• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Obd2 Or Other Engine Diagnostics, Anyone Have An Idea?

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio said that the car would support at least minimal OBDII standards. I take that to mean there will be a port within 2 feet of the steering column. Amazon.com sells the ELM327 for just under $12 (free shipping) and it is bluetooth. The "Torque" app by Ian Hawkin is a great Android based app that lets you use your cell phone to monitor all kinds of crap about the car.

Minimal OBD support means they will comply with the diagnostic standards, which only requires manufacturers to use pre-designated "P-series" codes for powertrain components whose failure can negatively impact emissions compliance.

Let's hope they choose to use Chevy or Suzuki coding, it'll make using our own devices easier. I have a Scangauge II device, and I'd love to use Torque app, too.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Minimal OBD support means they will comply with the diagnostic standards, which only requires manufacturers to use pre-designated "P-series" codes for powertrain components whose failure can negatively impact emissions compliance.

Let's hope they choose to use Chevy or Suzuki coding, it'll make using our own devices easier. I have a Scangauge II device, and I'd love to use Torque app, too.
Torque is excellent. I haven't looked into the differences but why just those two manufacturer's coding? Torque works well with Ford, too. You may just be saying that due t ovehicle preferences but if there is some kind of inherrent difference that makes those better, I'd like to know. I'm being serious, nothing more.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Torque is excellent. I haven't looked into the differences but why just those two manufacturer's coding? Torque works well with Ford, too. You may just be saying that due t ovehicle preferences but if there is some kind of inherrent difference that makes those better, I'd like to know. I'm being serious, nothing more.

Because the new engine is basically just a reverse-engineered Suzuki/Chevy engine. It never had to be OBD compliant, but there may be an OBD compliant version of it sold somewhere. I bet Horn knows.

To add: I think it would be best if they just piggybacked on an existing manufacturer's coding, because the Scangauges, other devices, and Torque app already work very well to get you advanced engine performance data way above and beyond simple emissions diagnostics.

Basically, if EM copies some manufacturer's OBD coding platform, that makes it exponentially easier to apply an ECM tune via the OBD port! Fun for tuners, good for consumers.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would but they aren't required to until the Federal Government classifies it as a car. But, Elio has stated that the car will have some OBDII support.

Yes sort of, even with a car there are things required and others optional. Remember the object of our desire has an automotive drive train the ABS would be there as well and will never be classified by the Federal Government as a car. Some states may let you operate one with a cars drivers license. That still does not make it a car. Some manufactures share all the data some do not. All they are required to give you is what the current laws require. Most motorcycles don't have a OBDII port. Access to the data stream varies by manufacturer there.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes sort of, even with a car there are things required and others optional. Remember the object of our desire has an automotive drive train the ABS would be there as well and will never be classified by the Federal Government as a car. Some states may let you operate one with a cars drivers license. That still does not make it a car. Some manufactures share all the data some do not. All they are required to give you is what the current laws require. Most motorcycles don't have a OBDII port. Access to the data stream varies by manufacturer there.
And that is what I was getting at. As a motorcycle, the Elio doesn't have to meat any car standards. However, it is my feeling that Elio wants to meet as many requirements as possible though they aren't constrained by them. OBDII being one of those.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It absolutely makes financial sense for EM to include as much of well-known OBDII-level support as possible. It expands their reach by making the car easily tuneable. And it also lets the average consumer know when the Elio is due for maintenance, at Pep Boys, of course.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it is still a bit early in the process for them to release full details about their OBD support as they are still in development mode so all they are saying now is that they will have at least limited OBD support which is not a big commitment. This being said IAV is very experienced in drivetrain development and I expect they will design the system to be as compatible as possible with current technology. It would make sense for them to have easy support for existing diagnostics tools especially taking advantage of existing infrastructure their service partners like Pep Boys already have in place.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe it is still a bit early in the process for them to release full details about their OBD support as they are still in development mode so all they are saying now is that they will have at least limited OBD support which is not a big commitment. This being said IAV is very experienced in drivetrain development and I expect they will design the system to be as compatible as possible with current technology. It would make sense for them to have easy support for existing diagnostics tools especially taking advantage of existing infrastructure their service partners like Pep Boys already have in place.

That would be great; I use a ScanGauge II on my current Honda Fit, and would love to have it's functionality on an Elio.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems the OBDI vs. OBDII issue is 'still up in the air'...... according to last week's Town Hall meeting; "
Q. OBD, Which version will be available: 1 or 2?
A. Doesn't know if a decision was made yet. " (from Mr. Paul Elio)

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems the OBDI vs. OBDII issue is 'still up in the air'...... according to last week's Town Hall meeting; "
Q. OBD, Which version will be available: 1 or 2?
A. Doesn't know if a decision was made yet. " (from Mr. Paul Elio)

OBDI vs OBDII is not an option that Elio has. "OBDII" is a reference to the government mandated emissions monitoring capability of the ECU. Elio can only be either OBD compliant(required for roadgoing CARS in the US) or not. The generation/version of OBD(I,II,E,G) will be whatever is current in the vehicle's market at the time of vehicle's release. If they choose to not be OBD compliant(relying on their 3 wheels status as a "non-car") they could be removed from many markets with a simple swipe of the legislative pen requiring new "non-cars" to meet new "cars" emissions compliance. While they have this leeway in the US market ATM they don't in the european market from what I have seen, so I'm making an educated guess and stating that they will aim to be GOBD(Global ODB) compliant upon release b/c it is the current standard.

Heres a decent explanation from Snap-on's scanner training booklet
"The OBD-I (On-Board Diagnostics I) system was introduced in the early 1980s and by 1988 all
new cars and light trucks sold in California had to have OBD-I. The fundamental elements of the
OBD-I are the electrical components (which influence exhaust emissions) that are monitored by
the engine management system. An optical warning signal is given in the event of an OBD-I
relevant failure. This fault can be read out by way of a flashing code.
OBD-II has been compulsory on all vehicles in the US market since January 1996. EOBD
(European On-Board Diagnostics) is the European equivalent to OBD-II. It was introduced in 2000
and became effective in January 2001. There are a few differences between EOBD and OBD-II
but none that will affect the generic scan tool operation. All the communication protocols for both
programs are identical. Vehicle emission strategies and certification procedures vary between
countries, states and regions. Always use the vehicle factory service information specific to the
country and emission certification."

Top Bottom