• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V119

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chassis.jpg
Chassis front 2017 Aug.jpg

A comparison of older and newer chassis design.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:heh:
https://www.theautochannel.com/db/newcarbuyersguide/rank_car_specs.php

Select a vehicle body style category first then select to compare Turning Radius.

These are the top vehicles in each respective category:

Sedans
Mitsubishi Mirage - 30.2
Toyota Yaris - 32.2
Mitsubishi Lancer - 32.8
Kia Rio - 33.5
Hyundai Accent - 34.1

Coupes
Smart fortwo - 22.8
Mazda MX-5 Miata RF - 30.8
Nissan 370Z - 32.8
Lexus RC 350 - 34.2

Wagons
Fiat 500L - 32.3
Kia Soul - 34.8
Nissan Juke - 35.1
Honda Fit - 35.1

Minivans
Nissan Quest - 36.1
Ford Transit Connect - 36.1
Honda Odyssey - 36.7
Toyota Sienna - 37.4

Light Trucks
Ram Truck 1500 - 39.8
GMC Sierra 1500 - 40.0
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - 40.0
Toyota Tacoma - 40.6
Ford F-150 - 40.7

SUV
Toyota CH-R - 34.1
Jeep Wrangler - 34.6
Mitsubishi Outlander - 34.8
Toyota RAV4 - 34.8
Subaru Crosstrek - 34.8
Kia Sportage - 34.8
Mazda CX-3 - 34.8
Subaru Forester - 34.8

Convertibles
Mazda MX-5 Miata - 30.8
Fiat 124 Spider - 30.8
Jaguar F-Type - 35.0
Volkswagen Beetle - 35.4
Mini Cooper - 35.4

The Smart fortwo is the ONLY 2017/2018 model year consumer production vehicle that has a turning radius tighter than the Elio's stated 28.9-ft.

The Mitsubishi Mirage, Mazda MX-5, Toyota Yaris, Fiat 500L, Mitsubishi Lancer and Nissan 370Z all rank just behind the Elio.

The commentary on this performance metrics has been lackluster at best. I feel as though we should be cheering and lauding the Elio as an ideal urban commuter vehicle with outstanding agility and maneuverability to conquer tight spaces, narrow alleyways, awkward parking areas, etc.

I will enjoy that tight turning radius, it something that I think manufacturers don't put enough effort into vehicle design. However, there are some exceptions, to include my 2003 Chevy Silverado Quadrasteer. Love my truck, and I hope some day GM brings back rear wheel steering (Ford is already testing it on their new F150). Still laughing at the fact that my big pickup has almost the same turning radius as a Honda Fit! :heh:

silver3.jpg

If EM really wanted to, they could design the rear wheel to steer fairly easily, but added cost would probably prevent them from that route. Would love to see someone do a project like that though.

Reactions: Ty

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The rims are sticking out the side of the tire, facing towards the side. The gray part. I am not referring to the part of the rim in contact with the tire.

I made sure these pictures would appear on the post (I thought). I went back and viewed after posting and they were there. Now it only says. "Broken External Image". When these pictures appear in postings, are the pictures always accessed from Elio Motors and they have stopped freely supplying them to reduce their internet operating expenses?
I fixed your pictures, your welcome.
The center hub, sorry, you didn't specify on the first mention.
As for the roof, the drawing is simply playing a trick on your eyes.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I fixed your pictures, your welcome.
The center hub, sorry, you didn't specify on the first mention.
As for the roof, the drawing is simply playing a trick on your eyes.
No, my pictures are the same as when I finished posting.
I figured out how to make them appear instead of saying "[Broken External Image]".

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From a practical standpoint, a turning radius in excess of about 36' is going to require a three-point turn to get into most shopping center parking spaces. My 2000 Lexus RX-300 supposedly had a turning radius of 41', and it was a real pain to park from a normal parking lot aisle. Practically every owner on the Club Lexus and Edmunds forums complained about it - and still do. My old '82 4WD Suburban with solid axles and U-joints was easier to park - and it seemed to be at least twice the size of the RX.

My RX-330 that was the follow-on model four years later had a turning radius of about 34' which may not sound like much difference, but it was a game-changer - and that's with a 3.8" longer wheelbase than the earlier model (103.1" vs 106.9"). You could easily slip into a standard parking space - without having to to cozy up a bit uncomfortably to the line of cars across the aisle before initiating your turn.

Evidently the folks at Toyota/Lexus listened to their customers, and my first experience in the 330 model was a revelation. The last half turn of the wheel produced a considerably greater deflection in the wheels at full lock - evidently the result of some pretty slick engineering of the steering geometry. You'd never use full lock at speed, so there wasn't any danger of over-controlling the wagon, but you could finally get into standard parking spaces with ease.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent them an e-mail a week ago asking if they were going to have one on display but no response. Perhaps they have a non-disclosure agreement that they can't say anything. I always wondered why Elio didn't have one separate from the vehicle just for show.

Top Bottom