• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V144

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Reference the infamous test drive detachment of the left front fender assembly on NYC streets:

Way back when the Tour Team still existed, I asked specifically about that incident, and was informed that the fenders on the P5 were not designed to have anything close to a production-ready mounting arrangement. The P5 had been designed as a show car to be paraded around to raise money and interest at tour stops. That being the case, the P5 was intended to spend a lot of time being trailered, involving repeated loading and unloading in/out of a trailer in oftentimes precariously tight spaces (say, curbside in NYC). The design engineers crafted the fenders with a sort of quick-release or one-touch mounting mechanism to expedite the on/off transition time.

That's all fine and good, but YouTube videos live in infamy and nobody ever bothers to consider appropriate context before passing judgment. I agree the optics are horrible at first glance, but the fender booboo never phased me since I understood that a production-ready Elio would have fenders that are more securely attached to the outrigger assemblies than a prototype intended for show purposes.
The main problem is that they don't check for stuff like that. It should have been inspected very carefully. They repeated that mistake when they showed up at a pop up with a dirty car and flat battery. They said that they were very busy showing the car to investors. Were they showing off a dirty car with a flat battery? Wonder why investors were not throwing money at the company.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio fender incident reminds me of the Segway incident where Bush II fell off because no one turned the Segway ‘on.’ Segway never really got any ‘traction’ (punny!) after that brief but damning video went viral. Of course the Segway was kinda stupid and way overpriced too, but then again Segway (Dean Kamen) wasn’t looking for investors, they were just trying to sell them.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio fender incident reminds me of the Segway incident where Bush II fell off because no one turned the Segway ‘on.’ Segway never really got any ‘traction’ (punny!) after that brief but damning video went viral. Of course the Segway was kinda stupid and way overpriced too, but then again Segway (Dean Kamen) wasn’t looking for investors, they were just trying to sell them.
Forgot about Segways, must of been the most over hyped product of all time

Top Bottom