ground (even when it is a good product idea). This usually ocurrs because the inventor wants it to be perfect, so they constantly tweak the design, causing a cascading series of delays costing them additional money. Pretty soon the investors get tired of the delays (not getting their investment back) and the inventor runs out of money not being any closer to production than when he started. Having registered for an Elio (albeit a relatively small amount, I want to see this succeed and not be killed before it gets off the ground.

Top Bottom