• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
time to get back on topic of the autocycle.

Please excuse me the last few days, have had a severe stomach complaint, been at home on the CAD design fine tuning, but nothing at the factory, feeling a lot better today today.

I actually went to the Doctor and he amputated my left side to resolve it, so I'm all right now.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please excuse me the last few days, have had a severe stomach complaint, been at home on the CAD design fine tuning, but nothing at the factory, feeling a lot better today today.

I actually went to the Doctor and he amputated my left side to resolve it, so I'm all right now.
I sincerely hope that you are right-handed!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I 100% do not believe that the Elio could have gotten "84 mpg", and note that it was never proven either.

I believe mine will be capable of between 50 to 60 mpg, and it's not just the aero, but the lower weight as well, which should be under 2/3rds that of the Fiesta, 1200kgs Vs 800kgs (estimated).
The US version of the 2001 Honda Insight had a very small frontal area relative to other sedans, relevent stats are;
Drive: series/parallel hybrid
Curb Weight: 1856 lbs (842kg) to 1887 lbs (856kg)
Fuel Use City/Highway: 61mpg (26kpl) / 70mpg (30kpl)

So I would guess you are right on or even conservative at 60mpg, depending on the amount of lead in the driver's foot.

My Prius C (2500 lbs) was rated at 52/54 mpg (hybrid), and I always got 55 to 70 (highway) out of it when trying even a little. When I was bad or very lax, 45 to 55mpg. Average driving would be about 50-65mpg depending on terrain.

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The US version of the 2001 Honda Insight had a very small frontal area relative to other sedans, relevent stats are;
Drive: series/parallel hybrid
Curb Weight: 1856 lbs (842kg) to 1887 lbs (856kg)
Fuel Use City/Highway: 61mpg (26kpl) / 70mpg (30kpl)
So I would guess you are right on or even conservative at 60mpg, depending on the amount of lead in the driver's foot.
My Prius C (2500 lbs) was rated at 52/54 mpg (hybrid), and I always got 55 to 70 (highway) out of it when trying even a little. When I was bad or very lax, 45 to 55mpg. Average driving would be about 50-65mpg depending on terrain.

ICE vs Hybrid? Not exactly apples to apples.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My LRR is a turbocharged 2001 Insight. I use a little of the turbo boost vs. the Hybrid battery most of the time. My Lifetime MPG for over 475,000 miles is 58.2 because I drive it like a hot rod most of the time. (You have to in my area). Numerous trips across the USA at 75 MPH cruising with the "REAL" mpg at 60+.

The BEX should have no problem achieving the same MPG.

I also have a 2007 Fit, which averages 34+ MPG, driving in a HOTROD style. (1.5l engine maybe like the BEX)

Both vehicle are "real happy" driving at a constant 80 MPH.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My LRR is a turbocharged 2001 Insight. I use a little of the turbo boost vs. the Hybrid battery most of the time. My Lifetime MPG for over 475,000 miles is 58.2 because I drive it like a hot rod most of the time. (You have to in my area). Numerous trips across the USA at 75 MPH cruising with the "REAL" mpg at 60+.

The BEX should have no problem achieving the same MPG.

I also have a 2007 Fit, which averages 34+ MPG, driving in a HOTROD style. (1.5l engine maybe like the BEX)

Both vehicle are "real happy" driving at a constant 80 MPH.
I like your enthusiasm driving HOTROD style! Is your Insight and Honda Fit stick shift (manual drive)? Your 2001 Insight's 0-60 is around 10.9 sec. and your 2007 Honda Fit is around 9.5 sec.....not exactly hotrod caliber but it'll do for seniors. :becky:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because I am now slightly wider at the floor, I can make room to be able to move the rear suspension strut forward, and off the rear axle, up next to the fuel tank.

It take no more effort or material to achieve this, but it has real benefits:

It lowers the unsprung weight off the rear tyre, which helps with comfort and less chance of punctures, as the tyre is able to rise at a faster rate.

But importantly, and I have mentioned this many times now, it moves the weight of the strut, which is heavy, forward of the rear wheel, and lower, helping to make a safer, more stable vehicle.

Also it will allow for a larger parcel shelf behind the passenger.

1677172157043.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a bit complicated at the moment, the roll bar (which i am doing new patterns for, pictured), the fuel tank (now temp mounted, picture) and the rear suspension, are all integrated with each other, so you make one, and have to check with the other 2 that they all fit together. But going well otherwise.

I am doing a heck of a lot, for almost zero visual changes, a bit annoying, but that's how it is sometimes.

1677336508753.png

Top Bottom