• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have two cars and one has a backup camera. It is a really great OPTION but it is not a necessity. For those who want one go for it as an aftermarket product. The more we add to the basic Elio the more it costs and the longer it will be before production begins. I'm certain that there will be many upgrades to the second generation Elio's. Lets get the first generation produced, learn what can be improved and incorporate them in the following year production model.
Exactly. That's what model year changes are for. Get the critical problems solved before starting production, then follow up with small annual changes or options as time goes on. VW made this work to their advantage very well - until 1962 the bug didn't even have a gas gauge, relying as most motorcycles did, on a "reserve" tank. This being too complex for many owners to deal with, they added a fuel gauge with the model year change.

There are several DIY kits available now to add a backup camera to your current ride. (IMHO the lesser of these aren't worth the cost.)

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you have a passenger or something large in the trunk you may not be able to use the inside mirror.:(
elio rear view.jpg

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I notice, there is a flat area on the back of the wheel shroud. I'm thinking that might be a good place to mount additional mirrors. Because they would turn with the wheels, as you're backing up, you would be "panning" the whole area behind you.

I was thinking that's where you'd want to mount mirrors for those wanting to tow a small trailer.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really like that idea, until I thought about it and tried a simulation using the reflective screen of my phone. Try it.

I found the mirror pans the wrong way for backing . . . as you turn the wheel, the mirror's image shows you more of the side of your car, rather than where you're heading.

Maybe that would be a good spot for mounting a convex mirror that would give you a better view of what's going on around you. :)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really like that idea, until I thought about it and tried a simulation using the reflective screen of my phone. Try it.

I found the mirror pans the wrong way for backing . . . as you turn the wheel, the mirror's image shows you more of the side of your car, rather than where you're heading.

Maybe that would be a good spot for mounting a convex mirror that would give you a better view of what's going on around you. :)

Not much different than backing up on a motorcycle, where the mirrors are on the handlebars, except less exaggerated on the Elio.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This thread should be retitled "No rear window required".

After all, that's where I plan to install my California top.

BUT, you guys have given me a good idea: if these backup cameras are so cheap and even have infrared, why not face them forward, to improve foul-weather and low-visibility driving (night, fog, heavy rain, etcetera)?

That would be cool.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This thread should be retitled "No rear window required".

After all, that's where I plan to install my California top.

BUT, you guys have given me a good idea: if these backup cameras are so cheap and even have infrared, why not face them forward, to improve foul-weather and low-visibility driving (night, fog, heavy rain, etcetera)?

That would be cool.

Yes, It seems like some high end cars have "heads up display" with "IR"...Cadillac maybe?...anyway, above my pay grade. :D

Top Bottom