• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Morphic Studies

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So as a generalization of what shapes you could consider for the 2F1R layout it might be interesting to look at morphs of the FireArrow. Oddly, one has been spotted in Fairhaven. Go figure, there is a Fairhaven as the town right next to where I got my BS in Automotive Technology(yes, academic BS :) ).
http://fun107.com/meet-the-owner-of-the-fairhaven-fire-arrow-video/
These modified images represent inline seating, the original was side-by-side
FireCrossbow_white4_BuildPointb.JPG
FireCrossbow_white1x4.jpg

This is an updated FireArrow by ? Phil Coconis ?.
Honda-Gold-Wing-Trike-Kit-Prototype-Photo-by-Phil-Coconis-Use-by-Permission-Only-1.jpg

One issue to note about these. They are very close to the design of the Trimagnum by RQRiley. The purpose is more sport or fun than efficiency. They are much less safe and less effcient than an Elio. IMHO, if you want to ruin ANY trike design, just put too much power and/or too much weight in the wrong spot. Elio has it right. Trimagnum does not.
My intension for a Trimagnum would be to go with Electric front wheel drive, or all wheel drive. That would be a complete reposition of weight and power.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So let's say you want to do your own images. I call them morphs because I'm reformating one set of shapes into a pattern I have in mind. What I'm actually doing is, cut-paste-stretch-and-worp parts of the image to make a new one. So this image should be instructive on how some of that is done.
It starts as the Chrystler Atlantic and ends up as the inital artwork for the Atlantric.
I've only used an old fashioned copy of Paint to do this one.
Chrysler_Atlantic_concept_Morph.jpg

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I found some middle market vehicle morphs. The first is more of a chopped body of the Chevy Classic. Don't you think it's very Elio-ish?
View attachment 1749
Then I used the Sonata as a style pattern for this one. Similar to my Atlantric but more American-ish
View attachment 1748
I couldn't settle on what headlights were best. Ideally I'd stand in front of a store and servey people for thier reactions. For the shape of the vehicle I intended, there wouldn't be space for them at the nose/middle body.
View attachment 1747 View attachment 1750 View attachment 1751
Obviously, there are about a million more headlight design patterns that could be triied. Like maybe some more centered and standard ones. I purposely used non-standard configurations.
I like the left column, second from bottom.

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before Elio, I was thinking on getting a 91-94 mercury capri ,slicing off the back end behind the top stowaway opening and fabbing up some kinda bolt-on third wheel system-when I saw Elio I realized it would save me alot of sleepless nights and brain strains trying to figure it all out -but if it doesn't come out at all---knock on wood-----I may still go that route--I would love to see a rendering of that, if you could do it

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before Elio, I was thinking on getting a 91-94 mercury capri ,slicing off the back end behind the top stowaway opening and fabbing up some kinda bolt-on third wheel system-when I saw Elio I realized it would save me alot of sleepless nights and brain strains trying to figure it all out -but if it doesn't come out at all---knock on wood-----I may still go that route--I would love to see a rendering of that, if you could do it
You mean as an inline seater? or as a sociable side-by-side seater? There are a number of custom chops of the sociable seating out there. Seems this is done quite often (relatively) when a car is rear-ended. The sociable has very little benefit over a 4wheeler except to cheaply reserect an otherwise dead vehicle. Yes it does drop the weight quite a bit, but the aerodynamics are usually worse. Quite often it's made to look like a prosthetic stuck on the butt of a bug. I'm sure that could be improved. Maybe get a result more like the Tryane II.
Now the inline seater, that is much harder to do, but you get the benefit of much less vehicle and much improved aredynamics, plus it's easier to look more unified rather than prosthetic. But a length-wise chop, of course, is a hugely more difficult undertaking. Look up the BugWing project images (if it's still online http://www.bugwing.com/) and you can see what I mean. And the Bug chop was easier than most other length-wise chops would be.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1992-capri-for-sale-sm-Original.jpg

or as a sociable side-by-side seater?
So I did the most basic concept for a conversion to a three wheeler. The idea being to reduce the weight of the vehicle.
If you hog-out the trunk area, and carefully build a light weight but stiff structure, you could loose as much at 15% to 25% of the weight of the car. If you go to that much trouble you might as well convert the front fenders and hood to Fiberglass, get some light weight racing seats, put an aero-blister over the front wheelwells, airdam at the front, fast-back for the back window, etc etc.
I didn't use up much time to get this to be super realistic.You can work on that if you like.
This took me 5min.
1992-capri-for-sale-sm.jpg

Oh yea, while you are at it, chop the top.
1992-capri-for-sale-sm_Chop.jpg

Ammm, Ok, why not, replace the rear shell(since it's hogged out and all) with a fiberglass bonnet, and get those blisters inplace.. This is getting real steam-punkish, cool.
Need to shade that blister to make it bulge out, but you get the idea!
1992-capri-for-sale-sm_Chop3.JPG

Last edited:

russell ramsdell

Elio Addict
Reaction score
that looks kinda cool -you did good man -I wish I had your skills but I don't have the patience to learn to photoshop -thanks for the mock-up-

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't help it, just had to create this new morph of the JetSet. Hard to say if this would be comparable to the cd of the Atlantric. But also there isn't enough room for FWD config of an ICE drive, so EV or Serial Hybrid is all it could do, unless the nose were extended six inches or so, and possibly lifted.
But it looks cool, yes? (image updated for tail-lights)

McLaren-JetSet-Concept-3.jpg

Attachments

• McLaren-JetSet-Concept-3.jpg
    McLaren-JetSet-Concept-3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't help it, just add to create this new morph of the JetSet. Hard to say if this would be comparable to the cd of the Atlantric. But also there isn't enough room for FWD config of an ICE drive, so EV or Serial Hybrid is all it could do, unless the nose were extended six inches or so, and possibly lifted.
But it looks cool, yes?

View attachment 2764

I believe we can modify that front end for an FWD ICE and convince EM to build it as their premium model in a few years after this first one is successful. :cool:

Top Bottom