• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Headlights Could Be Dangerous

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Daytime running lights would be great
For the Elio. If only they would have passed that law a long time ago when it
First came up to vote on. It's only for people's safety.

Just like they should have made auto seat
Beats a long time ago for people's safety.

Regulations are for the protection of idiots, that’s why there are so many around today. I just posted this on a different thread.

I remember my day drilling the holes and putting the belts in our 62 Comet Station wagon in 64 before it was the law. It became law in 68.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More relevant to the thread. This is a paragraph from the Fastcoexist article. It seems that they are building the Elio to which ever is more stringent between the requirements for cars and motorcycles. Hmmm, very interesting.

Here is the paragraph:

Even though regulations don’t require it, the company plans to comply with all standards for cars that apply. “We’re engineering to achieve a 5-star crash rating in all directions,” Elio says. “We’re going way beyond the minimum.” Still, there are a few idiosyncrasies--the headlights, for example, can’t comply with car standards because motorcycle lights are required to be brighter by law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More relevant to the thread. This is a paragraph from the Fastcoexist article. It seems that they are building the Elio to which ever is more stringent between the requirements for cars and motorcycles. Hmmm, very interesting.

Here is the paragraph:

Even though regulations don’t require it, the company plans to comply with all standards for cars that apply. “We’re engineering to achieve New to me.. a 5-star crash rating in all directions,” Elio says. “We’re going way beyond the minimum.” Still, there are a few idiosyncrasies--the headlights, for example, can’t comply with car standards because motorcycle lights are required to be brighter by law.

Here is the paragraph:

Even though regulations don’t require it, the company plans to comply with all standards for cars that apply. “We’re engineering to achieve a 5-star crash rating in all directions,” Elio says. “We’re going way beyond the minimum.” Still, there are a few idiosyncrasies--the headlights, for example, can’t comply with car standards because motorcycle lights are required to be brighter by law.

News to me, the only complaint I have about my Harley is the head-light is not very bright..

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
News to me, the only complaint I have about my Harley is the head-light is not very bright..
Maybe the headlight is bright, but just not aimed correctly. Anytime I had a passenger my headlight appeared really dim, but it was just pointing too high because of the extra weight on the back of the bike.

3 Card

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the headlight is bright, but just not aimed correctly. Anytime I had a passenger my headlight appeared really dim, but it was just pointing too high because of the extra weight on the back of the bike.

I've been riding a long time guy..But thanks

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ok, read through 4 pages of remarks that started with the remark that the lights were two close together. I immediately had two thoughts come to mind. 1) Jeeps. 2) Saturn cars. Both have their headlights fairly close, but I never read anything that said their safety was any worse than others. Not sure why some think the closeness of headlights have anything to do with safety. Would one see a motorcycle at 100 yards away and have a different sense of distance than a car at the same distance? Maybe I'm different, but a light at 100 yards is a light at 100 yards regardless of the source.

I then read about daytime running lights. I notice that new cars don't have them as much, and stats have not shown them to be any safer than those without them. One note, and just my observations. Many people with daytime running lights don't switch their headlights on in the rain/fog/dusk. Thats ok for the front, but their is no lights on the rear, and makes it dangerous for those not paying attention behind them.

I truly believe that all these additions to cars are making drivers worse. Drivers are beginning to be more dependent upon technology instead of good driving habits and paying attention to what's around you. We look to a monitor/camera instead of looking outside the car. We wait for beeps instead of knowing the distance of things around us. We wait for a blind-spot-monitor to blink at us if a cars there instead of turning our head or leaning forward while looking in the mirror to clear the blind spot. We have cars that park themselves. Don't get me wrong. Some of these are cool, but newer drivers have grown up depending on them and won't know how to drive without them if something breaks etc.....

Anyway good reading, there's a lot of good info out there, and we have some very intelligent folks on this forum from some of the mathematical computations and other info that I've read.

PS: Not related to the Elio, but saw God's Not Dead at the movies this weekend, and it was great.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been looking at the front fenders wondering if I could install little forward facing LED running rights in them. I would likely keep them on at all times for safety.
IIRC, there's a requirement there must be some type of 'marker' light or the headlamp itself within a certain maximum distance from the 'outside' edge of the left and right sides of the frontal profile of the vehicle. Perhaps the production version of the wheel pants will have integrated marker/running lights.

Top Bottom