• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Here And Wondering About Backing Up

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Hi all. Wanna be an Elio owner here in Central TX, for sure!

One thing I have been wondering, well more than one, but I digress. I have not seen any reports on how the Elio is to back up. Is it any different with just the one back wheel? I realize there is no rear view mirror, duh!, and the o/s mirrors look small.

Thanks in advance, and more questions to follow...

Hey KD,

There have been statements that the production mirrors will be bigger than they are on the P4, we'll hope they are bigger on the P5. For your "duh!" on the lack of a rear view mirror, you'd be surprised at how many people wonder how there is no rear-view mirror.

For my 4-door sedan, I've noticed that I can adjust my side-view mirrors to see just about everything behind me. For blind spots, you just turn quickly and look.

There are so many things about a car that our mind is trained to see and have, and if it's not there, some of us can't grasp it.

No rear-view mirror? How do you see behind you?
Only one seat up front? Where does a passenger sit?
It's not 2 1/2 people wide? How tiny is that thing?
Vehicle doesn't weigh 1.5 tons? How can it be safe?
Trunk space is small? Where will I put all my stuff?

As George Carlin said... you buy a house, so you can put all your stuff in it. Then you get more stuff, so you move into a BIGGER house to hold more of your STUFF. :caked:

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi all. Wanna be an Elio owner here in Central TX, for sure!

One thing I have been wondering, well more than one, but I digress. I have not seen any reports on how the Elio is to back up. Is it any different with just the one back wheel? I realize there is no rear view mirror, duh!, and the o/s mirrors look small.

Thanks in advance, and more questions to follow...
A rear view mirror directly in front of the driver would only show his own face. You wouldn't be able to lean over far enough to make one work. That is pretty much the same reason there is no rear window. You just can't see out of it. The Elio seemed like it's be easy enough to maneuver without needing a rear view camera though. I think it'd just be unnecessary. Some people like the reassurance of having it and since it is a requirement of all cars (not the Elio though... yet), I'd be surprised if Paul didn't at least make it simple to add one of they don't offer one as an option.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a really simple cure for the "seeing directly behind you" problem; just like so many new SUV's and Mini Vans, put a power rear hatch on the Elio. If it's raining, make it so it only opens part way, enough to see out of.
Problem solved. :thumb:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A rear view mirror directly in front of the driver would only show his own face. You wouldn't be able to lean over far enough to make one work. That is pretty much the same reason there is no rear window. You just can't see out of it. The Elio seemed like it's be easy enough to maneuver without needing a rear view camera though. I think it'd just be unnecessary. Some people like the reassurance of having it and since it is a requirement of all cars (not the Elio though... yet), I'd be surprised if Paul didn't at least make it simple to add one of they don't offer one as an option.
So far there are two camera set-ups, one with the Skyzmatic, and the other shown on the options page of the EM website (don't know if it's still there) for a separate, less-expensive rear view camera. Adding one should not be a big deal; there are plenty of power pick-up points (I think there's one about every 4 inches or so), and aftermarket backup cameras are cheap. Just don't wire it into the reversing lamps, so it stay on whenever the ignition is on.

I definitely want one.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
So far there are two camera set-ups, one with the Skyzmatic, and the other shown on the options page of the EM website (don't know if it's still there) for a separate, less-expensive rear view camera. Adding one should not be a big deal; there are plenty of power pick-up points (I think there's one about every 4 inches or so), and aftermarket backup cameras are cheap. Just don't wire it into the reversing lamps, so it stay on whenever the ignition is on.
I definitely want one.
An aftermarket rear view camera will run you about $50
Here's the Monitor I used $19.90
And the Camera $17.99
The newer model of the Camera (It's "swoopier") $44.99 Both the older camera and the newer version are by E-Sky (Hey, "Put an Esky in your Elio) :thumb:

And so I didn't have to run wires from the tailgate to the dash I used a WiFi setup $10.24
You probably wouldn't want it in the Elio; it works ok, but I wouldn't recommend using it full time; the picture can flake out at times from interference for a number of different things.

It works great for me; I've had it in for 8 months and it's been flawless. The night vision while not great it's very acceptable.
For $50 you couldn't ask for more.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback here. My original intent was more in line with is it any different backing up with 1 wheel versus 2? Is the turning radius tighter backing up with 1 wheel?

I'm thinking no cameras for me. Until after I back into something or scrape the front end!

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback here. My original intent was more in line with is it any different backing up with 1 wheel versus 2? Is the turning radius tighter backing up with 1 wheel?

I'm thinking no cameras for me. Until after I back into something or scrape the front end!
No, it will back just like a 4 Wheeler of similar wheelbase. One advantage will be that it will be easier to keep the narrow body inside a parking space when parallel parking.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If you have done motorcycling (no rear camera), you'll have no problem absent on the Elio, I've, as many others sat in the P4 and for me it's natural. One thing that isn't, and I hope to reduce un-needed explanation, is to purchase the rear louvered plastic accessory which gives the appearance that there is a rear window! We'll all know better, when we TEST DRIVE one!!!!

Top Bottom