• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Headlights Could Be Dangerous

Skrizman

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ground effects, yo!
ground effects.jpg

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tires rotate at about 800 rpm (15" tires), about 13 revs per second, at 60 mph. So, let's place two magnets on opposite sides of the front wheels and led lights with pick-up coils that would flash each time a magnet passed the coil. You'd get 26 flashes per second at 60 mph. No wiring, no appreciable energy drain, and leds are almost indestructible. Is that a Rube Goldberg scheme or what??

If the valve stems are visible, LED lights are already available. See link for Walmart. Also available in alien version.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/LED-Valve-Caps-Red/11065186?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=79638077140&category=0:4125:546956:1081404:539397:974140&client_guid=a69fdf22-9ad1-4625-857a-a615093c8972&config_id=2&parent_item_id=11065187&guid=42d504bb-242c-4cbe-97f6-ae10c3c14874&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AMEN! It's been the law in Illinois to have your headlights on anytime your wipers are on for probably twenty years now, and there's still plenty of 'em out there that never got the message! Sheesh! o_O

Funny thing though. I use rain-X on my windshield now, so I rarely need my wipers. I was thinking about this the other day when my wipers were off while it was raining. Legally, I probably didn't need my lights on, since I didn't have my wipers on. But for safety, had the lights on anyway. Always a loop hole.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny thing though. I use rain-X on my windshield now, so I rarely need my wipers. I was thinking about this the other day when my wipers were off while it was raining. Legally, I probably didn't need my lights on, since I didn't have my wipers on. But for safety, had the lights on anyway. Always a loop hole.

The law in Georgia was recently changed to account for this. They did not change the old language but simply dded a sentence that basically says if conditions exist which could limit visibility you must have your headlights on. So with the examples given in the law this now more easily accounts for rain and snow but also for fog and smoke.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The law in Georgia was recently changed to account for this. They did not change the old language but simply dded a sentence that basically says if conditions exist which could limit visibility you must have your headlights on. So with the examples given in the law this now more easily accounts for rain and snow but also for fog and smoke.

Legislating common sense. Somebody has to do it I guess.

Geordie97

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I converted my headlights on my FJ Cruiser to HID's and installed LED strip lights as daytime running lights. On our Goldwing, which I just sold, I had installed headlight modulators which is legal on motorcycles by federal law, so I imagine they will be legal on the Elio too even if the states consider it an autocycle. I will probably install some LED lights on the fenders, similar to the one's available for motorcycle fenders. When riding the motorcycle, I did everything I could to be seen and will probably do the same with the Elio.

Top Bottom