• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Naias 2017

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today is the fifth day of NAIAS so the reservation count has had time to experience a car show "bump". So once again I politely ask Elio to please update the reservation count more frequently. There, I have done it, I participated in an exercise in futility. That is the only exercise I am going to do today.

I heard about a guy, who shall remain nameless who's only exercise involves filling up the bathtub, taking a bath, then pulling the plug and fighting the current.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An inactive member here (LGilbert) went to the show and filed this report on Facebook: It goes as follows:

Larry Gilbert, 1/19/17
The Elio display at the Detroit Auto Show included a gorgeous black specimen and one of the bare E series chassis. I asked Elio principals what I could report to the Elio Forum that would peak their interest. Here are the results:
1) The chassis seen in pictures of the E series (and at the Detroit show), is now obsolete. The design has been significantly upgraded and redesigned with operational criteria, crash protection improvement, production quality and lightness in mind. It appeared at the LA show without fanfare and is significantly improved over what is shown in Detroit. Roush Engineering has been instrumental in the redesign of the platform.
2) Roush has done computer modeling of the new chassis relative to crash performance. I saw the animation/simulation in Detroit, but it has not been officially released. Stay tuned....
3) The bottom front suspension element, as seen in the E series, is a production configuration, but the upper A-arm, now shown as welded, tubular construction, will be a cast piece.
4) The Elgin dashboard was dropped because it would delay production by four months. It was indicated that it might be available in the future as Paul is still partial to it. I suggested that a commemorative Elgin clock for the dashboard that resembled Paul's father's watch would be an interesting and welcome alternative/option. I personally always liked the clocks on our '50s-'60s cars (although they frequently died) and would order one.
5) I asked about the estimated weight of the production vehicle. The target production weight is about 1300 lbs.
6) The automatic transmission pricing shown on the configurator is a bit high. Current estimate is about $1000.
7) The current steering wheel is only one of possibly a number of optional designs that might be available to customize the interior. Leather is one option being considered. I suggested a heated steering wheel option.
8) The current shifter shown is not production. I suggested a paddle shifter option or the ability to up/down shift the automatic transmission via the shift lever, sort of a sport mode.
8) The current hood latching system is a nifty, flush, push button on each side of the hood, but whether this is the final design is still under consideration.
9) The battery will not be in the engine compartment. This is a good decision as heat is a significant killer of battery life.
10) February, 2018 was given as the target start of production.
The addition of Roush Engineering as their lead development consultant is one of the most important decisions Elio has made. I expect their collaboration to result in a superior and safer Elio, well worth pushing back production to insure their engineering skill is used to the fullest.

Rick Deckard shared a link.
And the answer is No Takata is not the supplier of air bags being used in the Elio.. Airbags are supplied by Key Safety Systems (KSS).

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with moving the battery, in my Magnum it was in the Right rear corner of the trunk (big battery too)
And that's actually an old racer's trick, it helps to balance the car; in the case of the Elio, the battery is much smaller, but it will still have the same affect, it helps to distribute the weight.
I LIKE the #10 entry, Feb 2018 sounds wonderful to me, (I also turn 65 in Feb, 2018, what a gift that is going to be).
#8) The hood latch sounds pretty cool; reminds me of early race cars and early Jags.
#3) I'm not thrilled about; I'd rather have the tubular A-arm.
#4) I would pay extra NOT to have the Elgin even though I have found a replacement.
#6) Is a little strange; in the configurator it's $1050 for the automatic, so it's not that far off from $1,000, I wonder what they meant.

So far, that's one excellent report from a member here, and one very good one from a member here, that posted it to FB first.

Thank you to all those that bring back this information for the one thing we're all waiting for.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are loyal Elio supporters from Ohio that arranged an informal meet'n'greet amongst themselves for this Saturday at NAIAS. I'd expect even more valuable intel to be forthcoming from that bunch.

When you have the opportunity to be the eyes and ears for the rest of us, understand that with great power comes great responsibility.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
April-May 2018 for mine... Perfect! The start of the summer driving season. If I got it in December 2017, I'd just have to find a place to park it for most of the winter months anyway. :p
My RV space only has my 4X8 utility trailer in it, so I have lot's of outdoor space in a secured area.
You can get a car cover and park it there; our winters are normally pretty mild; this year was an exception.
But we're back up into the 50's

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have an empty RV carport at my place too. And here in Phoenix it's dry enough that mild steel will take years to get any significant rust damage if left out in the elements.

Plus I won't have my own Elio to park there for a while since I only have a fairly recent $100 all-in reservation.

Top Bottom