• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V149

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe engineering at this point is all consulting. That can easily be on hold from point to point.

I have 1 res all-in and two for the basic $100. One of those is to use as the donor for my Atlantric. But if my grandkids are out the door in a few years and no Elio, well I'll just find another 1liter(more or less) donor. Maybe a BMW or Moto-Guzzi motorcycle engine tacked onto a modified VW tranny.

Meanwhile, the little Suzuki Swift 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder, four wheeler that I bought four years ago (for the equivalent of about US $1300) still goes on and on, reliable as an atomic clock. Anyone remember that superb little engine? A pity Elio couldn't have used it instead of developing a very similar lump at huge expense..

In winter (we've had a bad one here, still not over) I usually use the Swift for my 90 mile daily commute in preference to my BMW330D and around town it's a no-brainer to leave the Beemer parked up because it would hardly get warmed up.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the little Suzuki Swift 1.0 litre, 3 cylinder, four wheeler that I bought four years ago (for the equivalent of about US $1300) still goes on and on, reliable as an atomic clock. Anyone remember that superb little engine? A pity Elio couldn't have used it instead of developing a very similar lump at huge expense..

In winter (we've had a bad one here, still not over) I usually use the Swift for my 90 mile daily commute in preference to my BMW330D and around town it's a no-brainer to leave the Beemer parked up because it would hardly get warmed up.

I owned a 94 Suzuki Swift, but mine was a 1.4L, 4 cylinder. Great little car that I picked up for $1k that only had about 96k miles on it. Easiest car ever to maintain and I miss it.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a 97 geo-metro, love'em. That engine is a possible donor for me as well, if it can be modified to fit my space under the hood (or bonnet in Commonwealth English). ;-)

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had a 97 geo-metro, love'em. That engine is a possible donor for me as well, if it can be modified to fit my space under the hood (or bonnet in Commonwealth English). ;-)
I'd just use a Geo metro motor for what you are doing and then find a used Motec m600 ECU. That should work on a 3 cylinder. Then cut the intake down to the flange, make a fabbed manifold with three injectors, go with coil on plug ignition. You probably have to make up a timing wheel on the crank and then use the distributor for your #1 cylinder signal. You alos could use an off the shelf DBW system and throttle pedal (i.e. e46 BMW is one of the most popular choices). The resources for Motec are endless and there's always someone out there that can help you. With a wide band, you should get that thing pretty lean and not run into any problems unless you are pushing the motor. You could also use a low pressure turbo system and that would pretty much get you consistency over various levels of altitude.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's no need to go for a fancy intake manifold. The G10 cylinder head has the injector mounts already partly cast into the inside of the intake ports and if you put a finger in each you can feel where they just need drilling right through. The turbo version uses the same head casting and a fuel rail.

But I supercharged mine. A nice amount of boost improves the output quite nicely (50% increase in hp my case, but it certainly doesn't improve the fuel economy)!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are mistaken because you are looking for power and not worried about a packaging issue. I'm looking at efficiency and being able to package the engine in another chassis. Using what I said will make for a more efficient engine. What you look for in a goal is a hp number and then build the most efficient engine for that number. If you are looking for let's say, 60 hp, then the efficiency will get better if you spend the time to make it that way. Making power is the easy part, efficiency is a different ballgame.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are mistaken because you are looking for power and not worried about a packaging issue.

Yes, looking for more power - but no mistake on my part. I wasn't looking for efficiency (no point in fitting a supercharger if I was) but the packaging of the engine I'm talking about couldn't be more different to that which Suzuki designed it for (it's not the other one I mentioned, which is my Suzuki Swift). This one is now in a rwd car and gives 80 hp as opposed to 52 and about 95-100 ft lbs of torque (standard G10 engine gives about half that).

But in-port injection onto the backs of the inlet valves (dry manifold) is probably going to be more efficient and give better emissions than wet manifold injection, especially when the engine is warming up. Less work, too because the fuel rail already exists. ;)

Top Bottom