• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V133

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Elio Motors Momentum v133

E1a.png

“Made in America” is more than a patriotic catch phrase, it’s an ideal with the potential to revitalize our shrinking middle class, safeguard the environment and insure that companies have customers for their decades to come.

*MSRP excludes destination/delivery charges, taxes, title, registration, and options/installation.

Certain statements in this email including, but not limited to, statements related to anticipated commencement of commercial production, targeted pricing and performance goals, and statements that otherwise relate to future periods are forward-looking statements. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, which are described in more detail in the Company’s periodic reports filed with the SEC, specifically the most recent reports which identify important risk factors that could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are made and based on information available to the Company on the date of this email. Elio Motors assumes no obligation to update the information in this email.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Page 2
The Elio Team posted: " These days, finding cars that can legitimately claim the distinction of being “Made in America” is not an easy endeavor. In fact, when Cars.com attempted in 2015 to compile a list of new models that qualified, it could not even come up with 10. A big rea"

New post on Elio Motors
s0.wp.com_i_emails_blavatar.png

The Sum of Our Parts
by The Elio Team

These days, finding cars that can legitimately claim the distinction of being “Made in America” is not an easy endeavor. In fact, when Cars.com attempted in 2015 to compile a list of new models that qualified, it could not even come up with 10. A big reason is that, in order to earn that designation, a vehicle not only has to be assembled in America, but 75 percent of its parts must be manufactured in the U.S. too.

In the decades-long rush to cut costs, the U.S. auto industry has succumbed to the notion that outsourcing parts to foreign manufacturers is the most effective way to keep prices competitive in the global marketplace. While that business model has indeed helped auto companies stay in business, it has also had a devastating impact on American manufacturing. From 2000 to 2016, the U.S. lost 6.7 million manufacturing jobs, the largest decline in U.S. history. While a significant portion of those losses can be attributed to automation, a growing reliance on foreign-made auto parts also played a role, as demonstrated by the skyrocketing U.S. trade deficit for car parts, which jumped from $9.5 billion in 2000 to $31.2 billion in 2010.

Despite such telling figures, the debate still rages over whether the outsourcing of parts is good for the U.S. economy, with automakers worried about the impact that domestic parts manufacturing will have on the price of vehicles, and those who oppose offshoring concerned that trade deals will negatively impact American workers. Of course, for American manufacturers, the choice is clear.

“This is a part that could have been produced in the U.S.,” Scott Paul, president of the Alliance for American Manufacturing, told the Washington Post, “and so, when you have a weaker rule of origin, it’s an open door for other countries to free-ride.”

Regrettably, that’s exactly what has happened. As a result, the American auto parts industry, a once-robust manufacturing sector, has fallen into decline. Mexico, meanwhile, has seized an opportunity, rising to become the top supplier of car parts to the U.S. market. In 2016, shipments of auto parts from Mexico to the U.S. totaled well over $51 billion, according to figures from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Too many industry leaders tend to view this manufacturing trend-line as an unavoidable consequence of the global economy, but others are now starting to realize that returning to the “Made in America” ideal is the key to revitalizing the U.S. auto industry and our Nation. Simply put, the future the American middle class depends on it.

By now, it should be self-evident that good jobs result in a robust middle class. The average annual salary for U.S. manufacturing jobs in America is $77,500—outpacing retail and food service pay—and 95 percent of those jobs come with health insurance. But the resulting stability from solid wages also has a paradoxical effect. While paying workers a decent salary costs companies more on the front end, doing so helps build the fabric of a community and ignites demand for cars that can ultimately bolster a bottom line.

What’s more, the benefits of a “Made in America” ethos extend beyond the corporate balance sheet. Domestic supply chains are also crucial when it comes to protecting the environment. U.S. factories are subject to far more rigorous pollution regulations than those in other countries, and cutting the transportation distance between parts and assembly plants translates into a significant reduction in both costs and greenhouse gas emissions.

The good news is that more companies are starting to embrace the idea of a return to a “Made in America” mindset. Since 2012, automotive parts manufacturing jobs have actually increased by 19 percent nationwide, according to a study released by the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association.

At Elio Motors, we hope to contribute to that trend. We’ve set out to produce a vehicle that uses a domestic supply chain that exceeds the 75 percent threshold. Nearly 90 percent of the parts that comprise our cars will be produced in the U.S. But far from passing a premium to consumers to offset U.S. labor costs, we will offer a vehicle with a base price of $7,450 that also gets 84 miles to the gallon on the highway. It’s vitally important that we discard the outdated idea that survival in the industry requires discarding our values.

“Made in America” is more than a patriotic catchphrase, it’s an ideal with the potential to revitalize our shrinking middle class, safeguard the environment and ensure that companies have customers for their decades to come. Moreover, it should not be viewed as a business obstacle, but as an opportunity that’s long been staring us right in the face.

The Elio Team | November 29, 2017 at 6:20 pm

pixel.wp.com_b.gif_acc89bc5f2e449d691b69f944ae9a02e.gif

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OOh! I know! This one is the first of 4 blogs about "The 4 must haves"!

I am hoping the blogs will be about tire safety and reliability: how to get around having spare tires (2 sizes), and how to tow an Elio (in the rare case that we will need a tow). Can one tow it from the front, will the lone rear wheel track straight and not twist up, can one tow it from the back, will the front wheels caster? Is a 'roll off ' the only good option?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the blog this time was meant more for the potential investors. Put a little though into their sub-conscious. I don't expect any of the future blogs to be very revealing until they get financing. And even then, they need to finalize the design for production.

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the blog this time was meant more for the potential investors. Put a little though into their sub-conscious. I don't expect any of the future blogs to be very revealing until they get financing. And even then, they need to finalize the design for production.
This is targeted at investors and reservationists in the last year I believe...close to 100% are not disillusioned due to timespan involved. We do like instant results! Looking forward to resolution of court case next year leading to timely production in 2019.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't post often, but I had an observation from this Momentum. This is the first time that Elio Motors has come out and stated in writing their intent for the parts of the Elio: "Nearly 90 percent of the parts that comprise our cars will be produced in the U.S." Now, before a bunch of members jump out and attack me saying that it has always been a part of their "4 Must Haves", that not completely true.

In every other press briefing, Momentum and other posting by Elio Motors, they have always referred to their goal towards using parts sourced from North America, stating the benefits of creating American jobs, but never specifically stating that the parts would come from American manufactures, instead of other North America manufactures (Canada or Mexico). It's even on the company's website listed under their Mission Statement: "Elio is American-made targeting utilization of 90% North American content". Never before have they stated that was going to be 90% USA content until this Momentum came out.

I'm not sure if things have changed such as possible suppliers, intent or direction of the company to try and attract more investors, or if it was a simple misprint...but I did notice it.

Top Bottom