• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V115

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It also excludes the SRK because of the it's handlebars.The Elio is the only vehicle that could qualify. By design? You bet.
So now the nation may have a federal autocycle designation that no vehicle will ever qualify for. Pathetic.
How many of those "excluded" companies put money down to get the laws changed?

Yeah, I thought so...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yeah, I thought so...

LOL! And that means exactly what in the end result?
How many? Who cares! Again, what's the point now other than exclusitivity?

Who knows. Maybe that's their convoluted way around the third headlight fixture.

Last edited:

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Yeah, I thought so...
That's exactly my point. If folks want Sondors and Electra Meccanica and other three wheel manufacturers to have their interests represented at the table, those companies should pay for their own lobbyists to do the hard work that Elio put in. Or they should compensate Elio for their fair share of those costs. Either way, this is America, and we practice capitalism here. You don't get to ride on another company's coattails for free. Pay your share if you want others to do the work, or do the work yourself. Otherwise, you have a tragedy of the commons.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's exactly my point. If folks want Sondors and Electra Meccanica and other three wheel manufacturers to have their interests represented at the table, those companies should pay for their own lobbyists to do the hard work that Elio put in. Or they should compensate Elio for their fair share of those costs. Either way, this is America, and we practice capitalism here. You don't get to ride on another company's coattails for free. Pay your share if you want others to do the work, or do the work yourself. Otherwise, you have a tragedy of the commons.
Yep. And again, that's exactly what the LA auto dealers commission thinks too.

I'm really getting tired of trying to find different ways to communicate this...
But again, what advantage is this particular law going to give Elio Motors?
And exactly how is it supposed to benefit the general public for that matter.

And it seems no-one comes up with a real answer.

WHAT'S THE POINT?

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With these vehicles classified as autocycles in their VIN number:
  • it will be easy for states to exclude all autocycles from the HOV lanes with the simple passage of a state law (when these vehicles become numerous as we all expect).
  • it will be easy for states to require all car regulations to apply to autocycles with the simple passage of a state law.
    • autocycles will have to be smog tested if the cars are
    • people in these states will not be able to modify their engines because it will be illegal and discovered when smog tested
    • people probably will not be able to add turbos in these states because it is an engine modification, even if it is a turbo kit from EM
The autocycle classification will be good for EM sales, but bad for the individual owner like me and many others.

This change may elevate Paul Elio from a multimillionaire, to a billionaire. Lets not forget ourselves.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope.

But, if that were true, what exactly is the point?

Other than being able to say:
"The US federal government says our vehicle would have been the world's only autocycle...
If we would have come up with an additional $376 Million dollars to build it.
And all the rest that will be built will be mere motorcycles."
The point is the direction "they" wanted us to go.
I had old trucks with no seatbelts. No problem.
I rode motorcycles with no helmet. No problem.
Times have changed.
Would parents these days let their children do what I did. Nope.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The point is the direction "they" wanted us to go.
I had old trucks with no seatbelts. No problem.
I rode motorcycles with no helmet. No problem.
Times have changed.
Would parents these days let their children do what I did. Nope.
I believe that an enclosed three-wheeled motorcycle with a "car seat" requires the occupant(s) to wear a seat belt in most, if not all states.
Elio through the federal government dictating which three-wheelers can legally be registered (Elio only) and which cannot? No thanks.
This change may elevate Paul Elio from a multimillionaire, to a billionaire. Lets not forget ourselves.
Just not making the connection there of how this thing is going to multiply Paul's income ten-fold.
And... Check the manual of any bike made after the 80s. You as a cycle owner should know this.
It's technically illegal to replace a motorcycle exhaust system with anything but original OEM parts.

Next...

Last edited:

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
  • it will be easy for states to exclude all autocycles from the HOV lanes with the simple passage of a state law (when these vehicles become numerous as we all expect).
  • it will be easy for states to require all car regulations to apply to autocycles with the simple passage of a state law.
    • autocycles will have to be smog tested if the cars are
    • people in these states will not be able to modify their engines because it will be illegal and discovered when smog tested
    • people probably will not be able to add turbos in these states because it is an engine modification, even if it is a turbo kit from EM
The autocycle classification will be good for EM sales, but bad for the individual owner like me and many others.

Excellent points.
But. If Elio had "original equipment specifications", for an Elio Turbo, I do not think I would need a "BAR" label, as long as it did not "degrade the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system."
CA is probably the most stringent of all.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/Engine_Change_Guidelines.html

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's my understanding that a three-wheeled motorcycle with a "car seat" requires the occupant(s) to wear a seat belt in most, if not all states.
Elio through the federal government dictating which three-wheelers can legally be registered (Elio only) and which cannot? No thanks.

Just not making the connection there of how this thing is going to multiply Paul's income ten-fold.
And... Check the manual of any bike made after the 80s. You as a cycle owner should know this.
It's technically illegal to change a motorcycle exhuast system to anything but the original parts.
A classification of motorcycles will put some people off and not even consider the Elio. With an autocycle classification, people are more likely to consider and buy the vehicle, thus improving sales. The more sales, the richer Paul Elio becomes.

As a cycle owner I know motorcycles are not smog tested here in California and people can get away with it.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A classification of motorcycles will put some people off and not even consider the Elio. With an autocycle classification, people are more likely to consider and buy the vehicle, thus improving sales. The more sales, the richer Paul Elio becomes.
I don't think most people are going to give a hoot about what it's federally classified as.
As I said concerning the new state licensing and helmet laws, the basic difference is going to be in name only anyway.
Interesting opinion theory though, I'll give you that. Maybe that is what EM is thinking. If it is, they may have a need to get over themselves.

As a cycle owner I know motorcycles are not smog tested here in California and people can get away with it.
And I've got Jardine Rumblers on my V-star and a re-jetted carb. Passing fourteen annual inspections that way doesn't make it legal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom