• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So 2 days reports:

Yesterday:

I had a 'everything went wrong' day today, they happen occasionally ... and including I had to leave the factory abruptly late afternoon, without taking a few snaps of what I did today.
So a drawing of what I did: I got the other side sill cut off, replaced it with a long tube (like the picture yesterday in the post above), aligned it all up and welded a couple of cross stays for the moment. The tubes and cross braces are depicted in red .. and no, that's not a CAD model of the BEX.

jig 1.jpg

................... and Today:

The bad day yesterday was actually for a good result. After I got the 'sled' (temporary chassis) all squared up, it showed up the bodyshell being twisted, so I spent today getting it all re-aligned, and was quite the effort ... but, as they say, a good foundation ...
The video here show the door jams all fit nicely now, and the twist that was at the rear of the body shell, has been resolved.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPuf65ru7UE

On the sled, side ..
sled 1.jpg

On the sled, front ..
sled front on.jpg

Last edited:

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looking good... That door swung effortlessly and the gap looks perfect.
I've never built a car, so I'm certainly no authority... but it does appear, this isn't your first rodeo.
I appreciate you taking time to post your progress. I'm already addicted... ;)

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today I started to layout/build the roll cage, needs to be done now as things like the doors will hang off it at hard points.

First I had to replace the center bracing jig with a riveted flat sheet as the tube brace was in the way.
roll 2.jpg

Next was to weld in some floor cross-members that the roll cage will attach to.
roll 1.jpg

Then a piece of small aluminium tube bent into shape as a pattern.
Trusty old pipe bender on the bench, and we end up with the first half, and as it's a flat plane, simply duplicate it for the other half, trim it, join them, and I have the complete roll-over hoop pattern.
roll 5.jpg

roll 3.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lookin' good...

It's awesome to see your step by step comments and pics. Did you document your previous projects/work like this?
Not to be too nosey, but do you have help in your build at this point – or is it just your own two hands?

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Working out the longitudinal roll bars today. Quite happy that I was able to route them past the main hoop and only gussets will be required, no time consuming fishmouthing .....

roll 7.jpg

roll 8.jpg

Not to be too nosey, but do you have help in your build at this point – or is it just your own two hands?

Not my first rodeo as you can probably tell, and yes, by myself at the moment for a few more weeks yet.

Recovering from open heart surgery exactly 2 years ago, and just getting up to full steam again (finally!), they said it would be 6 months .. My couple of good workers are still loaned out to a few friend's companies, I haven't decided the later stages yet, have options.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Working out the longitudinal roll bars today. Quite happy that I was able to route them past the main hoop and only gussets will be required, no time consuming fishmouthing .....

View attachment 24569

View attachment 24570

Not my first rodeo as you can probably tell, and yes, by myself at the moment for a few more weeks yet.

Recovering from open heart surgery exactly 2 years ago, and just getting up to full steam again (finally!), they said it would be 6 months .. My couple of good workers are still loaned out to a few friend's companies, I haven't decided the later stages yet, have options.
Looks like a perfect fit behind the hoop. Like it was meant to be.
Glad to hear, you have options. Options are always a good thing to have.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Following on from yesterday, today I completed the left side longitudinal roll hoop, and mirrored it to the right hand side.

roll 11.jpg

Couldn't be more happy with the fit, and that the side hoops pass perfectly past the main roll bar hoop, and will require nothing but simple gusset plates to connect them.

roll 15.jpg

roll 13.jpg

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Following on from yesterday, today I completed the left side longitudinal roll hoop, and mirrored it to the right hand side.

View attachment 24571

Couldn't be more happy with the fit, and that the side hoops pass perfectly past the main roll bar hoop, and will require nothing but simple gusset plates to connect them.

View attachment 24573

View attachment 24572
You sure brought some life on this site Mark BEX! Can't wait to see Your very own handcrafted "production ready" ELIO ....err better yet, you can start a new thread in naming your own creation. I'm ordering mine with a 3 cyl. turbo and 3 fat tires. Thanks.

Top Bottom