• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Opposite Ends Of The Spectrum.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So in addition to my Wrangler and future Elio, I have decided I need a muscle car again. I had a 2012 Mustang GT which I liked, but it wasn't very quick and had a lot of mechanical issues, so off it went.

I am fairly certain I will be ordering a Challenger Hellcat, which led me to researching it. The Elio is going to have around 50-60 horsepower, 70 tops. The supercharger on the Hellcat takes 80 horsepower just to operate...which is just crazy to think about. I just thought that was staggering that one car wouldn't have enough power to operate the supercharger of another.

Which leads me to another point. Thanks to technology we are seeing two different sides in the auto industry that I never thought possible at the same time, mpg vs. hp. On one side, we have hybrids, the future Elio, tiny diesels, etc that all get very good mpg and are saving people money on ever-increasing gas prices, and on the other side we are seeing the horsepower wars of the 1960's all over again.

And the best part? We can choose one side or the other... or in my case both. I just think that is amazing that there is so much choice in the market today.

Elio1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in addition to my Wrangler and future Elio, I have decided I need a muscle car again. I had a 2012 Mustang GT which I liked, but it wasn't very quick and had a lot of mechanical issues, so off it went.

I am fairly certain I will be ordering a Challenger Hellcat, which led me to researching it. The Elio is going to have around 50-60 horsepower, 70 tops. The supercharger on the Hellcat takes 80 horsepower just to operate...which is just crazy to think about. I just thought that was staggering that one car wouldn't have enough power to operate the supercharger of another.

Which leads me to another point. Thanks to technology we are seeing two different sides in the auto industry that I never thought possible at the same time, mpg vs. hp. On one side, we have hybrids, the future Elio, tiny diesels, etc that all get very good mpg and are saving people money on ever-increasing gas prices, and on the other side we are seeing the horsepower wars of the 1960's all over again.

And the best part? We can choose one side or the other... or in my case both. I just think that is amazing that there is so much choice in the market today.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. I can finally say that I'll be able to afford the car of my dreams, maybe a Ferrari.

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could never understand the HP wars manufacturers participate in and people buy. Speed limit is still 55 for the most part here in VA and it mostly a race from one red light to the other. In the rural part I live in some think a mans manlyhood is judged by how big a step ladder it takes to get into the truck. I also find it funny at times to hear these same people complain about the price of gas.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could never understand the HP wars manufacturers participate in and people buy. Speed limit is still 55 for the most part here in VA and it mostly a race from one red light to the other. In the rural part I live in some think a mans manlyhood is judged by how big a step ladder it takes to get into the truck. I also find it funny at times to hear these same people complain about the price of gas.
I'm the same way. I never understood it. My best friend ( we go back 30 years) had a 196? Chevelle and was so proud that he put loud pipes on it. You could here it coming from a ways off. Exactly what a teenager needs, right? lol I was very happy with my quiet Subaru Sedan. lol

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's for the economy. No fast cars means fewer speeders, means fewer tickets, means less kickbacks to the politicians.
All about money.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I like my big pick-up. Go big or go home. My next truck, when the wheels fall off my Tundra, will hopefully be a bigger truck with a lift kit. I'm not too much for speed (anymore). The problem for me lies in the practicality of it. The bigger the truck, the harder it is for simple things like going to the dump and loading firewood. Makes it tough when it's too tall. And I'm not near as redneck as my photo indicates, I just like a big truck. The Elio will be good to offset the cost of fuel.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like my big pick-up. Go big or go home. My next truck, when the wheels fall off my Tundra, will hopefully be a bigger truck with a lift kit. I'm not too much for speed (anymore). The problem for me lies in the practicality of it. The bigger the truck, the harder it is for simple things like going to the dump and loading firewood. Makes it tough when it's too tall. And I'm not near as redneck as my photo indicates, I just like a big truck. The Elio will be good to offset the cost of fuel.
You. like. big. trucks, and you can not lie.......

Top Bottom