• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Headlights Could Be Dangerous

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
OR... and this is a big one... In a snowstorm (or during rain) they might consider... and this is risky... using headlights during precipitation as required by law... GASP! LOL. That's not a poke at anyone here in the forum. I just can't figure out why people can't figure out how/when to use their headlights, turn signals, etc... It's not like it's difficult. I can't tell you how many times I'd see that white or light grey car at the last minute during a good storm. I don't see how those people live long enough to procreate.

People often fail to realize that headlights are not only so you can see out but also so others can see you. During storms or during twilight hours headlights are very good safety devices that let other drivers see you earlier than they could otherwise.
I don't even want to get started on proper use of turn signals as that is a whole other can of worms. :rolleyes:

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OR... and this is a big one... In a snowstorm (or during rain) they might consider... and this is risky... using headlights during precipitation as required by law... GASP! LOL. That's not a poke at anyone here in the forum. I just can't figure out why people can't figure out how/when to use their headlights, turn signals, etc... It's not like it's difficult. I can't tell you how many times I'd see that white or light grey car at the last minute during a good storm. I don't see how those people live long enough to procreate.

Maybe it's best they don't. All these forced safety regulations are letting more and more of theses kind amass. It's no longer the survival of the fittest or smartest. You can't regulate out a law of nature.

Coda1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the look of the P4 but the headlights are too close together. Someone is bound to misjudge the distance of an oncoming Elio particularly in the fog or other limited visibility conditions.

It could happen. I seem to have poor depth perception to lights and have noticed that I use the spacing between them to judge distance. Jeep Wranglers tend to sneak up on me. Also motorcycles and cars with one bulb burnt out.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They start early. Next question.

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have been looking at the front fenders wondering if I could install little forward facing LED running rights in them. I would likely keep them on at all times for safety.
A strip of reflective tape on the leading side of each faring should work without messing up the air flow. Don't know, there may be enough side lighting from the Elios head lights to adiquately illuminate the wheel fairings. This "could be" problem will be tackled after I get my Elio!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A strip of reflective tape on the leading side of each faring should work without messing up the air flow. Don't know, there may be enough side lighting from the Elios head lights to adiquately illuminate the wheel fairings. This "could be" problem will be tackled after I get my Elio!
I suspect the drivers foot will have a lot more influence on the air flow than the reflective strips I plan on using on my Elio. I'm also using the tapes on the back of what I assume you are calling the faring. (Is the faring the same thing as fenders or spats or some of the other less polite names people who don't like them call them?)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3M makes a great Black reflective tape. I've used it on my motorcyclyes...
That is a great idea for the black fenders and back wheel area. Any suggestions for the Creamsicle for the front of the fenders and any outline I might be crazy enough to do around the body? I'd like it to not be obvious during the day time but want it to be very obvious at night. The 200 mile round trip to Medford I make every month is done through very dark nights returning home. All the communities are far enough off I-5 to not interfere with the night time sky. And there are lots of semis on the road. In fact that is why I decided on the reflective tape. I have come up on semis that are poorly lit and do not like it. I want to be seen!

Top Bottom