• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Open Window For Crowdfunding Purchace

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
40's????? Maybe at 3 in the morning; it's 52 here now with a light rain, been like that all day.
That's another reason I move to SW WA, the weather is very different and it's only 150 miles south of you.

Welcome to the Great Northwest, it's going to be like this until March or April; 40's at night, 50's during the day. Will get a LOT colder for 2 of 3 weeks, used to be the first few weeks of Jan. but after the year we've had, there's no telling when it will happen.
thanks, you make me feel sooooo much better. Yea I go out early, once around Green Lake (about 3 miles,) take off my muck lucks, and jump into a hot shower, turn-off the water while I lather up- no way.
I've been reprimanded twice for screwing up my (we called it garbage in FLA) recycling/trash cans. They are fixated on this stuff. They see No problem wasting water to rinse out cans, or that recycling anything other than aluminum and cardboard costs more than it saves. Still not sure where cat litter goes, so I hide it in my recycling bag (early in the morning- before my run and stash it under other stuff, -bought a shredder if someone tries to pin it on me, my name won't show up on any paperwork.
Another observation- spending most of my life in NYC -the town that never sleeps- Seattle rolls up the sidewalks about 10
well it's X:XXXVIII, time for my kale spritzer -night

Reactions: Ekh

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I lived in the NW for 4 years (11 if you count 7 in Spokane, but climate wise it's nothing like the west side of the state) and I really enjoyed my time there. Most people I know just can't understand how a person can possibly like that weather. It's just nice for some of us. Well, except for the occasional ice storm roaring through in January... You'll get used to it, maybe even like it. It's just so green and pleasant (as long as you get the precip you need), and the scent (except around paper mills, like Crown Z in Camas) that comes of that climate. Nothing like it here in Colorado, not that this is a terrible place to live. Just different.

Oh yeah, crowd funding, hmmm, I'm looking forward to investing. Gotta keep on topic!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
40's????? Maybe at 3 in the morning; it's 52 here now with a light rain, been like that all day.
That's another reason I move to SW WA, the weather is very different and it's only 150 miles south of you.

Welcome to the Great Northwest, it's going to be like this until March or April; 40's at night, 50's during the day. Will get a LOT colder for 2 of 3 weeks, used to be the first few weeks of Jan. but after the year we've had, there's no telling when it will happen.

You guys almost make me miss it over there. I never let Washington weather stop me. What kept others indoors, made it open season without crowds for me. Multilayer clothing, that's the secret.
But you know, It's almost perfectly timed that Washington weather is nice/bad opposite of Arizona. If I had the money, I'd gladly spend half-time in each state.
Perfect would be October 15th thru April 15th. Or in some years Oct1 thru Apr1. -topic-? What top.. Oh, OK.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks, you make me feel sooooo much better. Yea I go out early, once around Green Lake (about 3 miles,) take off my muck lucks, and jump into a hot shower, turn-off the water while I lather up- no way.
I've been reprimanded twice for screwing up my (we called it garbage in FLA) recycling/trash cans. They are fixated on this stuff. They see No problem wasting water to rinse out cans, or that recycling anything other than aluminum and cardboard costs more than it saves. Still not sure where cat litter goes, so I hide it in my recycling bag (early in the morning- before my run and stash it under other stuff, -bought a shredder if someone tries to pin it on me, my name won't show up on any paperwork.
Another observation- spending most of my life in NYC -the town that never sleeps- Seattle rolls up the sidewalks about 10
well it's X:XXXVIII, time for my kale spritzer -night
Cat litter goes in the garbage. We put it there twice a day, it's great for land fill, it's clay and natural fertilizer (land fills have to have those microbes you know, not enough of them, and the rest of the garbage doesn't decompose). Water is cheap up here, use all you want, the mountains will make more, same for electricity, mountain water comes down, spins the hydro in the dams, then they grab the downstream stuff for water supply. Majority of our power is hydro, balance is nukes. They have coal plants, but they haven't been used since the 40's. Why do you think aluminum smelters like the NW? Cheap electricity.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah yes, aluminum smelting! Spokane has Kaiser Aluminum, everyone there called it the Lazy K due to, ahem, "rumored" work ethic there. But you're right, cheap electricity makes it mighty appealing among a lot of other things whether east or west of the Cascades!

Yay Elio investing! (staying on topic)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The smelting is on topic, kind of; they say that China is flooding the market with cheap aluminum, so much so that the US is talking about closing all of it's smelters, they just can't make any money with what they would have to charge to be competitive. Bad sign for the automotive industry because of the amount of aluminum in cars and trucks. Ford is doing the all aluminum cab, and next year GM is going to the same; so the demand will be going up, and all of it (if the smelters close) will have to be imported. So here's an industry that has been around for a long time that might be gone in 10 years.
What is this going to do for prices? Not a good time to invest in the Lazy K.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, we are energy-dependent, world-wide. But fossil fuels are killing the planet. So, gee, what to do? Even when solutions are obvious, you can't get the status quo to shift. The House has put together a committee with the specific job of debunking the climate change myth; meanwhile, we're in a mass extinction, facing floods, rising sea levels, droughts (especially in India / Pakistan, where they have nukes to fight over scant water supplies), a 25% drop off in marine animal life (all sorts, monitored in over 5,000 locations) in the past 20 years.

The oil companies knew about climate change and its consequences in 1976. They lied about their research for 20 years or more, and still like to spread bullshit like "clean coal" around.

I'm too old to keep fighting for sane behavior regarding our planet. But ... no one else seems willing to take it on. There are solutions, some technical, some behavioral. But where's the human energy to make needed changes happen?

The Elio is a useful bridge that can help on a significant, if minor, scale. One reason I love the thing. But as for the rest ... I'm depressed beyond measure.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Certainly not! Like Ekh says, the Elio is one small step that could make a difference larger than it seems like such a small company should be able to effect. Those that are buying it just cuz it's a cool toy, let's welcome them and then break the news that they are significantly helping the environment by cutting fuel usage and the raw materials needed to build a "regular" car. We're doing good without even trying!

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
:cool2::focus:
The smelting is on topic, kind of; they say that China is flooding the market with cheap aluminum, so much so that the US is talking about closing all of it's smelters, they just can't make any money with what they would have to charge to be competitive. Bad sign for the automotive industry because of the amount of aluminum in cars and trucks. Ford is doing the all aluminum cab, and next year GM is going to the same; so the demand will be going up, and all of it (if the smelters close) will have to be imported. So here's an industry that has been around for a long time that might be gone in 10 years.
What is this going to do for prices? Not a good time to invest in the Lazy K.

My company makes aluminum items (shelving, carts, racks, dollies, security fence), and we order the aluminum billet from a place in Missouri. We use nearly 4 million lbs every year, we have an extrusion press so we heat up the billet and push it through the desired die and make 95% of our own components.

We feel strongly about being American made, so we'll definitely fight every impulse to buy our aluminum from outside the U.S. Let's just say, China is the last place we'll go to buy it.

I googled aluminum prices and I see that you're right, aluminum is going down in price for the last roughly 14 months. Price is lowest since Jan of '09.

:focus::focus: :rockon:

Last edited:
Top Bottom