• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Carpet? Really?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At the point where people are willing to pay more for a higher base price. Unfortunately Elio quoted such a low base MSRP for so many years that people thought it was an actual locked in price. So when they did actually announce a price they had to do what they could to get as close to it as possible. $50 here, $20 there adds up.

That reminds me, I remember them saying years ago the windshield washer system was just a cap and tube designed to fit on regular gallon jugs that the fluid is sold in. Do we know if that is still the case?
It doesn't appear to be the case. The E1a has a real washer fluid reservoir and not a bottle and cap type of setup... thank goodness.

EDIT: I erred in calling the coolant reservoir the washer fluid tank... So, I asked my wife and she confirmed... I'm not perfect. Actually, she didn't hesitate very much. She also told me a lot of other things I do wrong. I didn't ask. Jeez...

fluid reservoir.jpg

Last edited:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No offense taken.
It's a different world.
Do you think I could get my Elio upholstered in Axis hide?
Axis-Deer.jpg

The meat is great and the hides are real pretty.
Best part is I can take them on my ranch.
Knowing that I may have to have a return visit with and bring my rifle.......Jim

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see a radiator cap. Could the large reservoir in the lower right be for coolant, or has it been confirmed for windshield washer fluid?
Here's a pic during the P5's construction clearly showing a radiator cap as well as an overflow tube. This indicates the overflow tank is somewhere on the left side of the engine bay (viewing the front of the vehicle), and perhaps it's obscured by the headlight housing or left fender.
image.jpeg

Note: Didn't see Ty's follow up on the tank in question being tied into the radiator hose.

GiantDriver

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Agreed, I would be happy to wait an extra day to allow the paint to dry, so to speak.
I think ELIO said they would call/email three weeks prior to delivery to confirm build and options. So they've got my build sheet and a huge factory and as my Elio moves down the assembly line it gets carpet just before seats. It's that how the big three do it?

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you went out today and bought a 2016 Kawasaki KLR650 the MSRP would be $6600. You would get 1 less wheel, 2 fewer pistons, 52 mpg, and no carpet*. If Elio pulls this off for $7300 it's a steal. I, for one, will get carpet primary for its sound deadening characteristics.

*I'm not knocking the KLR650. I have a 2008 (essentially the same as a 2016) and I love the thing for its brick-sh__house simplicity.
:rolleyes: My Elio friend , I am thinking the tangent is carpet color. With all the different color carpets that may inflate the cost of simple carpet and the tracking labor for assembly. Somehow I ponder if that is what makes simple carpet more costly above their cuts of being standard or an option. Good luck in your search for answers my Elio friend :D I do like carpet being fitted by Elio for a sound deadening barrier also, plus the usual comfort, fit and polish look.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pic during the P5's construction clearly showing a radiator cap as well as an overflow tube. This indicates the overflow tank is somewhere on the left side of the engine bay (viewing the front of the vehicle), and perhaps it's obscured by the headlight housing or left fender.
View attachment 11319

Note: Didn't see Ty's follow up on the tank in question being tied into the radiator hose.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SILICONE RADIATOR HOSES FOR AN OPTION. :D Yes , how much? Receive my Elio with installed silicone hoses, for radiator, heater core and water pump. Silicone, years of trouble free driving :D

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Curses... You are correct. The big white container in the lower right is for coolant. It's plumbed right into the radiator hose...

He may have misspoken but Neal did refer to that container as the windshield washer tank. (Or I could be wrong.:()

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
He may have misspoken but Neal did refer to that container as the windshield washer tank. (Or I could be wrong.:()

The orange color looks like extended life coolant, and the mention of kPa and psi on the cap make me think coolant. My Miata has no cap on the radiator and a plastic remote coolant reservoir that holds pressure too.

la-show-thurs-001.jpg

This picture shows the orange color I was talking about:
[Broken External Image]

Top Bottom