• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Nickname

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you
I just tried that and, of course, it works on this site! Thank you. (not that I need to do that, but I like knowing stuff)[/quote]
I'm sure you are familiar with the <CTL>X - cut <CTL>C - copy and <CTL>V - paste but do you know <alt>171 - ½ and <alt>172 - ¼ handy when space is limited

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The <alt>'s don't work for me. I knew the others. I always prefer keyboard shortcuts to having to grab the mouse - especially for cut and paste... italics, bold, underline, etc.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The <alt>'s don't work for me. I knew the others. I always prefer keyboard shortcuts to having to grab the mouse - especially for cut and paste... italics, bold, underline, etc.
I should have added that they work with most but not all fonts. It is really a font issue. You have to hold the <ALT> key down through all three numerical keystrokes. Hold the <alt> down while pressing 171 then release alt.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a real problem with the modern construct for naming various models with letters and numbers. First they're difficult to remember, and if they are related to something like engine displacement, they change frequently. There were times when car models were named for exotic places, like Biscayne, Monterrey, or Malibu, then there were the animal names, Mustang, Marlin, Tiger, Colt, even Rabbit. Most evoked power or adventure, but what the heck is a 303, a 545, or a C300? Maybe they generate about as much excitement as an accountant can handle, but they're not for me.

OK, they don't run into trouble when translated into other languages, but that's a poor excuse. There's an urban legend that says the Chevy Nova didn't sell well South of the border because its name, in Spanish, means "It doesn't go." You gotta wonder what Camaro and LaCrosse might mean (I looked, you don't want to know). Exxon it seems was named by a computer that found the name to be totally meaningless in all known languages. That's a cop-out.

Paul Elio, in naming his creation, follows in the footsteps of Henry Ford, Louis Chevrolet, Walter P. Chrysler, and the Dodge brothers. I think that's appropriate. When a man puts his name on a product, you have to admit he's seriously involved.

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a real problem with the modern construct for naming various models with letters and numbers. First they're difficult to remember, and if they are related to something like engine displacement, they change frequently. There were times when car models were named for exotic places, like Biscayne, Monterrey, or Malibu, then there were the animal names, Mustang, Marlin, Tiger, Colt, even Rabbit. Most evoked power or adventure, but what the heck is a 303, a 545, or a C300? Maybe they generate about as much excitement as an accountant can handle, but they're not for me.

Paul Elio, in naming his creation, follows in the footsteps of Henry Ford, Louis Chevrolet, Walter P. Chrysler, and the Dodge brothers. I think that's appropriate. When a man puts his name on a product, you have to admit he's seriously involved.
I agree. I work in traffic control. When doing one-lane roads with radios, your entire day is pretty much announcing your last car, usually with color, make, model (like "blue Ford Escape"). A name, even a made up name (what the heck is an "FJ Cruiser?") is a lot easier and quicker to say than a random string of numbers, and that's doubly true if you don't recognize the model and have to read it off the back as it's passing you! There have been cases where a car like a Mercedes ML350 is already through the closure by the time I've read that off the rear end and called it out over the radio!

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I work in traffic control. When doing one-lane roads with radios, your entire day is pretty much announcing your last car, usually with color, make, model (like "blue Ford Escape"). A name, even a made up name (what the heck is an "FJ Cruiser?") is a lot easier and quicker to say than a random string of numbers, and that's doubly true if you don't recognize the model and have to read it off the back as it's passing you! There have been cases where a car like a Mercedes ML350 is already through the closure by the time I've read that off the rear end and called it out over the radio!
Get a paint gun and pop the back of the last vehicle.:rolleyes:
Just kidding.:D

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Get a paint gun and pop the back of the last vehicle.:rolleyes:
Just kidding.:D
I've heard that one more than a few times. When radio batteries die and we can't maintain line of site, things can get pretty interesting. So if a flagger ever asks you to give a traffic cone to the next flagger, you know what's going on.

Top Bottom