• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Direction

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think when you actually stand by the P-4 latest model and view the ""spatz"" treatment for the front wheels, you will be amazed how ""COOL"" they look. Here in the South there are those that will put a $2000 set of rims on a $1500 car, and putz around blasting away on their $1800 audio system ---not ""COOL"" to most folks at all!! RB

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A bit harsh comment IMOo_O. All I was saying is that IMO I like the exposed wheel look...and I am NOT one who would spend $2K on a set of wheels...I am a very conservative person. So, as stated above, I am glad to see there will be options.
I think the guy's like a horse w/ blinders and totally missed when you mentioned "options"! It means buy your car w/out options and you pay $6,800. plus tax or w/ "options" at an added price! I like the exposed wheel my self and if possible, I'll do it without hesitation and nobody is dictating me otherwise! I will still be helping save gas by buying Elio as opposed to driving my truck!

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don""t know when this lets see the wheels trend got started, but a wheel is a wheel and we now have idiots out there that will spend $2000 on a set o "rims", thinking how cool they look. The ELIO is an autocycle, design for high MPG, ease of maintenance, low initial cost, etc., so if you want to muck it up , do so at your expense and let the factory stay the course based on sound engineering principals and not some fanciful whims of a minority seeking ""cool"" in everything they do!!

This is crackin' me up! Where have you been for the last five or six decades? That's about when the 'lets see the wheels' trend started.
The HRE 3-piece, polished, staggered 18" C97's I had on my BMW 850Ci were $5600 a set, and they were spectacular. A good friend has a set of custom wheels on his hemi Grand Cherokee SRT8 that were $9000. If you seriously think those that purchase custom wheels/fenders for their Elio will be a minority, I've got some swamp land in Arizona you may be interested in. I'm betting more will opt for the P3 look over the hideous P4 look even if it means reducing economy by 0.25 mpg.
The likely reason they've moved to the P4 style is not sound engineering principles, but sound production cost reduction principles.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
jtmarten--------Anybody that would spend up to $10 grand on wheel rims is, in my opinion, a few bricks shy of a full load!! As for mpg--the old utility trailer wheel fenders drag coeificent was a good bit more than a 0.25 mpg milage penalty---and milage is the purpose of an economic car to operate. If pezaze and looks are you criteria for vehicle purchase, go buy a Porsh 911 and live happily ever after!! And the trailer fenders were also cheaper than the styled wheel spatz!!

sfruechte

Elio Fan
Reaction score
84 mpg isn't really much of a stretch if you compare this vehicle to a Geo Metro or European Toyota IQ capable of 50 mpg. With ELIO's new engine design, direct injection, lighter weight, narrow profile and even more narrow rear end helping the aerodynamics I think 84 mpg is within reach. Same for the $6800 price tag, the Toyota IQ sold for less than $10k in Europe. You don't buy 4 airline seats for just yourself, why do it in a car? I really appreciate the fresh ideas this vehicle brings to the table.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good comments, sfruechte, however I have asked several times why ELIO has not installed the new designed for the ELIO, IVA engine?? The donated engine is another Geo Metro reworked engine and drive train that's in the P-4 version!!

dteke

Elio Fan
Reaction score
My donut spare is much thinner than the tire it's designed to replace since it's only ment to get you home. I don't understand why you're so against having a spare RB?
As far as the mpg thing goes keep the price under 7k and I don't care how close to 84 MPG the Elio ends up having but still looking cool would be great. Either way I'm getting one.
DT.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Everybody knows that Elio Motors created a winner here but remember that they are still a business... they are not here to lose money! They already know that they are satisfying a whole bunch of future customers (7,800+) but they are not stupid enough to add more standard features that will drive the cost of production up! That's where the optional upgrades come in for those that have more dough to spare. Everybody Happy!

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not against a spare, but have studied the metal frame and plastic body panels pic''s and for the life of me , cannot find a space suitable for a spare, without sacrificing most of the rear storage area. Only thing so far that might work would be a luggage rack on rear deck that , when going on a trip, screw, bolt or whatever a spare to the rack for peace of mind. Otherwise , another recast of body panels would be required and Lord , we have fiddled around with this ELIO design long enough , so lets get into production and tweak things later, if needed! RB

Top Bottom