• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Been doing some house items the last few days, by order of the Boss.

Now mapping out a front subframe to support the radiator and the air conditioning condensor.
I made a nice one yesterday, but went to put the air con condensor on this morning, and hadn't noticed that for some strange reason, the integral expansion tank, blue arrow, was offset, weird, and it hit my nice new frame, red arrow .....

air con 1.jpg

... so this morning ground the welds off, and rebuilt it using angle so the expansion tank fits in snugly, which it now does.

front subframe 1.jpg

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am doing major reconstruction in CAD these days, been 2 full days at it, maybe another day yet, then make some major changes in real metal from there. All aimed at reducing cost and ease of production.

Remember, this isn't a one off build, it's a precursor to production, and the time I waste now getting it right, saves lots more time later.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am doing major reconstruction in CAD these days, been 2 full days at it, maybe another day yet, then make some major changes in real metal from there. All aimed at reducing cost and ease of production.

Remember, this isn't a one off build, it's a precursor to production, and the time I waste now getting it right, saves lots more time later.
Reminds me of a sign I had on my desk at Texas Instruments: "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, When will you have time to do it over?"

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

for me, following this build has been an eyeopener .... I had no idea at what a wide range of talents a single person must have to undertake a project like this .... Mark's transparency throughout the process clearly demonstrates an impressive array skills

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And there is the parts for the production front subframe, hopefully. There may be some minor mods required, but I'm hoping it works out as planned.

front subframe 3.jpg

Front subframe 2.jpg

Now I have to translate it into a CNC file so I can get it all laser out, then to the fold shop.

Took me 3 days to get it right, the laser will cut it all out in under 5 minutes! I'm happy I managed to get this lot onto a standard 1000 x 2000 mm / 4 x 8' sheetmetal sheet too.

front subframe 4.jpg

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And there is the parts for the production front subframe, hopefully. There may be some minor mods required, but I'm hoping it works out as planned.

View attachment 25282

View attachment 25281

Now I have to translate it into a CNC file so I can get it all laser out, then to the fold shop.

Took me 3 days to get it right, the laser will cut it all out in under 5 minutes! I'm happy I managed to get this lot onto a standard 1000 x 2000 mm / 4 x 8' sheetmetal sheet too.

View attachment 25283
There’s not enough waste there to make a business card. Love it!

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok... here's a really dumb question – or two:

When you draw for the laser, does the laser cut on the outside of your line? Or, I guess the laser cuts right smack on the line? If it cuts right on the line, how much do you allow for the width of the beam?

I've never been around a laser cutter... but it looks like it could be fun designing and building with its help. I know laser has been with us for sometime now, but it still amazes me. Water jet is even more "magical"... cutting steel with water...

Top Bottom