• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Model 3 Vs Elio

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla 3 -vs- Elio
Tesla will revolutionize the car buying experience for the middle and high end
Elio will revolutionize the car buying experience for the low end.

A fairer characterization might include commuters and people who are not afraid of being a little different.

It is true enough that people with modest budgets will be attracted to this vehicle. It effectively is a new car with the price tag of a used one and should have low cost of ownership. That doesn't mean that is has no appeal to other demographics. We've seen people in this forum express intent to acquire the Elio, the Arcimoto, and the Tesla Model 3. That stable of vehicles will not be inexpensive.

I am struggling with the question of a loaded Model 3 or waiting for the P100D. Or, trying to cajole Elon into a P120Q - think about that acceleration for a moment.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A fairer characterization might include commuters and people who are not afraid of being a little different.

It is true enough that people with modest budgets will be attracted to this vehicle. It effectively is a new car with the price tag of a used one and should have low cost of ownership. That doesn't mean that is has no appeal to other demographics. We've seen people in this forum express intent to acquire the Elio, the Arcimoto, and the Tesla Model 3. That stable of vehicles will not be inexpensive.

I am struggling with the question of a loaded Model 3 or waiting for the P100D. Or, trying to cajole Elon into a P120Q - think about that acceleration for a moment.
LUDICROUS mode:D and they say Elon doesn't have a sense of humor;)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At 684 the mile limit, the Elio can be refueled almost anywhere.
Can you say the same about the Tesla?
Does anybody ever run out of gas? Tesla's plan to expand their super charger Network will allow for a 30 minute quick charge within the same distance as a gas pump, as EV's travel cross country, in the very near future.

I like the idea of sustainable Ludicrous Mode transportation and the positive environmental and economic impact it will have on all people in the future..........even those that seem to oppose EV's for those drivers that currently find EVs functional as their everyday commuter choice. It really isn't a debate over which is better, it's a matter of choosing to buy a vehicle you like, for whatever the reason, that meets your individual needs (Ludicrous Mode).

It's not the Model 3 vs Elio vs SRK. It will be a win, win, win for all three target market demographics. With that said if somebody said choose one of the three vehicles to take home at 'no charge'................. there would be a clear winner and it requires charging and seats 5 comfortably.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody ever run out of gas? Tesla's plan to expand their super charger Network will allow for a 30 minute quick charge within the same distance as a gas pump, as EV's travel cross country, in the very near future.

I like the idea of sustainable Ludicrous Mode transportation and the positive environmental and economic impact it will have on all people in the future..........even those that seem to oppose EV's for those drivers that currently find EVs functional as their everyday commuter choice. It really isn't a debate over which is better, it's a matter of choosing to buy a vehicle you like, for whatever the reason, that meets your individual needs (Ludicrous Mode).

It's not the Model 3 vs Elio vs SRK. It will be a win, win, win for all three target market demographics. With that said if somebody said choose one of the three vehicles to take home at 'no charge'................. there would be a clear winner and it requires charging and seats 5 comfortably.
Does it take 30 minutes or more to fill up a gas tank?

Tesla has a limited demographic of well to do urban commuters. It's great for that demographic. But the Elio will cut across demographics and is limited primarily by those needing multiple passenger space all the time.

So 33% of the market is out along with 20% of snobs who wouldn't drive one simply because it's priced to low to be seen in one by their hoyte toyte friends.

But the remaining group is plenty large enough for explosive growth potential.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I would be surprised if they could accelerate any faster (2.8s!). There has to be a limit on the amount of current those motors can safely handle, plus when you go from 90 to 100 to 120 you are adding battery weight. I would like to know the range on a P100 or P120.

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Tesla has a limited demographic of well to do urban commuters. It's great for that demographic. But the Elio will cut across demographics and is limited primarily by those needing multiple passenger space all the time.

So 33% of the market is out along with 20% of snobs who wouldn't drive one simply because it's priced to low to be seen in one by their hoyte toyte friends.

This snob hopes to drive one. :D

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would be surprised if they could accelerate any faster (2.8s!). There has to be a limit on the amount of current those motors can safely handle, plus when you go from 90 to 100 to 120 you are adding battery weight. I would like to know the range on a P100 or P120.

Of course the P120 only exists in my imagination but the P100's planned existence was hinted at in that recent hack of Tesla's software upgrade.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Cross country gas stops stops for me are usually 30 minutes or longer: top off the tank, pee, coffee, lunch and desert generally pushes it over 30 minutes. There is a Tesla Super charger next to my favorite coffee place down the street from where I live........so I will be able to charge my Model 3 at no charge/cost while having coffee most mornings. Although for the low number of miles I drive in a week a weekly charge would be sufficient.

Interesting that you judge people (180,000 + Model 3 reservationists) as snobs or having hoyte toyte friends based on what they drive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom