• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Headlights Could Be Dangerous

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For those concerned; there is always the 'After Market':
SPY-MF-CHANNELZ-1.jpg

R80RTWoody

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I suspect the drivers foot will have a lot more influence on the air flow than the reflective strips I plan on using on my Elio. I'm also using the tapes on the back of what I assume you are calling the faring. (Is the faring the same thing as fenders or spats or some of the other less polite names people who don't like them call them?)
My bad: Fairing (not faring)-An external (metal) structure fitted around parts of an aircraft, car, vessel, etc. to reduce drag.
Fender- A guard over each wheel of a motor vehicle, for example, that is shaped and positioned so as to block the splashing of water or mud.
So, I'de call P versions before P4 as having fenders and P4 as having fairings!
You might go to the 3M (Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing?) site or a dealer handling the 3M reflective tape and see if it's available in other than the black color. As a "Beaver", black and orange still looks like an outstanding color combination. Good luck!

Blueskybob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People often fail to realize that headlights are not only so you can see out but also so others can see you. During storms or during twilight hours headlights are very good safety devices that let other drivers see you earlier than they could otherwise.
I don't even want to get started on proper use of turn signals as that is a whole other can of worms. :rolleyes:
Nothing more stupid than a car with no headlights on in the rain. As most of you know when passing a 18 wheeler in the rain we will NOT see you in the blow from the tires.

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are many after market lights out today. For brake lights the Kisan "Tailblazar" gets my vote. It really gets drivers attention when braking and 100% legal.

The black reflective material would be ideal for the wheel fairings. I have it on the back of my bags on my ST1300. A little light really lights them up. Side marking lights will really pay off in making the Elio be noticed. Around Nashville, Metro Nashville unmarked cars have LED strips on the doors, makes a BIG difference in awareness.

I would be tempted to add light strips as running/turn/stop lights in the gap for the trunk lid. Being recessed would make them stand out in any lighting condition.

There are also some high output LED modules that could be added for driving lights. Speaking of lights, it appears to me that the hood integrated headlights are projector type hi/low units. This is very good since they typically give well defined patterns. In addition they should be readily upgradable with the correct HID kit. This will give 3x the light output with 1/3 the current draw. I've been doing this successfully for years on many types of vehicles.

All in all adding lights to make the Elio more visible and to enhance the light output is very doable for an affordable price.. Can't wait to pick mine up from the factory!!!!

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is a copy of an email I sent to Elio about headlight change on the P4...
Your request (11929) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.
To add additional comments, reply to this email.
71ae90c5c93253c4ec82afe59?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2Fframe_user.png

Montyemery
Mar 27 05:12
This is a follow-up to your previous request #8179 "Re: The Elio Vision Gains M..."
I am ok with the fender wheel change on the p 4 as it is an easy and hopefully inexpensive change..HOWEVER.. .. The headlights are a different story.. It's American made and basically a motorcycle so why the FOREIGN, SISSY, GAY LQQK..Take a a gander at the Jeep wrangler or Harley and just about any motorcycle .. Round would give it more appeal to most American buyers male and female..Jeez guys there are other markets for your product other than San Francisco and Scottsdale..
-----Original Message-----

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your request (11929) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff.
71ae90c5c93253c4ec82afe59?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2Fframe_user.png

Montyemery
This is a follow-up to your previous request #8179 "Re: The Elio Vision Gains M..."
I am ok with the fender wheel change on the p 4 as it is an easy and hopefully inexpensive change..HOWEVER.. .. The headlights are a different story.. It's American made and basically a motorcycle so why the FOREIGN, SISSY, GAY LQQK..Take a a gander at the Jeep wrangler or Harley and just about any motorcycle .. Round would give it more appeal to most American buyers male and female..Jeez guys there are other markets for your product other than San Francisco and Scottsdale..
Well Bubba(and "Bubba"is a term I call many of my friends so don't get your overalls in a knot), you certainly allowed your personal point of view to come through...I think that might not get the reaction you wanted, but that is ok, someone had a good laugh. Hell it might have even gotten forwarded.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
elio.jpg messer.jpg

Montyemery
Nothing about the Elio is an "American" look. Here's your round headlights.

Attachments

• morgan.jpg
    morgan.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: JNR

Ross Wagner

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Daytime running lights would be great
For the Elio. If only they would have passed that law a long time ago when it
First came up to vote on. It's only for people's safety.

Just like they should have made auto seat
Beats a long time ago for people's safety.

Top Bottom