• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Motorcycle Question

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok now... my mind has changed.... Harley gave me a kick butt deal

Suggestions on what you would do

---- They are going to include the basic Safety course
---- The Advanced Course
---- Full gear for me
---- a 2014 883 Iron with front mount controls
----They are going to include the basic Safety course
---- The Advanced Course
---- New screamin eagle pipes with Stage 1 tuning
---- Paint maintenance and warranty
---- GAP protection (so that if the bike is totaled the payments are taken care of)
---- Maintenance (minus the 1000 mile maintenance which is 300)
---- all for 247 a month

I know you said not to make payments but MAN this is tempting lol
Questions you know or need to ask.

>' include the basic Safety course, The Advanced Course', Do you have prior riding experience?
>'883 Iron', Is the bike big enough for your size? I know they're Tall and narrow.
>'GAP protection (so that if the bike is totaled the payments are taken care of', Buy plenty of Life insurance, if the bike is 'Totaled', you maybe also.
>'Full gear for me', How much gear? Helmet, leather, gloves, rain suit, rain boots?
>'all for 247 a month', How many months? Watch this one, it's the bottom line.

This could help, be careful and Ride Safe.

ks6c

Elio Addict
Reaction score

---- The Advanced Course
---- Full gear for me
---- GAP protection (so that if the bike is totaled the payments are taken care of)
---- all for 247 a month

Looks like they REALLY want to sell a bike!

Couple of thoughts...
- It's absolutely fantastic they are including the MSF/Riders Edge courses. If you are a HOG member (H-D throws in a one-year membership free for any new bike purchase) and were to register for those classes on your own, H-D will essentially refund the entire cost through gift cards good for gear at your local Dealer. Might get a better deal by keeping it out of the deal, so to speak. The Dealer is not actually adding any monetary value to their offer, as I bet you wouldn't get the rebate through this pathway, saving the Dealer.
- Believe it or not, the 1200 is actually 5 lbs. lighter than the 883 - they use the same engine just bored out for larger pistons. You have riding experience, so you might find you'd like more power after a few weeks back in the saddle.
- The Screaming Eagle pipes will add a nice throatier note to the sound. The Stage 1 tuning is just a canned-map ECM flash and, to be honest, likely won't do much for you in FL (becomes more of an issue at altitude).
- Never heard of "paint maintenance and warranty". Does that mean they're going to wash/wax your bike whenever you want, or that they will actually take care of chips/scratches/etc? FWIW, Harley's paint is the best in the business and a Sporty has extremely little frontal area for stone chips to be an issue, so you might never take advantage of a paint warranty. Put a big fairing on the front, however, and it's a different story.
- The average Harley is ridden less than 3,500 miles per year and the service interval is every 5,000 miles, so they're planning on less than 1 non-warranty service visit per year. It's good if you're not mechanically inclined to have them go over the bike at the 1K break-in service, but the 5K is really nothing more than an oil/filter change (5 qts @ $12, 1 filter @ $15, 0.5 hrs shop labor @ $110 est., for $130 all-in). Primary/tranny fluids are changed at 10k.
- At $247 per month, you will have paid for the bike in 3 years. You don't mention the term, but anything beyond 3 years would be all interest/profit for H-D Finance.

I LOVE shopping for new bikes - especially with somebody else's money <lol>

Dan

Larryrc1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

---- The Advanced Course
---- Full gear for me
---- all for 247 a month

good job on the deal I really like the new 883's but am kinda of partial to the forty eight,that is if I didn't have my Vrod.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
For what the Harley will cost (I know they're cool) you can buy (4-5) Elio's.

That would be the most expensive Sporty in the world!!! You can buy a Streetglide for less than that...and have a fairing, bags and tunes!

I would not buy the Sporty as I think if you plan on commuting you will not like the ride. I see them as just play bikes.

You don't look like a small person, so I would suggest a Dyna...they are well balanced and light handling and you will have more room.

I am 5'7" and my wife is 5'2" and we fit comfortably and I believe they are coming with the 103" engine now.
0838299a-1f55-4483-ba7e-8d8568de5a5d_zps1f6a8fd6.jpg

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Questions you know or need to ask.

>' include the basic Safety course, The Advanced Course', Do you have prior riding experience?
>'883 Iron', Is the bike big enough for your size? I know they're Tall and narrow.
>'GAP protection (so that if the bike is totaled the payments are taken care of', Buy plenty of Life insurance, if the bike is 'Totaled', you maybe also.
>'Full gear for me', How much gear? Helmet, leather, gloves, rain suit, rain boots?
>'all for 247 a month', How many months? Watch this one, it's the bottom line.

This could help, be careful and Ride Safe.

---I have ridden for five years :)
---883 is perfect for me... I am 185 and 5'10"
---Gear is Helmet, gloves, leather, boots, and armor
---And its 247 for 60 months

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Its 60 months at 3.99%. I can pay it off in two years with 600 a month; also with 1000 down they are putting the price at 227 and change for 60 months. From what you guys have said it seems to be pretty pricey.

The bikes total OTD price with tax, tag, and titling and setup is 13 and change I believe

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Its 60 months at 3.99%. I can pay it off in two years with 600 a month; also with 1000 down they are putting the price at 227 and change for 60 months. From what you guys have said it seems to be pretty pricey.

The bikes total OTD price with tax, tag, and titling and setup is 13 and change I believe
Sorry but that is no deal on a 883. Runaway.

amwinkle

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I took a look at the costs and I think the GAP is what is pushing the price over the top and the Tire and Maintenance plan

Should I see what it costs without that?

I mean I believe I can get GAP through my insurance right?

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score

That's pretty (Dam) HI for an '883'. You're in Dyna territory at that price.
Look around a lot More.

Top Bottom