• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Headlights Could Be Dangerous

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like I said, I am probably wrong, but I would guess Bosch. They are well known, they are quality, and there are a bunch of them both in the states and across the international scene.
That would be cool for me because there is a service center in Roseburg, 15 miles away. :-) Z

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would be cool for me because there is a service center in Roseburg, 15 miles away. :) Z
That's the nice thing, most people have one nearby. There are over 800 of them in the US and 15000 worldwide. To me, it just makes sense, and especially so in view of the fact that Elio wants to take this vehicle international. That would already put that part of the infrastructure in place. But like I said, "I am only speculating, and I am probably wrong" Hope I am not though.

juando290

Elio Fan
Reaction score
When I get the Elio, I plan on putting COB LED on the front to help make the car more visible. I currently have them on our old volvo for that reason (and a set of amber ones as turn signals) and they really make it stand out. image.jpgimage.jpg

And they are thin. The only downside is that they are not flexible, so they need a flush mount point.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I get the Elio, I plan on putting COB LED on the front to help make the car more visible. I currently have them on our old volvo for that reason (and a set of amber ones as turn signals) and they really make it stand out. View attachment 2596View attachment 2597
Hi and welcome from Sutherlin, OR, juando290. This has been a very exciting day. Did you get your production number? A lot of us did so we have been flying high. I look forward to seeing you driving your Elio as I am driving mine, next year. :-) Z

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Only just seen this thread, which was posted before I joined the fray.

I agree with the thoughts of the OP. As I have said elsewhere, I don't think the P4 Elio complies with the build / lighting regulations here in UK, which require the headlights to be situated a minimum distance of 400mm from the outer edge of the vehicle. The P3 looks OK in this respect, shame they changed it because I prefer the look of that one.

Our regulations are based on the rules for Europe, so it will be a factor elsewhere, too.

I have heard first hand from a friend who pulled out in front of a motorcyclist and caused a major accident, simply because she saw two headlights and thought it was a car, but further away. This is by no means an isolated case.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember the first two headlight motorcycle to approach me at night in 1980. I was passing a slowpoke only to hear the blare of a horn because I judged it to be a car and more distant. I remember thinking, only "Suicide jockeys" would buy a motorcycle with two headlights.

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope, the lights should be just fine. Regardless of where they are positioned on a vehicle extra care needs to be taken when conditions are less than optimal and yes, more lighting is always good as long as you don't impare on coming traffic. That's as dangerous as having not enough lighting! As to when to turn them on? If there is any concern on your part they on coming traffic may not see you, that's when to do it! Don't even think twice. That rum sort of half twilight in the evening? Turn them on. Rain that is maybe a little heavy? Turn them on. Snow? Fog? Smoke? The rising or setting sun in the eyes of on coming traffic? On! On! On! On! You can't go wrong by making yourself more visible. Just remember to turn them off!

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Nope, the lights should be just fine. Regardless of where they are positioned on a vehicle extra care needs to be taken when conditions are less than optimal and yes, more lighting is always good as long as you don't impare on coming traffic. That's as dangerous as having not enough lighting! As to when to turn them on? If there is any concern on your part they on coming traffic may not see you, that's when to do it! Don't even think twice. That rum sort of half twilight in the evening? Turn them on. Rain that is maybe a little heavy? Turn them on. Snow? Fog? Smoke? The rising or setting sun in the eyes of on coming traffic? On! On! On! On! You can't go wrong by making yourself more visible. Just remember to turn them off!
i mentioned in a previous post, about mounting a red position light on the rear of the front fenders, to let passing traffic see that u're not a mc but maybe adding an amber colored led to the front of the fender might also be helpful in informing oncoming traffic that u r other than a mc, as far as clearance and separation in passing. finding a fixture that would be attractive and robust enough to endure the constant bouncing of the front tires would be the challenge. also, the wire supplying voltage would need to be a quality conductor to prevent flexing breakage. the fender has enough room molded into it's shape to allow the addition of a couple of small lamp fixtures and the wires could be epoxied to the inside of the faring, with a quick disconnect in the ball joint area, to allow removing the fender for changing the tire. if this is not appealing, then the reflective tape would be the next best approach. just wouldn't look as good, especially on my mighty marsh mellow machine.

Top Bottom