• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today I added a crossmember and brace to the front of the roll cage, so I could remove the other brace.

Now I can sit in the car with my legs forward, and start to prepare steering and pedal positioning.
roll 17.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A step further with the steering and pedal arrangement ...

steer 1.jpg

Looking real good. I'm watching too!
I don't book-face so please keep posting here.

I also prefer the layout and more personal touch of web forums, Facebook is also easy to get locked out of, and other issues such as being hacked, so happy to keep my blog here as well.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A step further with the steering and pedal arrangement ...

View attachment 24576

I also prefer the layout and more personal touch of web forums, Facebook is also easy to get locked out of, and other issues such as being hacked, so happy to keep my blog here as well.
Manual or automatic transmission? Aww poop. Just counted pedals, sorry.

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey.... I did the same thing. Ha!

I wonder what percentage of folks in the US can even drive a manual? I have two adult kids and they wouldn’t have a clue how to drive one. I doubt any of their friends do either. Times and tastes have changed. I was probably 30 or so before I had my first automatic. Lol...

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I wonder what percentage of folks in the US can even drive a manual? I was probably 30 or so before I had my first automatic.

The pedal count is because that's the pedal box I happen to have. it came out of the same car as my mule engine and gearbox, as did the steering column.

Some points:

The foundation of all this is an alternative to the Elio. The Elio was a manual.

Over 80% of interested Parties are 45 and over, they are evenly split between 45 to 55, 55 to 65, 65 and over. There has only been a couple mention they can't drive a manual and usually due to some leg problem, not lack of manual driving skill.

Likely it will be a manual first up, as it's simply the cheapest and easiest to source.

Ideally I would like to source a CVT, it is the most suitable for this lightweight vehicle type. I have options, am investigating them all. It is possible that it will be a CVT, if I find a package at an economical price.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I wonder what percentage of folks in the US can even drive a manual? I have two adult kids and they wouldn’t have a clue how to drive one. I doubt any of their friends do either. Times and tastes have changed. I was probably 30 or so before I had my first automatic. Lol...
Well IF like minds think alike, you have my sympathy.

Top Bottom