• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would prefer that once you have an idea that you would aim for a fuel tank big enough to get 700 miles which is a full day drive without having to stop and refuel multiple times.
I've driven 700 or more mile days but that was many moons ago .... even back then, potty, food, and walk around a bit to unkink my back and joint breaks chopped up the drive .... years ago my cardiologist insisted that I need walk around breaks every couple of hours .... once my wife heard him say that, taking breaks was no longer optional

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"which determines where the fuel tank will go" What size will the fuel tank be? I had a 8 gallon tank in my 2015 Ford Fiesta and a 25 gallon tank in my current 2003 Cadillac DeVille. Going the same routes, I only have to fuel the Cadillac once vs having to fuel the Ford three times for the same distance despite the Fiesta having nearly twice the MPG. I'm hoping for a larger rather than a smaller fuel tank. I don't know how many highway MPG this vehicle will get (and probably too soon for you to know either) but I would prefer that once you have an idea that you would aim for a fuel tank big enough to get 700 miles which is a full day drive without having to stop and refuel multiple times.

8 gallons.

There are serious considerations for a 3 wheeler in that the tank has almost no other positioning capabilty other than behind the rear seat.

This places weight in the worst possible place for a reverse trike vehicle's stability, eg; at the rear of the vehicle. All I can do is try to keep it as far forward and as low as is practical, and of course limit the size, because size means weight. Add to that, that the tank I can easily purchase is quite all round suitable, in being low pancake shape (not vertical type), and of 8 gallons.

The stability issue of excess rearward weight, is one of the reasons I am delighted with the staggered seating, that moves both the passenger and cargo weights further forward, as well as the fuel tank as mentioned.

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's hoping that the reduced width gets better MPG as my Fiesta (37 MPG) couldn't even make 300 miles given that the tank is the same size. Thanks for explaining the why instead of just a "no", ignoring the question, or deleting the post entirely like Aptera is known to do.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
300 miles for this old geezer that can only handle a max 500 miles in any vehicle per day……so one stop fuel and food……would be perfect. Similar to my 326 mile range EV with one stop to charge while having lunch. Most market demographics for a three wheeler will be used as a daily short range commuter vehicle……typical to Elio’s marketed “&” vehicle, supplement to the roomier, more comfortable on long road trips, family car.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
300 miles for this old geezer that can only handle a max 500 miles in any vehicle per day……so one stop fuel and food……would be perfect. Similar to my 326 mile range EV with one stop to charge while having lunch. Most market demographics for a three wheeler will be used as a daily short range commuter vehicle……typical to Elio’s marketed “&” vehicle, supplement to the roomier, more comfortable on long road trips, family car.
I'm in a 20MPG vehicle, I liked my 37MPG Fiesta, and I had been looking forward to the 84MPG Elio. Routine 1200mi trips make gas come to mind as an unnecessary expense after knowing what is possible because it has been made but manufacturers choose not to produce :( While I'm also in line for the Aptera, taking 1hr+ to recharge is annoying given the 5min at a gas pump.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm in a 20MPG vehicle, I liked my 37MPG Fiesta, and I had been looking forward to the 84MPG Elio. Routine 1200mi trips make gas come to mind as an unnecessary expense after knowing what is possible because it has been made but manufacturers choose not to produce :( While I'm also in line for the Aptera, taking 1hr+ to recharge is annoying given the 5min at a gas pump.
I agree the higher the MPG the better. Regarding EV charge time compared to pump time, I had the same concern, but found that based on my personal driving experience, I did the 5-10 minute stop for gas and then had a needed 30+ minute pee, coffee, or lunch break. Driving my EV, I plug it in and while it’s charging I have that coffee/lunch break And watch the charge progress on my cell phone. It takes about the same amount of time based on my traveling style, your needs likely differ. The tip I got from other EV owners was to charge to the level necessary to get to your next or overnight destination. I found that my average charge time when traveling has been under 30 minutes. I charge to 100% overnight at the motel charger and it’s ready to start my early morning journey. You might find road tripping with the Aptera less annoying than you thought. :) EV road trips do require a little more planning time, but I was pleasantly surprised just how convenient it is.
I hope they make it to production. As I recall Aptera is marketing a 500 and 1000 mile range options.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm in a 20MPG vehicle, I liked my 37MPG Fiesta, and I had been looking forward to the 84MPG Elio.

I 100% do not believe that the Elio could have gotten "84 mpg", and note that it was never proven either.

I believe mine will be capable of between 50 to 60 mpg, and it's not just the aero, but the lower weight as well, which should be under 2/3rds that of the Fiesta, 1200kgs Vs 800kgs (estimated).

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
" but I would prefer that once you have an idea that you would aim for a fuel tank big enough to get 700 miles which is a full day drive without having to stop and refuel multiple times."
Really? Wow, I salute you for being able to drive 700 miles non-stop. I probably can but I won't because my bladder's health is more important than a few minutes of gas stop.
Before I had a head injury and had to stop most of what I had been doing, I had been a truck driver delivering processed pork from North Carolina to Florida and Maryland. Every day with various stops I had days with at least 500mi with some over 600mi, though only once a hair over 700 and that was early on doing coast to coast for a FedEx priority load with a codriver. Of course, the truck that I was using at that time had 2x150 gallon fuel tanks which were a bit too much to be placed in a car ;) Photography is what I did before and after my truck driving years, but those routes always are between 500mi and 1200mi done in 1 or 2 days. I usually calculate my refuel points ahead of time when I expect to be at 1/8 of a tank, which the company was planning for me as a company trucker and also usually around 1/8 of a tank.

Top Bottom