• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One feature I'd overlooked - seat heaters. Yeah, they're nice on a cold winter day - of which we have about a dozen here on the third coast, particularly comfy entering the car with chilly leather seats. But those few occasions alone don't justify the cost/complexity to me.

What does justify it is my advancing age and concurrent back problems, where a nice warm wrap on your lower back is well worth the investment. Even in moderate temperatures, after a day of doing physical tasks I ought not to do, I found there's nothing like settling into my Lexus' cozy leather seats, turning the AC thermostat down to about 68°, and the seat heater up to "broil". A long drive home luxuriating in the therapeutic warmth with my personal heating pad wrapped around my backside eliminates any residual pain and saves me that "WHAT DID I DO TO MYSELF? :eek:" remorse the next morning.

After doing a little research for friends needing to replace the heating elements in their Lexi's seats, I found a pretty decent selection of them available in the aftermarket - even kits complete with switches and/or thermostats to upgrade any leather seating. There are probably even more now. Even if seat heaters not offered as options by EM, if you've used hog-ring pliers and can install seat covers, it would be a relatively easy Saturday job to DIY seat heaters and simple wiring in your Elio.

Not only is it blessed relief for your back during that long drive home, install a heater in the back seat too. Whether you need one for your occasional passenger or not, at least it'll help you get that pizza home nice and warm . . . . ;)
Yep.......I like the heated seats in my current vehicle too. DIY after market heated seats for me might create potential for an Elio fire disaster. I like factory installed options.......and they can screw up too. Fortunately, I can bake a HOT out of the oven from scratch pizza in 4 minutes at home.........no take out or home delivery required.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One feature I'd overlooked - seat heaters.....
if you've used hog-ring pliers and can install seat covers, it would be a relatively easy Saturday job to DIY seat heaters and simple wiring in your Elio.
;)

Yes! And I will add...If you are NOT comfortable using "hog ring pliers", you can find an "upholstery shop" in your area that could do it for a few bucks...especially if you can take the seat out and bring it to them. As for the electrical hookups, most any "stereo/ alarm/ electronics" shop can do it "right." Myself, I have pretty good mechanical abilities, but there are still some things that I am better off "paying a professional" to do for me....ie, window tint!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
As it rarely gets all that cold here in metro Atlanta heated seats are not a big priority for me however I do enjoy remote start. Remote start is nice for both really hot summer days and the few really cold winter days to run the A/C or heat for a bit before climbing in. In a vehicle as small as the Elio it would like only take a few minutes to get the vehicle to a comfortable temperature and on the those cold winter morning this helps with melting off any ice which may have accumulated on the windows overnight.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As it rarely gets all that cold here in metro Atlanta heated seats are not a big priority for me however I do enjoy remote start. Remote start is nice for both really hot summer days and the few really cold winter days to run the A/C or heat for a bit before climbing in. In a vehicle as small as the Elio it would like only take a few minutes to get the vehicle to a comfortable temperature and on the those cold winter morning this helps with melting off any ice which may have accumulated on the windows overnight.
I've never considered remote start, but since I'm going to install an alarm system (just to protect the honest folks from their impulsiveness), and most offer remote unlocking (which would be easy with a one-door car with power lock) along with remote start. Given the small interior dimensions of the Elio, you're right - remote start might well be worth consideration.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes! And I will add...If you are NOT comfortable using "hog ring pliers", you can find an "upholstery shop" in your area that could do it for a few bucks...especially if you can take the seat out and bring it to them. As for the electrical hookups, most any "stereo/ alarm/ electronics" shop can do it "right." Myself, I have pretty good mechanical abilities, but there are still some things that I am better off "paying a professional" to do for me....ie, window tint!
Oh, I agree. There are plenty of upholstery shops that would do this, and I'd probably have it done rather than DIY it anyway. But having redone a couple of interiors myself many years ago, I'm comfortable with the tools and techniques . . . just not the work so much anymore. At least Mom got her sewing machine back.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would rather face the cold than tripple didget temps. It gets cold I can always put on more clothing, it gets hot I can only take of so much before someone is calling the cops......
Our temperatures are normally in the high 90's degrees during the summer days and below 70 at night and remember air-conditioning is standard on the Elio. I'd rather wear shorts and a t-shirt than have to wear some much clothing that I look like the Michelin Man. We are all different with different values however we all share the desire to own an Elio.

Top Bottom