• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Myers Motors

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not trying to fan the flames... but sometimes there are new car deals that are hard to pass up. There are dealerships in certain markets that still have brand-new 2015 Fiat 500s on the lot. Some are going for as little as $7,000. That's a car with a $17,000 sticker price.

My mom bought a new Nissan Cube that was just about fully loaded for about $13,000 a few years ago.

VW has tons of deals on the lot right now, largely due to their bad publicity.

As for electric cars... you can't get them out on the right coast, but off-lease Fiat 500e models with low miles are selling for around $5-6,000. This is mainly due to the fact that they are offering leases on new ones for as little as $79/month, so people won't pay much for a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not trying to fan the flames... but sometimes there are new car deals that are hard to pass up. There are dealerships in certain markets that still have brand-new 2015 Fiat 500s on the lot. Some are going for as little as $7,000. That's a car with a $17,000 sticker price.

My mom bought a new Nissan Cube that was just about fully loaded for about $13,000 a few years ago.

As for electric cars... you can't get them out on the right coast, but off-lease Fiat 500e models with low miles are selling for around $5-6,000. This is mainly due to the fact that they are offering leases on new ones for as little as $79/month, so people won't pay much for a used one.

Yeah, a "new" car that is several model years old and priced-to-sell can often be a good deal, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at a new car given the right circumstances. My main beef with new cars is the instantaneous depreciation they suffer from, but if the value of the new car has already depreciated due to market forces, then I'd say it is just as good as any used car :p

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, a "new" car that is several model years old and priced-to-sell can often be a good deal, and I wouldn't turn my nose up at a new car given the right circumstances. My main beef with new cars is the instantaneous depreciation they suffer from, but if the value of the new car has already depreciated due to market forces, then I'd say it is just as good as any used car :p
And would still come with a factory warranty :)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

I was reading the other day, cars that are at the bottom of holding value, the Fiat 500 is one of those; the resale/trade-in value is really bad.

McBrew

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was reading the other day, cars that are at the bottom of holding value, the Fiat 500 is one of those; the resale/trade-in value is really bad.

Yeah, tell me about it. Sticker on my Abarth was $33,000. I paid about $26k. A year later, it is worth about $14k.

Not like I'm trying to sell it, though. It's a fun car. Temps got up to an unseasonably warm 70 degrees today, so the top went down, and I found excuses to go out for a drive during the day.

On the other end of the spectrum, I just got rid of my 2011 Outback. Paid about $27k new... drove it for 6 years and 80,000 miles. Traded it in for $12k. Would have kept it longer had it not been for a leaky head gasket.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about it. Sticker on my Abarth was $33,000. I paid about $26k. A year later, it is worth about $14k.

Not like I'm trying to sell it, though. It's a fun car. Temps got up to an unseasonably warm 70 degrees today, so the top went down, and I found excuses to go out for a drive during the day.

On the other end of the spectrum, I just got rid of my 2011 Outback. Paid about $27k new... drove it for 6 years and 80,000 miles. Traded it in for $12k. Would have kept it longer had it not been for a leaky head gasket.
"......Yeah, tell me about it. Sticker on my Abarth was $33,000. I paid about $26k. A year later, it is worth about $14k" Ouch!! It lost 60% in value in how long? A Year? That is pretty bad.
My Magnum was a little better; 2007 I bought in mid 2007 with 12K on the clock; it list at $32K and I got it for $19K (it was a program car (traveling Dodge Exec's car) so it may have window stickered for that much, but who knows what the company writes off for it) sold it in 2014 with 53K on the clock for $12K so basically it cost me $1K a year to own it, not too bad.
And pricing it today (when it would be 10 yrs. old), it's still would be worth $6,500 to $7K

I made out pretty good on that one.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because busy car owners seldom read their owner's manuals, most have no idea of the actual oil change interval for their cars. And so they blindly follow the windshield reminder sticker, whether it's an accurate indicator of the need for an oil change or not. "I just go by the sticker in the windshield," one well-to-do, educated Denver Lexus owner said. "Otherwise, how would I know when to change it?"
I have a little warning light that comes on. Whenever I make a hard turn and the Oil Pressure warning light comes on, that's the clue for me to add another quart or two to the engine. Otherwise, it's about every year or so that I have the sludge scraped out of the engine and new sludge poured in.

Top Bottom