• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

NEW .... Interview with Paul Elio

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Part 2

Trouble down south​

Elio plans to manufacture its vehicles in Shreveport, Louisiana at a factory previously occupied by General Motors.

In 2013 Elio Motors got a $23 million loan from RACER Trust, a group organized to redevelop old GM properties, to purchase manufacturing equipment at the plant. The real property was then purchased by Stuart Lichter, a real estate mogul that founded Los Angeles-based Industrial Realty Group LLC in 1974. Lichter sits on the Elio Motors board.

Stuart Lichter is the president and founder of Industrial Realty Group LLC in Los Angeles. Enlarge
Stuart Lichter is the president and founder of Industrial Realty Group LLC in Los Angeles.
INDUSTRIAL REALTY GROUP
Lichter, through a subsidiary called Shreveport Business Park LLC, leases several hundred thousand square feet of the plant to Elio, and though the company is not making cars there yet, it stores about $11.9 million worth of manufacturing equipment on site.

Elios Motors made a splash in Shreveport as it sold its vision of revitalizing the old plant, most recently by saying production would start there in 2019.

However, the Arizona company also caught the attention of regulators, and in 2017 the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission determined that Elio Motors was operating as a manufacturer and dealer without the proper licensing, a claim the company contests.

Elio Motors was fined $545,000 for violating state licensing laws and in order to appeal the ruling the company had to move $76,500 into a trust account; Elio appealed the fine to the Louisiana’s Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled in favor of the LMVC in March 2019 by affirming the findings that the company violated the state law. Elio Motors reported related legal expenses of more than $2.7 million for the years 2019 and 2020.

When asked if the company had paid the fine, Paul Elio simply said, “We are trying to have a dialogue with them.” SEC filings said the company is in active settlement discussions.

Promises made​

What's more, the company is locked into promises it made years ago assuming it would be selling cars by now. In 2013, as part of its purchase agreement to buy manufacturing equipment from RACER Trust, Elio Motors agreed to create 1,500 jobs in Shreveport.

Elio Motors, known for its three-wheeled vehicles, went public in February 2016. The company raised nearly $17 million in funding using the StartEngine Crowdfunding platform made possible under Title IV of the 2012 Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act.
Enlarge

Elio Motors, known for its three-wheeled vehicles, went public in February 2016. The company raised nearly $17 million in funding using the StartEngine Crowdfunding platform made possible under Title IV of the 2012 Jumpstart Our Business Startups (JOBS) Act.
COURTESY OF ELIO MOTORS
Elio agreed that if it had not created 1,500 new jobs by February 2016, it would pay RACER $5,000 for each full-time job below the required number. RACER Trust has amended and extended this deadline several times, but Elio Motors still reports racking up $7.5 million in related expenses through December 2020.

The company has also reported secured loans worth more than $27 million, with the manufacturing equipment in Louisiana on the line as collateral. Elio Motors had an accumulated deficit of $215.8 million in December 2020 and a working capital deficit exceeding $104 million, according to the company's 2020 annual report.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Part 3

Vehicle reservations

Elio Motors has received 65,000 vehicle reservations over the years, the vast majority of which were nonrefundable. The company told the SEC that it had previously brought in $26.9 million of nonrefundable deposits as of 2020 and another $1.1 million in refundable deposits.

Robert Martin in Nashville put down a $1,000 nonrefundable reservation around 2014, which was the maximum deposit amount. He described himself as a car enthusiast and said he'd still like to own an Elio one day, but he'd like better communication from the company.

"I would love to hear something from him," he said of Paul Elio. "Just a status update, give us something, you know? Create some sort of Twitter account or social media and start providing us with some sort of hope."

A file photo of Paul Elio, founder and CEO of Elio Motors in the trunk of one of his vehicles. Enlarge
A file photo of Paul Elio, founder and CEO of Elio Motors in the trunk of one of his vehicles.
ELIO MOTORS
More than 57,000 reservation holders were also able to lock in promotional pricing of either $7,300 or $7,000 per vehicle, according to the company's SEC filings, which would be good news for them if they still want to drive an Elio that is now slated to sell for about $15,000.

Elio said the reservations are transferable to the electric Elio, but the company will have to assess demand for the gasoline version and decide how to handle the reservation holders that don't want an EV.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Part 4 (and final)

Hope springs eternal​

Elio has maintained a positive attitude, despite the setbacks.

“Fortunately, there are way more people who are believers than are naysayers,” he said in an interview just ahead of the EV announcement. “I still get kind emails cheering us on.”

