• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Momentum V93 -

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It's actually tuned to balance performance for the motor, most stock exhaust manifold aren't, they're just designed to fit; the exception would be the high performance cars like the new Ford GT, the Dodge SRT Hellcat, the Ferraris, and the other exotics. Those are all tuned to the motor they're on.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There has been a movement for the last 15 years for manufacturers to move away from traditional cast iron manifolds. More and more modern cars use a tuned steel tube design (you want a balance of exhaust pressure for each cylinder as to optimize efficiency for performance and emissions across operating temperature). It consists of a cast or laser cut flange, 409 SS tubing that goes to a collector built into the catalytic converter. From there a down pipe is welded on that terminates with a flange. This ends up being a one piece assembly that includes two O2 sensor ports and air injection. At least four individual parts are now made into one. A cast manifold is cheaper as an individual part but a complete welded sub assembly is cheaper when you count that it does not need to be assembled on the assembly line by hand.

One other reason manufacturers are doing this is because they can get the catalytic converter located closer to the engine. This just allows the cat to warm up quicker. I would assume that Elio is doing the same thing because they need to stick the cat somewhere. You'll see the same type of design for something like a Ford Focus and similar new vehicles.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
engine-install-jpg.21315

Is this a new E body in these picures? I hadn't noticed a gray one yet after the nose was made more pointed. Could this be the E1b integration vehicle?
Hi Marshall, I believe this was the P5 before the red paint. Notice it does not have the newer unibody frame .

https://www.eliomotors.com/elio-momentum-v24-the-art-of-getting-more-for-less/

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gee, if all the car makers are making tuned exhaust, I guess there's going to be a lot of aftermarket builders like Borla that are going to be out of business.
It's actually quite simple. Borla devotes the bulk of their business to cat back exhaust systems, accessories and OEM supplier. As for going from the engine to the cat they will do certain products but the problem comes with emissions and getting 50 state legal. Looking at the overall business structure, Borla devotes little to the street header market. It's just not the place to make money. As for the rest, shiny larger diameter and louder exhaust sells.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "header" in my G1 is inside the head. That is mainly for emissions improvement. The #1 CAT bolts directly to the head.
I believe that the Fiesta is that way also.?

Top Bottom