• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Mark here. I am an Australian who lives permanently in China with my own businesses there as in mine, not Chinese, not Joint Venture, but my own. I run and control everything myself.

I have a long car building history, from self-designing and scratchbuilding, to repairing and modifying race and rally cars.

There's no need for me to repeat the Elio story, you all know it, but I see numbers of people who are keen to get their Elio or something similar in concept, so I have decided to take up the challenge.

There is no $1000 deposit being sought, there's no stock market shares on offer, I'm not offering T-shirts or bumper stickers, I'm just building the prototype right now, then looking to manufacturer and sell them. No money until they are real and available, it's that simple. Many of you have been bitten once, I understand.

I'm not that good with photoshop, but the car might look a little like this, and will have 2 doors, not one, a driver's door on the left, the rear pax door on the right, I call it the 'Odd Door'.

I am using as many 'off the shelf parts' as possible to keep costs down, and later repair costs down and parts obtainable.

I will post/update here if acceptable to all(?), and I am running a Facebook group where you are welcome if you are polite and friendly, and enjoy a bit of humour :-)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/329191161401401

V7 odd door.jpg

very first.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image11.jpg

taper 3.jpg

taper 6.jpg

weld sides.jpg

Josh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Well, you've got a tough row to hoe but I hope you are successful. Pe failed miserably because of the unrealistic "must haves" that he set. As you are in China, with its first class manufacturing capability you are that much further ahead. Good luck, I hope you are thinking electric power plant. ICE engines are dinosaurs.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ICE may be dinosaurs but filling the tank sure is much faster and convenient then waiting hours for a battery to charge.

Good luck in your project.

Only thing I don't like is the 2 front wheels are part of the car. Reason I bit on the Elio is they was stuck out, which made it look different and "neat" in my opinion.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, you've got a tough row to hoe but I hope you are successful. Pe failed miserably because of the unrealistic "must haves" that he set. As you are in China, with its first class manufacturing capability you are that much further ahead. Good luck, I hope you are thinking electric power plant. ICE engines are dinosaurs.

Hi Josh.

On the back of the Elio, and for ease of development, it will be ICE up first, then EV. IF, and that's if, it is successful, I will need an EV model for Europe markets anyway, not going to break into their market with an ICE.

But I am involved with EV cars, and am fortunate to have access to OEM R&D.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, the front wheels are only as far apart as the body? Oh wait, I think I see motorcycle fenders. Sorry.

Only thing I don't like is the 2 front wheels are part of the car. Reason I bit on the Elio is they was stuck out, which made it look different and "neat" in my opinion.

No problem. Yes, outrigger front wheels, sorry my photoshop'ing isn't so good!

ICE may be dinosaurs but filling the tank sure is much faster and convenient then waiting hours for a battery to charge.

Hi Hairy, ICE will be first up, don't worry, but as to your EV concerns:

I have owned and dealt in EVs for over 5 years now. 95% of people charge at home 95% of the time. It takes 20 seconds out of my life, 10 seconds to plug in when I get home, 10 seconds to plug out in the morning.

On the occasion when I go for a longer trip, my rest, food or coffee stops coincide with the 30 to 40 minutes of charging. Sit down relax, when finished your break, the car is ready.

That's the reality of day to day life for 95% of EV owners.

Top Bottom