• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Oil Stripe In The Middle Of Lanes?

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I used to ride bikes years ago. When possible, I tried to ride to the left (or right) of the center of the lanes to avoid the oil stripe – especially when the road was wet. I wonder how much – if any, the oil stripe might affect the rear wheel's adhesion and tracking?

What are the thoughts about this? Any of you Can-Am riders or trike riders have experiences riding in wet weather on an oily lane?

Not worried….. just wondering….

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can put just one wheel of the Elio just to the side of that, and mostly miss it. But yes, what do any of the trike ridders out there have in experiences?
A search on google for 'can-am spyder oil slick rear wheel' has turned up for me, bascially no bad experiences associated to encountering an oil slick. All I find is questions about that, and the comment that a Spyder is safer than a motorcycle in such a situation, given the 3wheel platform and the rear traction control. Elio will have front traction control last I heard about it.
Whatever the Spyder has difficulty with toward rear traction, is likely less of a problem for the Elio where applied power is involved. The other differences are that the Elio is lighter at the rear, so if there is a lack of tire adherance, possibly there will be less inertial moment, and therefore better agility to follow into the turn.
Other than that, I'm not that sure. Anyone out there a tire traction control expert, with oversteer/understeer knowledge?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Go back 30 years the oil path was a big deal today no so much. Those of use that have ridden motorcycles for 40 plus years remember what it was like before PCV.
I definitely see this as being the truth. In general modern cars just don't leak fluids like they used to so this really is not much of an issue anymore. The center of lanes may still look different but this really has more to due with a different wear pattern as tires don't constantly run over the very center of the lane

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This really shouldn't be a problem for Elio drivers, as the rear wheel isn't the driven one. It's not applying power or even a major percentage of braking; just the stabilizing leg of a tripod that drags along behind the power unit (which is located in the same place in the lane as every other small economy FWD car). Unlike a bike, which is RWD and moves back & forth across the center of the lane often to get a better vantage point, the center lane section should not prove to be any real issue for the Elio.

Last edited:

ClubJoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since I have been driving a wide assortment of 3 wheel vehicles since I have been driving it is second nature to me. Once you see how much of the lane you can use I just put the rear wheel just to the side of the center path. This especially important at stop lights. What is also a danger is that all the gravel, screws and junk accumulates in the center of the lanes. Since all my vehicles have rear wheel drive instead of front my rear wheel will often spin a bit when I take off from lights. I have been lucky all these years and have not had a single flat tire because of it. You will get used to driving off center easily.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since I have been driving a wide assortment of 3 wheel vehicles since I have been driving it is second nature to me. Once you see how much of the lane you can use I just put the rear wheel just to the side of the center path. This especially important at stop lights. What is also a danger is that all the gravel, screws and junk accumulates in the center of the lanes. Since all my vehicles have rear wheel drive instead of front my rear wheel will often spin a bit when I take off from lights. I have been lucky all these years and have not had a single flat tire because of it. You will get used to driving off center easily.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL
Joe, your experience provides a valuable point of reference for many future Elio owners, Experienced motorcycle riders have fewer concerns about this but to the non-riders it may cause some concerns. Your posts are helpful in overcoming those fears. THANKS.

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Clubjoe, I'm guessing from your avatar that you have a Sparrow? I came VERY close to putting down cash on a Merlin Coupe back in 2004 (or was it 2005?) just a few days before the bankruptcy. I hope that your Sparrow experience has been one of the better ones!;)

Top Bottom