• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Carpet? Really?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK so originally this was going to be titled "Too Many Options" having just read the latest Elio "Yes, More Elio Accessories" email because I'm thinking they've got too many options now and its just becoming silly (removable radio? who's brilliant idea was that?).

Yes I know the pullout radio isn't "new" but I think its stupid just the same. I think the HUD could be the device I want as it says it connects to smartphones for GPS which is sweet, seems a much better option than that ridiculous and overpriced Skyz system.

So to get to the point as I played with the configurator I got down to Interior and saw under Carpeting "No Carpet" is the default option? Really? Did I miss something all this time? $7K and I don't get a carpet? What, does Elio think this is an old Jeep or something?

Somebody help me, please.
Order the carpet for $78 and all is well. Is $7,078 really a breaking point for you?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wasn't that many years ago cars never came with carpet, just a rubber mat covering the floor. Carpets hold water, attract dirt and mud, hold leaves, is a PITA to clean, where as a rubber mat wipes clean. If you want carpet, buy a piece of remnant from Lowe's or Home Depot for $10 and put it in.
Oh no! I just had visions of SHAG carpet!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But that's just it, the factory won't know those details. The factory is solely focused on producing basically identical Elios, that then get shipped to marshalling centers to await a buyer. For the most part, when a buyer makes an order at one of the Elio stores, the actual vehicle they get was built long before they ordered it. This is to facilitate EMs goal of a 24-hour turn around on most orders.

Even for the Reservation buyers, the factory will just produce generic machines that will then have the options installed at a marshalling center located within the factory (presumably to help them develop a "best practices" guide book for future marshalling centers).

It may seem inefficient to remove something that you just put in, but saving the customization for later helps the factory produce at a higher speed/volume, which in-turn allows them to lower the base price of the vehicle.
I can see the factory producing Elios WITHOUT seats OR carpet and just shipping the bare cars to the marshaling centers which will have the seats and carpets on-hand. Easy Peasy.

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Order the carpet for $78 and all is well. Is $7,078 really a breaking point for you?

It was never about the money, just couldn't believe in 2016/17 a vehicle was going to be produced without a carpet, thats all. I'm gonna go with black, by the way, unless they have actual swatches at the showrooms to check out ahead of time. Then, who knows? Maybe something will compliment the interior better.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
What I had a hard time figuring out was the interior pieces.
I'm getting the Licorice; so they show "color coordinated" interior; in this case wouldn't that be black?
(This is where you choose Carbon Fiber/Woodgrain/metal/Black)
So why do they offer Black for $145.00? If I click it, it just turns a darker black

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What I had a hard time figuring out was the interior pieces.
I'm getting the Licorice; so they show "color coordinated" interior; in this case wouldn't that be black?
(This is where you choose Carbon Fiber/Woodgrain/metal/Black)
So why do they offer Black for $145.00? If I click it, it just turns a darker black

I think the standard will be deep-charcoal, textured plastic panels. So the "color matching" for Licorice would be smooth black panels that subtly contrast the textured charcoal panels.

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
i find it really frustrating matching colors, the colors blocks are tiny and many look the same to us color blind folks. They need a better way

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the standard will be deep-charcoal, textured plastic panels. So the "color matching" for Licorice would be smooth black panels that subtly contrast the textured charcoal panels.
Sounds reasonable; so then the question becomes, are those the panels they cover? Or do they have just a fixed surface, and when you add "color" do they have a panel that snaps over those areas?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
i find it really frustrating matching colors, the colors blocks are tiny and many look the same to us color blind folks. They need a better way
I'm sure they'll have a better sampling system in the Retail Stores.
The Configurator that we're using now is a "Beta" more or less; they stated when it first came out that they would be making changes to it multiple times before it ever goes into actual use.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure they'll have a better sampling system in the Retail Stores.
The Configurator that we're using now is a "Beta" more or less; they stated when it first came out that they would be making changes to it multiple times before it ever goes into actual use.
I don't think you'll ever get the full and accurate picture of what the options will look like based on the online Configurator. I think its best use is for customers to use it to see what's available and price the total package they're interested in. But the customers would then need to go to an actual retail center to see what the colors, carpeting, spoilers, racks, etc. look like before placing the actual order. At least that's what I would do. Who buys a new vehicle and orders options for it sight unseen?

Top Bottom