Elio said he has made numerous sacrifices over the years to try to bring his vehicle to life. He’s missed milestones in his kids' lives, spent countless hours trying to make the company work and claims he’s put $5 million of his own money into the company.

The company was built on a vision of sustainability and greater access for people at all income levels, a selling point that still rings in the minds of people that made Elio reservations years ago. There's still a devoted group of Elio hopefuls holding out hope that they may one day see this vehicle in their driveway.

ElioOwners.com, a web forum dedicated to fans of the car, lit up with new comments in the past week after the company sent out an email to reservation holders about the plan to go electric. The announcement was met with confusion, excitement, anger and plenty of skepticism.

“If you read through all that, it doesn't look good,” one commenter said of the new SEC filings. “It will take a miracle for Elio Motors to come to market with a mass produced vehicle.”

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is my translation.. JMHO (Just My Humble Opinion)

but in an interview with the Business Journal, Elio said that bringing a gasoline powered car to market in 2021 is not realistic.
i.ie. A gas powered car isn't a good move for Elio right now. Just a double down to say this "EV 1st" plan is the best plan. And they are not canceling the original product, just putting the EV first.

Instead, the company now says it will utilize the existing design from the gasoline model and outfit the vehicle to run on an electric battery.
Mostly the same car (visibly), just reconfigured for EV drive. Which only commits to the idea of visibly the same platform.

the company said it plans to raise capital through debt and equity placements until it reaches commercialization
Loans based on company abuility to re-pay and collateral. i.e. borrowing for now. (OK? From whom? or what kind of whom?)

Elio would not say the exact amount of money the company needs to raise before it can begin production, but he said it would be hundreds of millions. The company, which had just two full-time employees at the end of 2020, brought in a Paycheck Protection Program loan worth $110,000 in April 2020, records from the Small Business Administration show.
Just guess; From the past, $300mil or more, and the current money owed on top of that.

When asked if the company had paid the fine, Paul Elio simply said, “We are trying to have a dialogue with them.” SEC filings said the company is in active settlement discussions.
i.e. tollerate us and don't push us into bankruptcy, and we will try and honor the debt. Otherwise you loose all of that.

Elio Motors had an accumulated deficit of $215.8 million in December 2020 and a working capital deficit exceeding $104 million
They owe a lot of money and have nothing in current bank accounts to continue. So they need more for each new step they take (if any).

Elio said the reservations are transferable to the electric Elio, but the company will have to assess demand for the gasoline version and decide how to handle the reservation holders that don't want an EV.
They need to sell EV's to anyone to move forward. They are counting on some reservationists to convert to the EV.

“Fortunately, there are way more people who are believers than are naysayers,” he said in an interview just ahead of the EV announcement. “I still get kind emails cheering us on.”
We still have social stock that will work for us.

Elio said he has made numerous sacrifices over the years to try to bring his vehicle to life. He’s missed milestones in his kids' lives, spent countless hours trying to make the company work and claims he’s put $5 million of his own money into the company.
It's been tuff, and I'm not secreting away cash to my personal stash.

ElioOwners.com, a web forum dedicated to fans of the car, lit up with new comments in the past week after the company sent out an email to reservation holders about the plan to go electric. The announcement was met with confusion, excitement, anger and plenty of skepticism.
“If you read through all that, it doesn't look good,” one commenter said of the new SEC filings. “It will take a miracle for Elio Motors to come to market with a mass produced vehicle.”
It will take both a miracle and a lot of hard work.

(Edited: I do believe in miracles, but I don't limit what that(those) miracle(s) could be. - Arak)
also....by-the-way...., part 4 above seems to be referring to this very same thread(Elio Email). Go-Figure! - lol
--Wait a sec! ... Phoenix Biz Journal? and I live in the Phoenix area?, so does PE? ... K, I'm IN the matrix now!

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone else get private message from bagra937 to rate her naked photos?

The moderators are getting about twelve or more of these spammers each day, I'm told. He/they will squish it very quickly.
In both cases just use your 'report' link found on both posts and private messages.

These are click-bate to take over your computer in many cases. Nigerians, Russians and others in the out-back where the internet exists are making this their primary method of prosperity. Once they get dependent on it, and the tech-world figures out how to squish it... well Karma is a Bitch.....with teeth.

Also, check out scam-bating on youtube.

Last edited:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Well your close, he been here under 7 different names, got banned each time, the last one was he's asked if you want to set up a link to his site.
And he does charge to vote on the pictures he posts. We keep trying to keep him out for good. If you do get sent a link, don't open it, and don't encourage him to post, just tell us, we'll take care of it.
AriLea is correct with what he said. (Thanks Ari)

Top Bottom