• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The pedal count is because that's the pedal box I happen to have. it came out of the same car as my mule engine and gearbox, as did the steering column.

Some points:

The foundation of all this is an alternative to the Elio. The Elio was a manual.

Over 80% of interested Parties are 45 and over, they are evenly split between 45 to 55, 55 to 65, 65 and over. There has only been a couple mention they can't drive a manual and usually due to some leg problem, not lack of manual driving skill.

Likely it will be a manual first up, as it's simply the cheapest and easiest to source.

Ideally I would like to source a CVT, it is the most suitable for this lightweight vehicle type. I have options, am investigating them all. It is possible that it will be a CVT, if I find a package at an economical price.

Personally, I would prefer a manual in the BEX, just as I would have in the E. But hey, I wouldn't turn down an auto or CVT. You can just cut a hole in the floor and I'll gladly Fred Flintstone it, if I have to.

Regarding a manual... while the majority of US folks probably haven't driven a manual, very few couldn't learn how to drive one – including my adult children. I think my son would really enjoy a manual. He's 30.

Are most manuals 5 speeds these days?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I like it, I like it!! 4 doors is too many on it, but it's not a deal breaker, it just looks too busy with 4 doors.
What is price field looking like? In other words, how much for a complete unit delivered?
And is it using a 4 door body, split down the middle? If so, which body is it?
Drive train, Electric or Gas? Or can you get it either way?
Ohhh I have about 1,000 other questions, but I'll settle for these first
And ask really nice......Please???!!!!

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like it, I like it!! 4 doors is too many on it, but it's not a deal breaker, it just looks too busy with 4 doors.
What is price field looking like? In other words, how much for a complete unit delivered?

Hey Coss...

I'm sure Mark will post when he has a minute. It appears that he's staying pretty busy these days.

I'll try to fill you in just a bit, while we wait for his response. He's using a 4-door as a donor. I don't believe he's stated what make or model. His vehicle will have 2 doors. He's leaning on having the driver's door open on the left – while the passenger opens to the right. Opposite door openings. His vehicle won't be a 4-door. Right now he's planning on using a 1.3 liter 3-cylinder in this first one. He's stated numerous times that he has a number of options in practically all areas. Just my observation – my words, not his... but he seems to build a lot by feel, and he has a ton of building experience. Instead of a bunch of white shirts arguing at a conference room table, this guy is just building what he sees it needs. I love it.

I believe he's aiming for $10,000 – or close to it. That's the cost of an Elio with the added inflation over the last 6-7-8 years. He's going to achieve this by using as much OEM parts as possible. Literally. Something that Elio should/could have done. Apparently, Mark has numerous contacts to make that happen. His first prototype will be gas – and likely first vehicles will be gas. Although, he has experience in electric – and contacts in that area as well. If the gas models get off the ground, electric will follow. He's said that Europe will definitely want electric and he wants to provide.

I hope I haven't spoken out of turn for Mark. He'll answer your questions much better! I'm just a new follower of his.

He appears to be very capable of pulling this thing off – and I think he's genuine and serious. From what I see, he can do what should have been done by others that we rooted for. He's the real deal and I think he can and will pull it off.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Start falling in line folks- I ordered FIRST! My only requirements are 3 fat tires and a 3cyl. turbo which I know won't be a problem for him! ;)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Start falling in line folks- I ordered FIRST! My only requirements are 3 fat tires and a 3cyl. turbo which I know won't be a problem for him! ;)
Oh I'll be glad to take a number and wait in line, have lots of practice doing that.
But it would be nice to know a bit more about it, and approx. price

Top Bottom