• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Most Affordable Vehicle Ever Created?

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the information of those of a less angry disposition who are prepared to accept an alternative view, a three wheeled version was made for the UK market. This came about because of the peculiar driver licensing laws. A small three wheeled car came under the same classification as a motorcycle and sidecar, which could be driven on a provisional motorcycle licence for an indefinite period.

The one proviso was that such a vehicle was not allowed to be fitted with a reverse gear (nor could a motorcycle and sidecar). If one was fitted during manufacture, it had to be blanked off so it could not be engaged. Some UK purchasers of Russian built Ural and Dnepr outfits, imported in the early 1970s, which had a reverse gear, fell foul of knowledgable traffic policemen. It was not uncommon for provisional licensed drivers of three wheelers showing mandatory L plates to be pulled over for a vehicle check precisely for this reason.

Reactions: Ekh

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cantwait, on what information do you base your opinions? Or are you just trolling for the fun of it? The Elio meets all automotive emissions standards. It is a very clean engine. It is designed to automotive safety standards. It has all auto-mandated stuff like OBD, ABS, air bags, seat belts, child safety seat accommodation, etc.

That's all built into the current pricing structure.

Frankly, I and others are getting sick of your ability to reach negative conclusions without affording evidence OR without doing your own research in existing Elio materials.

Go do your homework, and then rejoin the conversation. Meanwhile, either learn or go back under your bridge.
I've done my homework. So did Elio. That's why they chose to build a three-wheeled vehicle, rather than a four-wheeled one. I'm sorry you are getting sick. I hope you get feeling better, and have a nice day. I'll ignore your posts from here on out. Feel free to ignore mine.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
per comments from Paul, he chose to produce a 3 wheel vehicle (in part) due to the fact that it is by law a motorcycle and as such doesn't have to jump through as many hoops and wade through all the regs for producing an automobile .... that said, he has voluntarily committed his project to meet Fed pollution standards and to undergo crash testing ....

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think cantwait is trolling, but only stating opinion as to what could happen with government intervention. We won't know what the Elio's crash test ratings will be until after the crash test results. I guess they may be comparable to the micro or mini auto class safety standards. If crash testing fails to validate EM's anticipated safety rating will they beef up the roll cage and increase the cost? Who knows. Will I feel particularly safe driving the Elio regardless of what they do, no. However, it will be the safest motorcycle or autocycle on the road.

EM could bring the Elio roll cage specs up to NASCAR engineering standards but that would increase the vehicle weight and cost dramatically. However, I would feel much safer with the safety ratings of that Elio and frankly may be willing to pay the price for real deal autocycle safety.
Elio has backed off from 5 star crash rating, claiming "highest safety standards" instead. That may be because federal five star crash testing isn't directly applicable to any three wheeled vehicle. The protocols simply don't exist. But that does not mean The Elio is not just as safe as a really good car. Well you're right that Elio,s crash resistance is not known, it is shown by computer projections to be really safe. So far away Elio has done very well with its algorithms and projections. Except maybe on production date! So I see no reason to disbelieve them on this matter. To claim that meeting automotive safety standards would cost thousands of dollars additional is irrational on the face of it.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why you are so angry about this that you choose to post the equivalent of a shouting rant.
Although I'm from UK, I don't watch top gear and that isn't my info source.

WHO's ANGRY ? I THINK THESE MICROCAR MYTHS ARE PRETTY FUNNY !
NOT SURE WHY YOU THINK SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT IS A RANT .

HAVE YOU HEARD THE ONE WHERE MESSERSCHMITT CARS WARE MADE
FROM LEFT OVER AIRCRAFT PARTS ?

Karnaj

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He's not yelling... that's just his signature font. I always know which posts are his without having to look. Kinda like it that way ;)

Top Bottom