• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V122

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the blog:
Since the life of the belts are pretty much the same, a timing belt became the clear choice.

I'm not entirely sure what this incomplete sentence means, but their intent may have been to claim that belts and chains have equivalent life.

Last Saturday I changed the timing belt on our 2002 Ford Focus with 65k miles. The belt was shot with countless small and not-so-small cracks in the back surface. A chain with 65k miles would have been fine, whether 15 years old or 150 years old.

While a belt may prove to be adequate in the Elio, belts and chains are not the same and wear quite differently over mileage and time.
"Since the life of the belts are pretty much the same" is a dependent clause adding additional information while not being a complete sentence on it's own. "a timing belt became the clear choice." is a complete sentence. Together, I find it hard to believe that timing belts last as long as timing chains. However, I'm sure that's one of those "That's the way Dad did it..." kind of things. You know - like 3,000 mile oil changes. (mine is 10,000 miles). It's been 8 years since I've changed a timing belt and that was only because I was replacing a valve in a then 16 year old Geo Tracker. Timing belts/chains have surely improved in the last 25 years...

Top Bottom